+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smithing guide (2016)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Smithing guide (2016)

Crafting has changed a lot, what with the changes to how skillups work, introduction of RoE items, and mat price/availability changes. Most of the old guides aren't relevant anymore.

Similar to the Goldsmithing guide, this is a Smithing guide for 1-110. I do not anticipate writing guides for other crafts, as I won't be leveling mules for them.

A couple of general notes:
    * Always use Kitron Macarons
    * I prefer to start synthing something when I'm 5 levels below it (with advanced support) and then will take it past cap if it's useful or particularly cheap. Sometimes you end up with longer gaps than that, but it's not ideal.
    * There are now two guild NPCs. One of them is always open and sells kits and mats, but the materials are typically more expensive than the least expensive normal guild NPC price. Buy from whichever has the item for cheapest. Not all items are available on both.
    * Change your job to WHM or RDM and set the 30 synths RoE quest. You eventually want to be level 70 on this character so you can wear a torque. RoE quest won't get you there, but it will get you to 25 or 30 so you can cast Sneak/Invis. BLM to 17 is another good goal.
    * The smithing guild has 4 outposts (Al Zahbi, Mhuara, Northern San d'Oria, and the Metalworks) and you'll want to run between them to get the lowest possible price on Iron Ore (675gil)
    * You can avoid synths with Cloth subcrafts below (Hauberk/Haubergeon) but it's better for you to make them on the way up.
    * It is probably most efficient to get to level 5 leathercraft before you start. Spam Sheep Leather.

Smithing:

Your major cost with this guide is going to be Crystals. There is somewhere in sky with 4 elementals of a given type close together, and you can just farm them over and over for clusters. You get about 1.5-2 clusters/kill with TH, so it takes about 2 hours of farming a given element to get 10 stacks of clusters and you will probably not need anymore to hit 110.
    Fire: The area near Faust has 4 fire elementals on a ~5 minute repop timer.
    Wind: One of the corners on the first floor has wind clusters, iirc.
    Earth: One of the corners on the first floor has wind clusters, iirc.

Stockpile:
    * Iron Ore (from the guild NPC at 675gil each)
    * Lizard Skin (AH or mog garden with baby lizard memento)
    * Darksteel Ore (AH)
    * Damascus Ingot (AH)
    * Adaman Ore (AH)
    * Wootz Ore (AH)
    * Relic Iron (AH)
    * Southern Pearl (AH)
    * Guild Points (Start collecting at level 30+)

Path:
    1-4: Bronze Sheet (Bronze Ingot + Fire Crystal) : Buy Bronze Ingots from a Guild NPC

4-11: Bronze Scales (Bronze Sheet + Wind Crystal) : When you run out of Bronze Sheets, buy more from a Guild NPC

11-16: Crossbow Bolt (Bronze Ingot + Ash Lumber + Wind Crystal) : Buy Bronze Ingots and Ash Lumber from the Smithing/Woodworking Guild NPCs. Don't get advanced support.

16-21: Iron Ingot (Iron Ore x4 + Fire Crystal) : Buy Iron Ore from a Guild NPC

21-26: Iron Sheet (Iron Ingot + Fire Crystal) : Convert your Iron Ingots and make more as necessary.

26-31 : Iron Mask (Iron Sheet + Brass Sheet + Earth Crystal) : You can buy Brass Sheets from the goldsmithing guild. NPC these.

31-36: Steel Sheet (Steel Ingot + Fire Crystal) : Buy ingots from the guild and store the sheets.

36-41: Iron Mittens (Iron Sheet + Lizard Skin + Earth Crystal) : Hopefully you stockpiled enough Lizard Skins. NPC these.

41-50: Mythril Pick (Mythril Ingot + Elm Lumber + Fire Crystal) : Buy Mythril Ingots from the AH and NPC these. Guild NPCs will buy a few per day. They sell for about 7k each and (on my server) cost about 3k to make, so this is quite a bit of profit. You might consider leveling a woodworking sub to increase your profit margin further.

50-53: Darksteel Ingot (Darksteel Ore + Iron Ore x3 + Fire Crystal) : Hopefully you stockpiled Iron Ore!

53-55: Darksteel Sheet (Darksteel Ingot + Fire Crystal) : Convert all the Darksteel Ingots you just made.

55-57: Grind Darksteel Ingots and convert them to sheets

57-63: Darksteel Sollerets (Darksteel Sheet x2 + Greaves + Earth Crystal) : Buy Greaves with Sparks and store these in your Wardrobe for later.

63-67: Darksteel Mufflers (Darksteel Sheet x2 + Chain Mittens + Earth Crystal) : Buy Chain Mittens with Sparks and store these in your Wardrobe for later

67-69: Haubergeon (Damascus Ingot + Darksteel Chain x3 + Darksteel Sheet x2 + Silk Cloth + Velvet Cloth + Earth Crystal) : Store these in your wardrobe for later. Requires Clothcraft 38.

68-78 : Darksteel Pick (Darksteel Ingot + Elm Lumber + Fire Crystal) : These NPC for about 12k and on my server are break-even or profit.

78-83 : Thick Sollerets (Darksteel Solleret + Steel Sheet + Earth Crystal) : Put these back in your wardrobe after you're done.

83-85 : Thick Mufflers (Darksteel Mufflers + Steel Sheet + Earth Crystal) : Put these back in your wardrobe after you're done.

85-87 : Hauberk (Haubergeon + Darksteel Chain + Silk Cloth + Steel Sheet + Velvet Cloth) : Put these back in your wardrobe after you're done. Requires clothcraft 38.

85-93 : Adaman Ingot (Adaman Ore x3 + Iron Ore + Fire Crystal) : Hopefully you stockpiled enough ore

At this point, you should take a break, level to 70 and do LBs, level leathercraft and goldsmithing subcrafts, and get GP items. You will want to have the Crafting HQ ring from Adoulin, torque, stall, glasses, and apron before you do the next push. I will assume you have level 70 leathercraft, clothcrafting, goldsmithing, and all the items after this point.

With Skill+12 (including advanced support), you can Tier 1 a synth one level above you. Without Kupo shield, no one can reach Tier 2 on anything above level 91, so your HQ rate on these synths is the same as a 110+12 crafter. This is ultimately the largest secret to leveling a craft these days. There's no reason to be inferior to a 110+12 crafter above level 91, so everything you do after this point can be profit. If a lower level synth is profit and you have mats for it, feel free to keep doing it for skill as long as it isn't >11 levels below you. The listed level is the lowest level you should start attempting this synth

91 : Cursed Breeches (Adaman Chain + Darksteel Chain + Linen Cloth + Tiger Leather x2 + Earth Crystal) : NPC your NQs?

91 : Bewitched Mufflers (Cursed Mufflers -1 + Eschite Ore + Earth Crystal) : Hope92 : Cursed Sollerets (Adaman Chain + Adaman Sheet + Brass Ingot + Thick Sollerets + Earth Crystal) : NPC your NQs?
    92 : Bewitched Breeches (Cursed Breeches -1 + Eschite Ore + Earth Crystal) : Hope

93 : Adaman Chain (Adaman Ingot x2 + Earth Crystal) : You need these to make the cursed armors.

93 : Cursed Mufflers (Adaman Sheet + Brass Ingot + Thick Mufflers + Earth Crystal) : NPC your NQs.
    93 : Bewitched Celata (Cursed Celata -1 + Eschite Ore + Earth Crystal) : Hope

94 : Cursed Celata (Adaman Chain + Adaman Sheet + Brass Sheet + Copper Ingot + Sheep Leather + Earth Crystal) : NPC your NQs?
    94 : Bewitched Hauberk (Cursed Hauberk -1 + Eschite Ore + Earth Crystal) : Hope

95 : Cursed Hauberk (Hauberk + Adaman Chain + Adaman Sheet + Brass Ingot + Gold Thread + Rainbow Cloth + Sheep Leather + Southern Pearl) : NPC your NQs?

The only reason to go past this point is for access to the tepid Blurred and Hexed Somen/Domaru/Sune-Ate markets, as well as to hit Tier 2 on Voodoo Sollerets. It's something you certainly can do, but by this point you probably understand the theory here so I'm just going to list skillup synths you can use to push yourself up there. The numbers below are the level where you'll stop skilling up on these synths.

104 : Midrium Ingot (Midrium Ore x4 + Fire Crystal) : I would avoid this unless you have to because the ingots are kind of useless

104 : Adaman Chain (Adaman Ingot x2 + Earth Crystal) : You need these to make the cursed armors.

110 : Titanium Ingot (Titanium Ore x4 + Fire Crystal) : I would avoid this unless you have to because the ingots are kind of useless

110 : Bismuth Ingot (Tin Ore + Zinc Ore + Bismuth Ore x2 + Fire Crystal) : I would avoid this unless you have to because the ingots are kind of useless

110 : Ra'Kaznar Ingot (Darksteel Ore x3 + Ra'Kaznar Ore + Fire Crystal) : I would avoid this unless you have to because the ingots are kind of useless

110 : Damascus Ingot (Relic Iron + Wootz Ore + Vanadium Ore x2 + Fire Crystal) : Make Haubergeons, Make Hauberks, Make Cursed Hauberk -1s, Make Voodoo Hauberks, Make Profit (very very occasionally)

110 : Beryllium Ingot (Iron Ore x3 + Beryllium Ore + Fire Crystal) : Used for AF upgrade quests, so there's always a market

110 : Blurred items (can start making at 104) and Hexed Sune-Ate/Somen/Domaru are also options for skilling up.

If your mules are getting full from all the thick gear and you're not capped yet, darksteel armor used for koenig synths are a good profit synth. Just park a mule at the GS guild overnight and it should sell fast.

Would trying for Voodoo Hauberk off of nq cursed hauberks be worth it? It would run about 2 mil extra and the HQ last sold for 200 mil on Asura.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFriend View Post
    Would trying for Voodoo Hauberk off of nq cursed hauberks be worth it? It would run about 2 mil extra and the HQ last sold for 200 mil on Asura.
    You'll need approx 256 southern pearls per Voodoo Haub if you're planning to only turn your cursed-1 into 119 version, presuming 1/16 HQ rate. Unless I'm mistaken, theres no way to T2 either synth, even with kupo shield.

I'm keying on the southern pearl because its the only material that has a singular source (unless you want to count ANNM). On that alone, its probably worth it. How much are you spending turning going from Haubergeon to Cursed Hauberk though, that also matters.

It runs somewhere around 900k to synth a cursed hauberk.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Synthing from Cursed Haub-1 only:
    256 Cursed Haub synths = 230,400,000
    16 Eschite Ore = 12,000,000 (750k ea)
    NPC Value of 240 NQ Haubs = 6,649,200
    Total cost = 235,750,800

Synthing NQ and -1 Haubs:
    96 Cursed Haub synths = 86,400,000
    6 synths from -1 = 4,500,000 (~37% chance of HQing from these)
    90 synths from NQ = 180,000,000
    Total cost = 270,900,000

This should be an average cost to make a voodoo haub. I didnt factor in 5% break rate, because the numbers would start flying all over the place (which synth broke, what mats were lost, etc etc). Theres an extra 35 mil cost in synthing your NQ Haubs. Theres potential return in selling some of your Bewitched to the AH though.

It seems worth it in this case. 35 mil doesnt seem like much when you're looking at 235 vs 270 mil. And you're also going to have to consider getting 256 Southern Pearls vs 96 Eschite Ore and 90 Tartarian Chain and 90 Sif's Macrames.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

You're not able to buy steel ingots from the guild until you are an apprentice. I ended up doing Iron Chain from ~30-35, using iron ingots bought from guild. Also, you can do "Smithing Kit 35" at 35. Kits are ~3k at the smithing guild, the targes that you synth sell for ~1k.