+ Reply to Thread
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Recommendations dealing with Verizon

So, I want to try and deal with Verizon, and I want to see what I can expect and whether it's better to go to the store, on the phone, etc.

Background:

My mom has had Verizon for forever. She knows they suck, BUT her bill is like $30 a month since she's had them so long.

Anyway, she has had a Samsung phone for fucking forever.

Basically this: (may not be exact model)

She hates it, and I hate her having it. It barely works anymore, she can barely read what's on the screen, has a hard time getting her messages, and is always accidentally turning it off.

With that said, my mom is one of those stereotypical old people when it comes to technology, in that I often get calls about her dvd player not working only to find out she had unplugged it or something like that.

She went to Verizon about a year back asking for an Iphone per my suggestion. She has an iPad and has learned to use it well, so I figured the Iphone would be the best smart phone for her since the interface is the same. I don't know how they got her to take home the phone but they did without helping her get it all set up. She didn't understand how to do it and called Verizon on the phone. They had her open it up and then tried to explain it to her over the phone on how to set it up. She couldn't understand what they were asking her to do, and told her to go back to the store.

She did and the store said they couldn't help her set it up because they weren't an official Verizon store (wtf? I have tmo, and never had this issue, lolverizon). She, rightly so, argued with them in how is she supposed to know that when the big fucking sign says, "Verizon." Now, my husband has explained to me how Verizon has these like 3rd party stores, but seriously, she's right. People aren't supposed to have to know which ones are real Verizon stores and which ones are the 3rd party stores who are also called Verizon.

Equally stupid, is saying they couldn't help her set it up. I mean really? Anyway, she was just so frustrated she asked to return it and they wouldn't take it back until she paid them $100 to take it back because it was opened (since the phone people had her open it).

After this whole incident (approximately 6 months ago), she signed another 2 year contract with them without getting a phone upgrade.

I want to take her into a store and see if I can't get her an Iphone for free or as cheap as possible (doesn't have to be the high lvl Iphones, she doesn't need anything crazy). I mean she paid $100 which she shouldn't have had to pay if they would have just helped her.

I don't know how Verizon does things though since everything she has told me sounds ass backwards.

And before anyone asks why I didn't help her out in the first place: I live in California, she lives in Connecticut. She didn't want me trying to explain it to her over the phone because she had been so frustrated by the Verizon person trying to explain it to her over the phone.

So what can I expect, and what tips can people give involving dealing with Verizon?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

First mistake was going on contract, but if the only problem is she cant setup her phone them its nbd. Honestly, just find a 'real' store and have them help, it'll save time and headaches. Or have her use her ipad to watch YouTube videos on how to do it lol. Fwiw, Verizon has been my favorite carrier, and I've tried em all. A little more expensive, but the coverage was worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    First mistake was going on contract, but if the only problem is she cant setup her phone them its nbd. Honestly, just find a 'real' store and have them help, it'll save time and headaches. Or have her use her ipad to watch YouTube videos on how to do it lol. Fwiw, Verizon has been my favorite carrier, and I've tried emailing all. A little more expensive, but the coverage was worth it.

How can you tell if it's a real Verizon store? (Can't believe I even have to ask this.) Is she allowed to get the free phone upgrade after getting her contract?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

They're talking about franchises vs corporate stores, and the best way to tell is to ask if they're a corporate store. Idk how contracts work any more, the old answer was yes, but now it's more worthwhile to buy the phone with their no interest plans for full price so you can use the "no contract" prices for the plan (you're still contracted for the phone though). Like I said, best bet is to find a corporate store; they'll take care of her.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

there's a naming convention. i don't remember what it is, but basically there's like "Verizon Express" and "Verizon Bullshit" plus "Verizon Wireless" which is the "real" Verizon, iirc.

EAST BAY JEDI DONT GIVE A FUCK
    BG Level

if it says authorized retailer on the banner it's not a real Verizon store and run for the hills they are the biggest sack of shit. Never had a problems with the real ones always extremely helpful and won't charge for stuff that should be free. had Verizon for 6 years never had problems. just call and ask for the closest corporate store.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Ok ty guys!

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah, i've only ever had one problem with a Verizon Corporate store, and that was an employee who was being a fucking dickhead and just talking over my mom without listening to a word she was saying. We didn't go back to that location.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I had major billing issues with verizon in the past but when I bitched and moaned with them enough they usually took care of it. It just took me showing them evidence and spending a lot of time talking to them. Verizon has a propensity to over charge/bill and forget to credit you when you actually pay.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Where in CT does your mom live? I've got a good friend who works at one of those third-party retailers who I can send her to if she's anywhere near the greater-Bristol area.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Our entire family has Verizon and we pay $230 for unlimited minutes, messages, and 4GB shared between four phones. We've all upgraded through Best Buy whenever the free phone time comes (numerous times, but it renews the contract). We've had zero issues. We've been with them for 10+ years.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Mabubeezareel View Post
    Where in CT does your mom live? I've got a good friend who works at one of those third-party retailers who I can send her to if she's anywhere near the greater-Bristol area.
    She's in the Norwich (New London County) area, so too far. ty for the offer though!

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

http://www.verizonwireless.com/stores/

Click to exclude Authorized Retailers.

The people at the real Verizon stores are usually pretty top tier and I'm willing to bet if she goes in and explains what the other store did, they'll get her setup.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I found one near us. We are going to give it a shot on Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes!