FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Details
    Spoiler: show

Everything, everywhere changes.

Change is an essential part of life. In creative development change is often the explosive spark that transforms good enough into truly memorable.

Several years ago we at Santa Monica Studio began the journey of creating a new God of War. All of us recognized a special honor and responsibility to create a different and better and truly more memorable experience than before. I realized early on that we had to make changes in every aspect of the game.

I knew I didn’t want to simply reboot the franchise, starting over with a retelling of the origin story. I wanted to reimagine the gameplay, give players a fresh perspective and a new tactile experience while delving deeper into the emotional journey of Kratos to explore the compelling drama that unfolds when an immortal demigod makes a decision to change.

For Kratos, this change means breaking the cycle of violence, distrust and deception that his family, the Greek pantheon, perpetuated for so long. That cycle drove a whole host of bad decisions – the ill-fated deal with Ares, the murder of his family and a rage fueled descent into madness and vengeance that ultimately ended with the epic destruction of Olympus.

It also means learning how to control his rage, the intensely turbulent monster that lives within him, steering him down ever-darker paths. Kratos needed to figure out how to put the monster back in the box, how to control when he does and does not let that monster out.

Kratos’ rage has provoked a ton of bad decisions in his life, so I was fascinated to see what would happen if he actually made a good one. What would that look like? How would he struggle with this very difficult and unfamiliar road? And more importantly, why would he do this?

The last question was answered in my own life with the birth of my son, a tremendously transformative event that had me thinking about all kinds of change in life. It is hard for human beings to truly change, but one thing that can really motivate us is the thought of being responsible for a life, and especially the life of our child. The weight of that responsibility drives the instinct to protect, to want to prevent the mistakes of our past being delivered upon them. There is no end to the lengths we will go, no adversity we will not overcome, to be better… for them.

Once the decision to change was made, things got really interesting for Kratos and for all of us here at SMS. The road to creating a new God of War is a seemingly endless climb up an impossibly enormous mountain, filled with countless gut-wrenching failures and joyfully sweet successes.

Change is hard, but through it all we persevere, getting back up each time we are knocked down and celebrating each breakthrough, knowing that this journey ends in the realization of a collective vision – a great change in something we all hold very dear – a chance for us all to be better.
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...of-war-on-ps4/

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Maybe this is just a way to throw people off. Like when the kid brutally dies like Joel's kid in the beginning of TLOU it'll send Kratos off the handle again, this time at the Norse gods for fucking with his life again the game will shift to the classic God of War. Probably not, but here's hoping.
    I feel like that would be even worse because then it'd just be Kratos again. I'm tired of Kratos. There's only so many times I want to solo the world as a bald, enraged white man before it becomes less about the actual gameplay and more about seeing a prettier bald, enraged white man slaughter prettier fodder.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Damn, supa hype!

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

man this really makes me want to get around to play 2 and 3 and also 4 if 4 is a thing LOL

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

This new one is nothing like the rest of the series tho, and seems entirely disconnected story wise too.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well Kratos still has the scars and the ashes from the other games, so I'd say they are within the same continuity, just decades? hundreds? of years later.

Also God of War 2/3 are fantastic games. I really didn't understand all the hate around them. Not at the time they came out, just more so now. People call them boring, tired games etc. I think they are extraordinarily well crafted and a lot of fun. The story isn't super deep or anything, but it's enough to keep you entertained for the course of the game.

God of War Ascension is the only one that's kind of a mixed opinion from me. I played and beat it, it just was not necessary whatsoever. But Sony Santa Monica put it out so they had something in between. The multiplayer was also pretty fun.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I really liked 1 and 2; enough to beat them both on all difficulties.

Only beat 3 on normal, and never tried the rest, but still enjoyed it.

I hope 4 is awesome.

Ridill
    BG Level

So we have the world serpent, Jormoungand, wolves(which could be Fenrir, and a woman (possibly Hel); the 3 children of Loki.

I'm guessing Kratos is going to be working on the "bad" side of Ragnorok unbeknownstingly.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Myr said I should dodge roll
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fiendish One
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

April 20th official release date.
    I preordered the stone mason deluxe edition, a mere $150.
    Well worth it cuz I do love me some Kratos.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Matthias Moraga
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I gotta say, I am very hyped for this game.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendishone View Post
    April 20th official release date.
    I preordered the stone mason deluxe edition, a mere $150.
    Well worth it cuz I do love me some Kratos.
    order it on bestbuy for the gamer discount

dad of war

Myr said I should dodge roll
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fiendish One
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Did just that.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MyTitthias View Post
    People of PlayStation the world over, God of War is launching April 20, 2018.

I would love to write a long blog post here but, apparently, I have a game to get done by 4/20 so I gotta get back to work as soon as possible.

First, let me say that this is my favorite release day of my entire career. If I live to be 100, I do not think I will be able to top this release day.

There has been a long journey just to reach this point, so it’s a little bittersweet to think that we are only a few months away from that journey finally coming to an end. While I am sad, I am also excited because it means everyone will get their hands on this crazy adventure we have been crafting for nearly five years!

Speaking of trailers. Yeah, I just lost interest finding an elegant way to get here from the last paragraph so I just went for it. That is just how I roll. I really am ecstatic that I can finally show you this beautiful trailer we have been cooking up in the creative kitchens of Santa Monica Studio headquarters. It will give you more insight on why Kratos and Atreus are going on their journey as well as provide a glimpse at some new bits of action.

So, April 20, 2018…mark the date on your calendar, people. Clear that schedule, tell your significant other they are wonderful, because that is always a nice thing to do, and then wonder what you will do with all that free time you have now that you don’t need to keep asking me when the release date is.

Thank you everyone for your continued support of our game-making addiction. I will do my best to keep sharing information as we head towards launch.

... But wait, there’s more! I’m proud to share our limited Collector’s Editions and Digital Deluxe Edition, whose every component is connected back to the Norse universe and story of our game.

Pre-Order Offer

I should first mention, if you pre-order any edition (or already did) at a supporting retailer, you’ll acquire these three legendary shield skins (which you’ll need internet connectivity to access!) for Kratos to bash and defend against all manner of creatures we created in the brutal Norse wilds.

If you pre-order any edition at GameStop or EB Games, you’ll also receive Luck of Ages XP Boost, which grants +10 Luck and has 1 Enchantment Slot.

Luck influences the following:

• Increase XP gain
    • Increase Hacksilver gain
    • Increase the ability to trigger Perks

Collector’s Edition | $129.99 USD/$169.99 CAD

The 9’’ statue was crafted by our team in collaboration with the incredible folks at Gentle Giant. The cloth map is a unique companion to your journey, and an art piece on its own. The Huldra Bros carvings pack as much detail as their personas do in game. Just a few of the highlights, not to mention the digital items as well!

Stone Mason Edition | $149.99 USD/$199.99 CAD (EB Games Exclusive in Canada)

Available in the US and Canada only, this edition includes everything in the Collector’s Edition along with four very distinct, rare items directly from the game. You might recognize Atreus’ wooden Horse and Troll carvings from our E3 2016 debut. They complete the collection with the Huldra Bros, btw. The Stone Mason Ring is a finely crafted piece of jewelry, whose story we won’t spoil. The talking Mimir Head keychain may be your personal favorite after you interact with him in game. Massive credit to Gentle Giant capturing the exquisite detail of these!

Digital Deluxe Edition | $69.99USD/$89.99 CAD

If digital only is king for you, we didn’t forget. Adorn the legendary Death’s Vow Armor Set to increase your strength, and honor the solemn promise that sends Kratos and Atreus on their journey through the Norse wilds of Midgard and beyond. The digital comic book from Dark Horse, Issue #0 starts to unearth the story of Kratos before his quest with Atreus begins. Not to mention both the digital comic and mini art book will come with exclusive creator commentary tracks.

Finally, available to addresses in the US and Canada only, pre-order this Digital Deluxe beauty to get a sweet, exclusive, shiny, limited-run God of War physical pin.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post

Amazon can do the same. 47 for base game.