Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Pretty sure this is a SE thing because no other company does this, makes you pay monthly for storage. Most F2P games its just a one time payment to unlock inventory space not a monthly recurring charge.

Been playing FFXIV actually totally out of space since I only have the 2 free retainers, have all the jobs and crafts leveled didn't want to pay the $2 a month for more space. In FFXI though it really isn't much of a problem for me I still have a mostly empty mog safe 2, and 1/3rd full mog wardrobe and an empty mog wardrobe 2.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Nah, quite a few other MMOs have a recurring fee by slapping an expiration date on extensions depending on how F2P built the game is, most typical is every 14/30/45 days you have to end up paying again or you pay for a bigger "package", it definitely is an "SE thing" with what they're doing with XIV in particular though, not just the retainer thing but overall with that game's design.

I think FFXI should be Free-2-Play
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    It took me a loooooooong time to actually get to a "useful level" when I returned, so having a way to "speed up the catch up process" in that regard I see working quite well for XI, mog wardrobe 3 and 4 is just a start but honestly, I just won't be surprised if they do go that route. The sub fee will likely be reduced long before they do anything like that though.
    IMO half the fun in FFXI is to figure out how to "get there" though, for example you can farm gil and pay merc, transfer to Asura and group with other returning players, make friend or bribe/cyber with LS leader to get invite, plan an efficient way to gear up your character and choose which job to gear up smartly, and the list goes on. All these online interactions, or learn to use time/resource efficiently are all part of playing FFXI. There are people that "get there" fast using various methods, and there are people that can't get there. Trying to figure out how to get there as fast as other people is half the fun in this game.

IMO pay to win completely defeat the purpose of playing FFXI, since it removed half of the online interaction in this game and it's no longer required to use time/resource efficiently.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Viar View Post
    IMO half the fun in FFXI is to figure out how to "get there" though
    That was more half the headache for me. There's so much gearbloat near the item-level cap last time I played that I got lost trying to figure out what came from what event, what pre-reqs I needed for it, and whether or not I had to grind old content to +1/+2 old gear to then turn it to iLvl variants.

Stuck wiki surfing for a couple hours and drawing your own table of order of acquisition, and then seeing if you have friends that can help you through some of it since you're likely not geared enough to do it on your own yet.

Anyways, this kind of storage is a slap in the face to existing subscribers. They should have started with something less gameplay-affecting instead of jumping straight halfway up the slippery-slope first.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    That was more half the headache for me. There's so much gearbloat near the item-level cap last time I played that I got lost trying to figure out what came from what event, what pre-reqs I needed for it, and whether or not I had to grind old content to +1/+2 old gear to then turn it to iLvl variants.

Stuck wiki surfing for a couple hours and drawing your own table of order of acquisition, and then seeing if you have friends that can help you through some of it since you're likely not geared enough to do it on your own yet.
    This is where I have been since I re-started playing (in February or something, lol...) and you suck so much without gear that you don't even wanna ask other people for groups because you'll stick out like a sore thumb. It is a pretty tough design currently. But you can also spend months doing all the content obtaining situational pieces like fast cast gear and obis, esp if you are starting from scratch like I opted to. I still prefer it to XIV's method of making easily obtainable gear obsolete almost as soon as you get it.

But then, if you enjoy playing a lot of jobs on a single character (which the system is set up for) you are always short on inventory space. I think the most galling thing really is that one of the best things about XI/XIV is that you only need one character to experience all facets of the game, and yet SE wants to charge you an arm and a leg for the inventory space to utilize that system effectively.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    and yet SE wants to charge you an arm and a leg for the inventory space to utilize that system effectively.
    Nah not an ar m, jus t 4$!

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Whos inventory is so pillaged that they need wardrobe 3 n 4?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Spoiler: show
    It won't. It'll result in Wardrobes 5 and 6 instead.
    Thank you for bringing me back to reality

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Whos inventory is so pillaged that they need wardrobe 3 n 4?
    I see it more as something to reduced the need to spend time swapping gear in the mog house. Or a way to manage the sheer amount of unstorable, unmailable augmented gear one could work towards now. I have Wardrobe 1&2 chock full of accessories and a handful of multi-job items/weapons, but still need to rotate inventory contents for different jobs.

Don't remind me how awful it was to gear up a job manually (only to find out you left 1 or 2 pieces in your safe or on a Storage Slip). I'm so spoiled by Gearswap/Organizer now- I'm pretty sure I'd just quit if those things ever stopped working.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I could use more wardrobe. just not sure Id want to pay for it monthly

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

If you play multiple jobs and use vanity gear or collect anything like swords, I can see people running out of space. I am running out of space myself because I try to gear a lot of different jobs up with multiple augments/capes etc.

Campaign
    BG Level

^ what Draylo said.
    This is my current bag situation:

Mog Safe => Almost full, thanks to Bonanza. I use this to store mats, various random stuff, currencies, my cooking gear, random items I still need to find an use for before I decide wether to convert to Aman Vouchers, Mule or put into one of my luas.
    Safe2, Storage => Overall around 20 free inv space atm. Filled with lockstyle shit and stuff I can't mule/porter but don't wanna trash either.
    Locker, Sack, Case => Pretty much full with gear I use for my ~8 geared up jobs. Not sure how much free inventory space, but not a lot
    Satchel => Filled with stuff I wanna handle manually instead than with Organizer (some weapons, some ammo, Ninjutsu stuff, medicines, food, consumables, various stuff like that. Pretty close to 80/80)
    Wardrobe1, 2 => Filled with gear. I favoured items which get used in multiple luas over those I use for a single job, with some exceptions here and there. Overall... dunno, like 6 free inv space atm.

Sooo... I'm not really starving for more space, but I would enjoy Wardrobe3 & 4, or at least one of them. But as I mentioned before I'm not giving SE a single penny unless they reduce the monthly fee. Don't wanna spend anything more than what I'm currently spending, basically.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

LOL! I was really considering coming back. But lets see...
    €13 per month for 1 character
    +€1 for 1 mule
    +€1.7 for each wardrobe upgrade (for some reason the EU site only lists the price of the upgrades in £ and it's 1.40, so I converted it to € using today's exchange rate)

So it comes to a total of €17.4 to get those upgrades and retain my main with 1 mule.
    For you all Americans, that's $19.38 USD at today's exchange rate. Almost 20 bucks PER MONTH for a 14 year old game?? SE is out of their fuckin mind.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The whole idea is shitty but people acting like they're forced to buy that to come back to play the game are hilarious, sorry.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

well sounds like you can buy a wardrobe and stick all your lockstyle stuff in there and then cancel it and still use it for lockstyle without takin your valuable usable space

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helldemon Ffxi
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Siren

So would you lose access to gear that's in the wardrobe or would you just not be able to swap stuff out? Putting gear that you wouldn't ever need to remove could work too.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    The whole idea is shitty but people acting like they're forced to buy that to come back to play the game are hilarious, sorry.
    That's why they're not coming back. Because they want to make a statement with their wallets, which is the only kind of statement that truly matters to a business.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
    well sounds like you can buy a wardrobe and stick all your lockstyle stuff in there and then cancel it and still use it for lockstyle without takin your valuable usable space
    Would be a pretty neat idea if that proves to be working.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    That's why they're not coming back. Because they want to make a statement with their wallets, which is the only kind of statement that truly matters to a business.
    If they wanted to make a statement about it, they should just not buy the options.
    That would speak more loudly in a quarter review then losing a subscription for an unknown (to them) reason.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast