King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    So lets ban political islam.
    Cuz that's what I said. Stop being purposefully obtuse. If you don't understand what I mean by political islam, then you need to get out your left echo chamber and look into the issues concerning it. Otherwise, discussing the topic is pointless with you.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Muslims are actively involved in <50% of our mass shootings. Guns are actively involved in all of them.

Legislating against a belief (in this case, a religion) is also stupid and impossible to enforce.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mistmonster View Post
    Further, he JUST bought those 2 guns legally in the last few days. So the FBI knew about him and the use of his gun permit raised no red flags.
    Being on the terror watch list is not used as a factor when determining if someone is competent to purchase a firearm. Thanks, NRA.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

this thread is great

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

If two dozen dead schoolchildren weren't enough to change anything, this isn't going to do it either, especially since you're going to have the same people who are scared of being in a bathroom with a transgender person thinking that this was divine punishment for sinning or some nonsense like that.

The really sad thing is that this will happen again and we will have the same exact responses from everyone, and nothing will change.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    The entire situation is a gigantic fucking hotbed. LGBT, Muslim/ISIS, gun control, even goddamn Internet censorship, to say nothing of the sheer number of people killed. Probably gonna be some pretty far reaching effects from this for years to come.
    Pretty much this. Just got back to my place in the heart of downtown DC and there's a lot of pissed off people outside of bars / coffee shops and a few people with megaphones shouting in the street. DC is one of the most gay-friendly metros out there along with San Fran. Pride parade yesterday was massive.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    Cuz that's what I said. Stop being purposefully obtuse. If you don't understand what I mean by political islam, then you need to get out your left echo chamber and look into the issues concerning it. Otherwise, discussing the topic is pointless with you.
    Did you read my post?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by mistmonster View Post
    Further, he JUST bought those 2 guns legally in the last few days. So the FBI knew about him and the use of his gun permit raised no red flags.
    CNN was saying that he was allowed to bypass several layers of background checks because he was a licensed security guard. Now, a good question would further be why is a guy known to the FBI to be a possible threat allowed to become (or maintain) a security guard license?

Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet View Post
    If two dozen dead schoolchildren weren't enough to change anything, this isn't going to do it either
    ^

If a bunch of white kids in Connecticut getting massacred barely lead to anything, a bunch of sinful homos in Orlando getting shot isn't gonna lead to dick.

This is what America is, stop being so shocked every time it happens.

And hey, on the bright side, I'm sure gun retailers are grateful for the coming sales surge this guy just gave them.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet View Post
    If two dozen dead schoolchildren weren't enough to change anything, this isn't going to do it either, especially since you're going to have the same people who are scared of being in a bathroom with a transgender person thinking that this was divine punishment for sinning or some nonsense like that.

The really sad thing is that this will happen again and we will have the same exact responses from everyone, and nothing will change.
    There is a large contingent of people (crazy people, but people whose vote counts just as much as yours and mine) who believe the Newtown shooting was completely fabricated and staged by the Obama administration to get harsher gun control laws enacted.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/gop-block...ts-buying-guns

^ This is why he could still buy a gun

^ Makes a poignant point about the failures of regulation

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm pretty moderate as far as BG goes, but there really is no reason for the AR-15 (a civilian version of the military M-16) and similar weapons to be legal. Yes, truly devoted individuals will find a way to obtain assault weapons regardless of legality, but you can apply that concept to myriad other corollaries ("truly devoted individuals will find a way to obtain heroin regardless of legality..."); it does not mean those corollaries should be legal. The biggest benefit to making these weapons illegal comes from basic economics.

1) US illegalizes the AR-15 for civilian use
    2) Gun manufacturers cut production as demand wanes from one of their largest markets
    3) Over time, less AR-15s remain in circulation and the cost for procuring said weapon rises

In the end, lunatics without direct terrorism funding end up being forced to select a more affordable, and less efficient killing mechanism. You'll never eliminate random or motivated acts of violence entirely; it's really about erecting as many feasible barriers to entry as possible without going full nanny state.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Being on the terror watch list is not used as a factor when determining if someone is competent to purchase a firearm. Thanks, NRA.
    This right here could have prevented this shooting. Every one keeps their guns, and backround checks take an extra 20 seconds, unbelievable that we have a terror watch list but don't use it for anything worthwhile.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    I'm pretty moderate as far as BG goes, but there really is no reason for the AR-15 (a civilian version of the military M-16) and similar weapons to be legal. Yes, truly devoted individuals will find a way to obtain assault weapons regardless of legality, but you can apply that concept to myriad other corollaries ("truly devoted individuals will find a way to obtain heroin regardless of legality..."); it does not mean those corollaries should be legal. The biggest benefit to making these weapons illegal comes from basic economics.

2) Gun manufacturers cut production as demand wanes from one of their largest markets
    3) Over time, less AR-15s remain in circulation and the cost for procuring said weapon rises

In the end, lunatics without direct terrorism funding end up being forced to select a more affordable, and less efficient killing mechanism. You'll never eliminate random or motivated acts of violence entirely; it's really about erecting as many feasible barriers to entry as possible without going full nanny state.
    pls stop trying to take our guns

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    This right here could have prevented this shooting. Every one keeps their guns, and backround checks take an extra 20 seconds, unbelievable that we have a terror watch list but don't use it for anything worthwhile.
    but wont you think about the gun makers that need every sale possible? god why do you hate america so much

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

This is the point some amendment supporters seem to not understand.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

you know who is throwing up hella praise allahs right now? Brock Turner and his family

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    you know who is throwing up hella praise allahs right now? Brock Turner and his family
    Lol.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Itt; people who think a gun ban would prevent terrorists from getting access to them.
    People aren't fucking genies. They can't just wish things into existence. By your logic, nothing should be banned. The fact of the matter is that banning things, including assault weapons, is effective.

This guy was a domestic terrorist because of what he did, not because of his affiliations. Being labeled a terrorist does not grant one the magical propensity to conjure weapons into existence, and the U.S. is separated from ISIS by the Atlantic. This guy is not comparable to the organized ISIS cells that attacked Paris, some of whom crossed an easily exploitable land border with supplies.

It was his status as an American that allowed him to acquire the assault weapon that gave him the direct power to slaughter dozens in minutes, not any terrorist affiliation. If you make it hard-to-impossible for American civilians to purchase assault weapons, then it will be hard-to-impossible for would-be domestic terrorists to acquire them.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Come on guys... can you seriously say aloud "This mentally unstable murderer driven by a zealous devotion would have never committed this crime if not for the availability of guns" and not choke on your own shit? He was on a watchlist for multiple years, interviewed, etc and still managed to pull this off. If anything I'd agree being upset he was able to purchase firearms while on an FBI terrorist watchlist (which is where I agree with Byrth, but also have to be careful because restricting someone based on suspicion is a slippery slope between paranoid robbery of rights and legitimate concern)

But this instance is a mental health problem exacerbated by a radical group telling these kids their religion wants them to murder non-believers and you will be rewarded for doing so.

I get that when a shooting happens the first reaction is "BAN THE GUNS" but when you reach the point that murdering for whatever your ideology is, you wont be stopped by laws, our only hope is law enforcement catching them before the act and reasonable laws and restrictions (which many would argue we already have in place). We'll never prevent mass murders, shooting or bombing or otherwise...

You make a good point on the AR-15, and I don't disagree with trying to do your best to keep things out of the hands of the wrong person... So I get the idea of erecting more walls in order to help prevent situations like these but even if we make more walls now, the next time a mass shooting happens people will go "IT WASNT ENOUGH, MORE LAWS" until we enter a full "nanny state" as you put it. Shootings will continue to happen as we put up more laws, we all know it, and every time a new one happens there will be yelling for more laws to stop it until they just yell to ban firearms all together, as some already are now.

Does that mean we shouldn't try? No, laws exist for a reason and I do believe there should be restrictions on some tings... but we have laws for firearms... and I can't tell you I have a better solution... so I'm at a loss here, but I feel like just slapping more and more chains on guns isn't going to save lives, and I'd argue criminals having knowledge that guns are more and more rare due to laws will actually just endanger more people, Especially on a more personal house-hold/business level.

And for what its worth, I don't own a single firearm.

Edit: To clarify I'm no against reasonable restrictions, which again some would argue we already have... just against knee-jerk extreme restrictions. And I agree with Byrth on some levels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast