Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

If there is such server stress from the mass amounts of inventory, why can't they simply design better items that combine better effects?

They purposely roll out these new ambuscade sets, and many other items and accessories that are simply quick macro pieces. My LS mate has a whole wardrobe dedicated to accessories for multiple jobs for various swaps (that's 80 slots dedicated to necklaces, rings, and earrings).

So maybe instead of all of these JSE things, we could have some more multi-job, multi-function pieces... Maybe.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I mean, I knew people who took jobs to 30 or something trying out another race, but only one person who got to 75 and did endgame on two characters on the same account.
    Getting to 30 and then quitting doesn't make it any more a cash shop, especially since you could just cancel the other chars in the meantime for net $0

I knew one who leveled an alt to 75 just for ballista. In fact, as he got bored of endgame he made a galka (originally taru) and server hopped just for that purpose. But i also knew a girl who was crazy as you describe, taking her new mithra to 75, because she was heavy into role play. Her characters were just that, different characters

Also, the game's original cap was 50 so re-rolling was probably even more common

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not going to say people like that didn't exist, but they're probably like the smallest of smallest portion of the player base. Given how rough it could be to get capped CoP done, a lot of folks just didn't have the stomach to try it again with alts. Rarer cross-job EX drops were also a thing, and you can bet most HNMLS weren't terribly tolerant of someone munching up 2+ when other people could use 'em, too. Given this was/is one of the few MMOs that doesn't outright force alt-hopping to play other classes, either, I think most also preferred the singular character approach.

At best, I could understand the issue of being a mage galka since lolMP, but most of the other class differences were often negligible. Heck, some could argue taru PLDs were better than galka due to more curing potential, even though their HP was lower.

Anyway, I'm too cynical to believe this storage cash grab is really for XI's benefit. For all the years we funded/propped up XIV and who knows what else funneled off to XV and other projects, I still say the game's earned some mercy from SE's coffers. Otherwise, you don't cut manpower and jack up costs expecting people to really believe things will get better.
    Meh don't forget that most people never made it to endgame. Re-rolling was super common for at least a year. As for CoP, many just didn't care. It gave a decent ring and sea went unused for so long except by a few LS per server. I think too with the HNM drop, what made it easier is there was crap for mage gear for the longest time. You got zenith mitts, dalm and weskit, you were set

I agree though with your complaint about funds siphoned from 11 and the favor not being returned. I think we can't even put RoV and escha in that category, given that they kept subs up

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Well reading the official line...yeah i don't accept the "in order to keep service going," from a company with multiple ventures, including some like V2 that sucked profits from THIS game. That is not a stance that wins sympathy from me, nor do i remotely expect the $ they raise from wardrobe will go to keeping 11 afloat. Mostly this is because i just flat out don't believe their claims of desperation, with such low costs to run servers, or is SE just that incompetent with cost control? What, does the STF and the skeleton dev crew all make 8 figures or something? If so, rather they just cancel updates altogether and make it FTP

So i don't believe them about "server stress" either

In any case, their cash grab does make it clear that microtransactions are a-go

It's easy to believe their servers are stressed when they run on Windows 98 hardware, and 56k connections. 11 has generated more profit than any other title for them, yet they act like it's barely being kept up, resources magically disappear when servers are easily at 1/10th population yet they can drop 2 wardrobes...as long as you pay. Keep in mind they announced basically the end of 11 in a press conference and since then have silently pretended that never happened now with monthly updates and other goodies.

For a dead game, they keep pushing stuff out, albeit low tier content and Farmville bullshit. Needs Monstrosity badly, I'm sick of Mog Garden and quests that lead nowhere.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

well if they need $ to keep 11 afloat, merge those *insanely* expensive servers? Also, why not just do a crowdfunding? Oh right, because they would have to prove that the $ is actually going into keeping 11, which it isn't. No one likes being lied to

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I only play one job (BLU) and just started playing a second (RUN). I ran myself out of room from just BLU alone, but hey I need 4 different MDT sets and ~5 pieces of each herculean, etc.

I thusly caved in and bought wardrobe 3. I feel dirty, but feeling dirty means I can get items I shunned before due to inventory concerns.

It is super annoying they have to bend us over like this to funnel money out to things that don't pertain to XI, but it is not like they held a gun to my head. We didn't really expect to ever get more than wardrobe2 after their "limitations" posts all the time, did we?

I would rather they brought in some cool merch though. I still like the Windurst keychain on my keys that I have. I suspect they don't do that because wardrobes have a much lower overhead and doesn't involve thinking about what nonsense to contract out for production.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I’d like to revisit this topic because I’ve been considering making the purchase for this. Interested to see people’s opinion now a few years after the fact. Has it been worth it to you and your play style?

I’ve mostly been considering it because I’ve got so many damn jobs leveled in various states of geared, and muling all the time to make room is a pain. I was thinking with Wardrobe 3 & 4 I could essentially keep all the equippable gear I need on my main and be able to send various non-equipment items off to the mules for storage.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I paid for it when I played, but it has actually kept me away from the game because they don't unlock when the free login period hits.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If you ever cancel for any reason, try to move gear around so that 3 and 4 are not holding important gears. Otherwise free logins will become unbearable as you are unable to do things on certain (if not all) jobs due to lack of gear. As byrth points out, it is a huge turn off.

As an active user however, I find the space very much warranted if you: (1) have more than 1-2 jobs, (2) love to min/max your jobs, and (3) really rather swap jobs on the fly and not bother with the hassle of moving stuff around (organizer addon helps with this however).

Old Merits
    BG Level

Saw the title and thought they had finally announced race and face changes, want to finally get rid of the emo face my 14-year-old self felt was an appropriate display of my inner life.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I have 3&4 on my accounts since it does translate to just being able to swap between a handful of frequently used jobs without needing to swap stuff around. I don’t think it should need to be an extra purchase, but I do think it’s ultimately worth it, as mentioned, once you get past a couple jobs or so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7