1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 30 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 29 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 23 hours, 29 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

@toth: read Solracht's reply on where I got quoted. As you can see, I don't raid FFXIV hahaha xD -- so I got schooled

Otherwise,

Quote Originally Posted by Toth
    Yet, there are multiple raids in WOW per patch, no? I feel a variety of raids is really lacking in the game.
    Catalysm started out with 2.5 raids (3rd raid was a mini 2 boss raid) then funneled into a single raid per patch until the expansion ended.

As Solracht said:

The main and most important difference for me is the scale: XIV tiers have 4 bosses (5 if you count the raid patch primal) while WoW tiers have 7-12 bosses, like you mentioned. In WoW this allows for a longer progression period, a much smoother difficulty curve, and way more boss variety and loot, which tends to make the raiding experience feel much, much better.
    The cool thing about some raids is that it gave a little forking option, allow groups to tackle encounters differently per wing/sector/section. Here's some examples

Blackwing Descent [Wing1] 2 bosses > [Wing 2] 3 bosses then final boss
    Firelands [Wing 1] 5 bosses, any order > [Wing 2] 1 boss then final boss
    Dragonsoul [Wing 1] 1 boss > [Wing2] 2 bosses > then linear 4 bosses in a row

I believe not all raids had this in Mists expansion; they was a linear raid, but I think it's because of raid finder that could've influenced it

If the raid is linear, so is the difficulty curve, relatively speaking.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    The main thing I want from Undersized mode is for it to be available for all duties - not just old ones. I really shouldn't have to get 8 people to enter things like Alexander Midas/Gordias normal when I could just lowman it. Same thing with the 24mans.
    This is what worries me about Deep Dungeon. Yoshi made it sound like you either take a group of 4 through DF/PF or solo, but nothing in between. There's been enough content that was locked at a specific # of people. What if I wanna duo the whole thing with someone? I should be able to do that. This is one of the major things quashing XIV's interestingness. The lack of gear stat depth is the other. Together they combine to make a pretty dull, on-rails experience. You will never see a XIV version of Avesta because there can be no such thing with how the game is set up.

I will say, I enjoyed EX primals the most when I was lowmanning them in PFs for ponies (although by the time the member restrictions were lifted, they were pretty easy). It was kind of funny how people who had never done it with fewer than 8 fretted over whether we should bring more people - it's so rare for players to have to step out of their comfort zone in XIV battles. And the most fun I ever had in a dungeon was when our tank bailed on 2nd boss in Pharos Sirius HM when it was still new content. Finishing the dungeon without a tank was a rush. It was legitimately difficult, just glad I was paired with 2 other very competent people and we were actually able to clear. Of course, you're never supposed to do this in XIV. It's not supposed to be an option. And that's depressing because it leads players who like to overcome challenge by themselves to simply move to another game.

XI has player # requirements to an extent too, though, even for old content. There's a few things (Delve, Vagary) that require 3+ players to enter even though you can wreck everything solo with trusts now. It's extremely inconvenient.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Lyall View Post
    Googling around shows that patch 1.23b was the last 1.x patch, and it came out in September of 2012, so it might actually only be four~ years of development, with three of them on live servers.

To my limited understanding, that's not a lot of time to put together instanced housing AND open world content AND meaningful endgame AND all of the bells and whistles people want because it was in another game.
    Apples to apples, that would be like comparing release day JP XI to TAU. And that was when SE had no clue on how to make an MMO.

In comparison, 2.x+ XIV has barely tread water. The difference between retail JP XI and TAU is stark.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

There isn't a "minimum ilevel" setting for DF-formed duties. It only works for premade parties, just like "undersized" mode.

The main thing I want from Undersized mode is for it to be available for all duties - not just old ones. I really shouldn't have to get 8 people to enter things like Alexander Midas/Gordias normal when I could just lowman it. Same thing with the 24mans.
    Well ok, but you get my point and what you want showcases another feature of this inflexibility. DF, imo, was supposed to be a system which helped players group easily, but by enforcing the 4/8man requirement outside of DF they're taking it away from players who want to play in such undersized groups. It probably doesn't help that fights are designed to have mechanics that essentially require that full party and a specific group setup.

Less handholding and rails on would feel much better

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I feel like the Party Finder addresses the complaints you raised near the end of your first post, I really don't see why you think the extra options have to baked into the DF itself when a system to go off the rails already exists. The DF is meant to be a simple, automatic tool to do the duty the standard way - the PF is the grouping tool you want.

What are your issues with the PF exactly?

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I just think there's a gap to fill in the DF.

The way I see it, DF/instances could be tiered like so

minimum ilvl -> normal DF -> Unsynced DF with light/full PT with role requirements -> current Undersized.

You're going to need friends or PF for undersized (unless you solo).
    Right now if you merely want to unsync you'd still need to PF, which is more restrictive and u can't pull from across servers. It's something you could easily automate.

I also feel like it would make some DF dungeons/raids relevant. Coil is on DF but no one queues for it there because they'd rather undersize it and whatever value they gain from the fight doesn't require them to be capped. It's stuff like that the current DF/PF doesn't address well enough

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

The PF is supposed to be getting cross server functionality in a patch or two.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

The PF is supposed to be getting cross server functionality in a patch or two.
    Only for raids as I understand it. I think that was even confirmed. Just raid finder.

Personally, I hate level capping. CoP and XI serves as a good example of how it's detrimental to content gating, but as others noted, it also eliminates the possibility of overpowering content later on when it's likely not popular, anyway. Or helping late-comer friends. On the other hand, some people give the vibe that they feel a piece of content should last forever. When I finished my Homam set in XI, I didn't really want to do Omega anymore. Sure, I'd do the occasional fight to help a friend or something, but Limbus wasn't going to remain a priority in my personal calendar. To that effect, I was "done" with it even if there wasn't some Homam+1 to chase at the same time. And while they could go the RME style by adding currency grinds to content, I'm not inclined to say SE was ever "responsible" in this regard. Remember how a lot of us joked about the XI log-in message? Pretty much utter hypocrisy there.

Anyway, not to go all broken record, I hunger for an MMO that isn't all about raiding or dungeon spamming. Partying up may be a reasonably faster way of progressing, but it shouldn't be the only option. And while I'm aware that flies in the face of those who seek prestige, there's literally the rest of the genre still clinging to that paradigm. I just want to see the open world mean something again, and not through timed spawns. This is grossly simplifying what I want, but I'd just say it's a start.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4