Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goldsmithing guide (2016)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Goldsmithing guide (2016)

Crafting has changed a lot, what with the changes to how skillups work, introduction of RoE items, and mat price/availability changes. Most of the old guides aren't relevant anymore.

I'm going to make a new Goldsmithing guide 1-110 and obviously anyone is welcomed to toss in guides for other crafts.

A couple of general notes:
    * Always use Kitron Macarons
    * I prefer to start synthing something when I'm 5 levels below it (with advanced support) and then will take it past cap if it's useful or particularly cheap. Sometimes you end up with longer gaps than that, but it's not ideal.
    * There are now two guild NPCs. One of them is always open and sells kits and mats, but the materials are typically more expensive than the least expensive normal guild NPC price. Buy from whichever has the item for cheapest. Not all items are available on both.
    * Change your job to WHM or RDM and set the 30 synths RoE quest. You eventually want to be level 70 on this character so you can wear a torque. RoE quest won't get you there, but it will get you to 25 or 30 so you can cast Sneak/Invis.

Goldsmithing:

Your major cost with this guide is going to be Crystals. There is somewhere in sky with 4 elementals of a given type close together, and you can just farm them over and over for clusters. You get about 1.5-2 clusters/kill with TH, so it takes about 2 hours of farming a given element to get 10 stacks of clusters and you will probably not need anymore to hit 110.
    Fire: The area near Faust has 4 fire elementals on a ~5 minute repop timer.
    Wind: One of the corners on the first floor has wind clusters, iirc.

Stockpile:
    * Mythril Ore
    * Geodes
    * Avarites
    * Elemental Ore
    * Orichalcum Ore
    * Guild Points

Path:
    1-5: Copper Ingot (Copper Ore x4 + Fire Crystal) : Buy Copper Ore from a Guild NPC (don't use the kit)

5-10: Brass Ingot (Copper Ore x3 + Zinc Ore + Fire Crystal) : Buy all mats from the NPCs

10-15: Brass Sheet (Brass Ingot + Fire Crystal) : Use up the Brass ingots you just made

15-23 : Silver Ingot (Silver Ore x4 + Fire Crystal) : Buy Silver Ore from the Guild NPC

23-27 : Silver Hairpin (Silver Ingot + Wind Crystal) : Use up some of the Silver ingots you just made and NPC these

27-35 : Spark Spear (Brass Spear[RoE] + Copper Ingot + Fire Crystal) : Use up your copper ingots and NPC these

35-40 : Mythril Ingot (Mythril Ore x4 + Fire Crystal) : Try to buy these off the AH. If prices for mythril ingots on the AH are cheaper making them, don't take this past 36 and just buy ingots to turn into sheets off the AH. Goldsmithing 40 kits may be price-comparable to ores depending on the server.

40-46 : Mythril Sheet (Mythril Ingot + Fire Crystal) : Convert your ingots into sheets. If Mythril Ingots are cheaper than 20k/stack on your server, keep buying more and converting them for free skillups, as sheets NPC for like 1.8k each.

46-58 : Geode (Geode + Wind Crystal) : Hopefully you stockpiled these. Grind them out.

58-70 : Platinum Ingot (Platinum Ore x4 + Fire Crystal) : You are going to want shittons of Platinum stuff when you're 110, so there's no reason to hold off. If platinum ore is hovering near 6k each on your server, just buy from the guild NPC and grind this stage out. Expect to invest about 10mil into platinum here. -- Entire Cursed Koenig set

70-73+ : Platinum Sheet (Platinum Ingot + Fire Crystal) : Some of the platinum you'll want at 110 is platinum sheets. Might as well convert some while they can give you skillups. -- Cursed Deichlings, Schaller, and Cuirass

Other good synths for this period: Oberon's Gold Ingot -> Oberon's Gold Sheet, Marble Nugget

73-92 : Avarite (Avarite + Wind Crystal) : Hopefully you heeded the notes and stockpiled these. Grind them out.

82-92 : Elemental Bead (Elemental Ore + Wind Crystal) : Again, stockpiled hopefully.

84-92 : Orichalcum Ingot (Orichalcum Ore x3 + Platinum Ore + Fire Crystal) : Again, stockpiled hopefully. -- You will use these in Cursed Cuirass.

87-93 : Rhodium ingots (Rhodium Ore x4 + Fire Crystal) : Keep Rhodium if you want to make rings.

At this point, you should take a break, level to 70 and do LBs, level smithing+alchemy subcrafts, and get GP items. You will want to have the Crafting HQ ring from Adoulin, torque, stall, glasses, and apron before you do the next push. I will assume you have level 70 smithing, alchemy, and all the items after this point.

With Skill+12 (including advanced support), you can Tier 1 a synth one level above you. Without Kupo shield, no one can reach Tier 2 on anything above level 91, so your HQ rate on these synths is the same as a 110+12 crafter. This is ultimately the largest secret to leveling a craft these days. There's no reason to be inferior to a 110+12 crafter above level 91, so everything you do after this point can be profit. If a lower level synth is profit and you have mats for it, feel free to keep doing it for skill as long as it isn't >11 levels below you. The listed level is the lowest level you should start attempting this synth

92 : Cursed Deichlings (Cermet Chunk + Darksteel Cuisses + Platinum Ingot + Platinum Sheet + Fire Crystal) : NPC your NQs.

92 : Bewitched Deichlings (Cursed Deichling -1 + Eschite Ore + Fire Crystal) : Hope

93 : Cursed Schuhs (Cermet Chunk x2 + Darksteel Sabtons + Platinum Ingot x2 + Fire Crystal) : Save your -1s for when you are 110 and can Tier 2 the upgrade synth.

94-100 : Snowsteel Ingot (Snowsteel Ore x4 + Fire Crystal) : Sell single ingots for RUN

95 : Cursed Handschuhs (Cermet Chunk + Darksteel Gauntlets + Platinum Ingot x2 + Fire Crystal) : Convert your -1s using Eschite Ore.

95 : Rhodium Ring (Rhodium Ingot x2 + Fire Crystal) : Can upgrade the rings to Avarite rings with synergy, I think.

96 : Cursed Schaller (Cermet Chunk + Copper Ingot + Darksteel Sheet + Gold Ingot + Platinum Chain + Platinum Sheet + Sheep Leather + Fire Crystal) : Convert your -1s using Eschite Ore.

97 : Cursed Cuirass (Cermet Chunk x3 + Darksteel Cuirass + Orichalcum Ingot + Platinum Chain + Platinum Sheet + Platinum Ingot + Fire Crystal) : Convert your -1s using Eschite Ore

At level 97, you are a high enough level to make 110+12 profit off all Voodoo Souveran pieces except Voodoo Schuhs. Consider whether you want to continue.

To break above this point, you will need to grind Cursed Koenig, Snowsteel, Hepatizon, and Ormolu ingot synths. Snowsteel and Ormolu have supply issues, so it'll mostly be Cursed and Hepatizon ingots with the latter giving better skillups.

100-110 : Hepatizon Ingot (Mythril Ore x3 + Hepatizon ore x1 + Fire Crystal) : Dump back onto the AH

104 : Nepenthe Grip [Requires Chainwork KI] (Mandrel + Rhodium Ingot + Gabbanth Horn + Fire Crystal) : Sell, make money

Various hexed synths, which you can look up

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Following this guide and I'm at 89 now, probably 92 or 93 before I run out of avarites, orichalcum ore, etc. I have probably invested 6-10mil, but I have 6-10mil worth of processed materials on me waiting for use in the rest of the path. Avarite processing is a surprisingly profitable section, as NQ synths yield a gem worth 2.4k (or up to 3.6k at the guild NPC) and I bought most of the Avarites for 1k each or less.

Edit: Hit 91 and ran out of avarites. Took maybe 600 or 700? Fortunately I have over 2000 wind crystals stored from Gain XP since the Ephemeral Moogle update. Going to convert some elemental ores and orichalcum ores and try to make good.

Edit2: 2 stacks of Orichalcum Ingots and maybe 40 elemental ore got me to 92.2, where I'll sit until I get the 185k GP, 40 more levels, and torque required to Tier 1 synths while skilling up.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Great idea making a new 2016 guide. I might do the same for a few others at some point.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I can make one for Leathercraft 1-110 easily

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

As an update, this mule is now level 41, with 97.1+5 Goldsmithing, 70 Smithing, 51 Alchemy, 36 Woodworking, and 40k/170k GP. The last 4 Goldsmithing levels were mostly unintentional, just converting Ores and making Orichalcum Ingots and such while I wait on GP. I need to get his main job level to 70 somehow.

I'd like to point out that silver ore, for me at least, is 450 gil each from the always in stock npc, or atm 356 gil each from the limited one. goldsmith 20 kits on the other hand, cost only 1050 gil each (and are easier on the inventory!), making them cheaper than both options for crafting silver ingots.

::Edit:: and also, you have spark spear listed with fire crystal to craft... it's earth crystal. ;3

::Edit 2:: mythril ore x4 is only worth it if its 12k or less a stack on AH. otherwise, goldsmith kit 40 costs 4150 gil each and also produces mythril ingot, much cheaper than buying ores for 1500-2k each from the npc.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Great idea byrth skilling up on cursed Koenig stuff, i'm almost 110 while hqing 3 pieces of gear. Gonna work on hqing body to cap out at 110.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Oric. ingots are 3 oric. ore 1 plat. ore.

you had it as 4x oric. ore

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The changes to skillups below level 70 are nice. Followed this guide and got Gold sub from 0 - 70 in a day. Thanks Byrth!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

So do the furnishing you get with GP for like 150k and 200k or whatever they are do anything if you have the stall in your mog house? Ones the sign and I cant remember the other.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Not as far as we know, no.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Ok thanks i will skip them for now and work on the rest of the KIs then.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

When you say:
    96 : Cursed Schaller (Cermet Chunk + Copper Ingot + Darksteel Sheet + Gold Ingot + Platinum Chain + Platinum Sheet + Sheep Leather + Fire Crystal) : Convert your -1s using Eschite Ore.
    Do you npc the NQs or do people still buy those? Just curious cause u say npc NQs in one place and then just convert -1s in others. I see u can make the 119 abjurations from them but with other materials that might cost a pretty penny, so wasnt sure if that synth was worth it, or jsut npc the NQs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I always NPC my NQs no matter what I'm making.

Myr said I should dodge roll
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fiendish One
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I got to 104 on mule before I quit and can't remember back that far what I skilled up on, thought I had a guide bookmarked but it was on an older pc whose HD crashed ><
    Never could make those -1 hexed feet but that was mostly due to lack of Ormolu Ingots so only got in like 5 attempts lol

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'm making a Goldsmithing mule using this guide, but I've gotten stuck due to severe lack of mats on my server. I'm stuck at 94 Goldsmithing and making Muscle Belts whenever I find materials up on the AH.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Orichalcum ring + element bead goes to 102 (higher with the change). Ingots are expensive. You can farm ODS (easy to solo).

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I'm just going to float that almost all skillup materials more than double in price during a double synthesis skillup campaign. Unless you're stockpiling mats or buying out the AH on day 1, it's more expensive to skillup during a campaign than outside of it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I'm just going to float that almost all skillup materials more than double in price during a double synthesis skillup campaign. Unless you're stockpiling mats or buying out the AH on day 1, it's more expensive to skillup during a campaign than outside of it.
    2nd this... some things you can watched double in price every couple of days. This time provides an interesting thing for those that plan out though. Generally while the prices go up the supply does as well and there is sometimes with some materials a period after the campaign ends which was like last night when prices come down but supply is still higher. So might be a good time to stock up with another campaign next week

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendishone View Post
    I got to 104 on mule before I quit and can't remember back that far what I skilled up on, thought I had a guide bookmarked but it was on an older pc whose HD crashed ><
    Never could make those -1 hexed feet but that was mostly due to lack of Ormolu Ingots so only got in like 5 attempts lol
    You probably were doing silver cassandras and gave up as iirc at the time everything past 105 used Ormolu ingots. But now you can get 11 higher than the cap on something so goldsmithing is a bit easier