+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 85 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

So I recently started Trails in the Sky and it's wonderful. Any suggestions on how to best experience the Trails series? I got Trails of Cold Steel on sale from Steam but I think I'll hold off until I finish the Sky games; is that a good idea? I plan on eventually finishing most anything Trails but it will be a long time.

It's funny, I always had this weird impession that Trails were low-budget mediocre JRPGs like you see so many of in the indie scene or on Switch. But I finally gave the first Sky game a chance because I've been having a Ys revival lately and it is really fuckin good. I was so wrong lol

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

IMO the best order is:

Sky > Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2/Crossbell > Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4

The first 2 cold steel games and Crossbell take place in a fairly close time window.

EDIT: Here's a timeline of how the games play out:

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    IMO the best order is:

Sky > Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2/Crossbell > Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4

The first 2 cold steel games and Crossbell take place in a fairly close time window.

EDIT: Here's a timeline of how the games play out:
    ty!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Welcome to the club, Yuri!

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ingame year wise it's still crazy how quickly all this shit goes down year after year

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    Welcome to the club, Yuri!
    haha thanks, loving skies so far. the plot is great and I don't care what anyone in my party says I love Olivier

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Olivier is a pretty great character throughout the story

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    haha thanks, loving skies so far. the plot is great and I don't care what anyone in my party says I love Olivier
    Everyone loves Olivier

also, If you're worried about missables, a spoiler free guide is highly recommended. Some of the best items are locked behind bracer points and things as little as a dialogue choice can affect how many you get.

As for me, the person who gifted me sky and got me into this rabbit hole just gifted me Ys 8 for christmas. So I'm assuming I'm going down another rabbit hole

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ohh, enjoy! Ys is nowhere near Trails when it comes to storytelling but this series hooks you up with it's gameplay. And for me 8 is one of the best ones overall and I found the story to be just a little better than usual Ys.

I've actually been replaying Ys Origin on Switch during holidays, makes me wanna go back to other 'older' titles like Oath since Origin was the only one I actually completed I think from those.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Everyone loves Olivier

also, If you're worried about missables, a spoiler free guide is highly recommended. Some of the best items are locked behind bracer points and things as little as a dialogue choice can affect how many you get.

As for me, the person who gifted me sky and got me into this rabbit hole just gifted me Ys 8 for christmas. So I'm assuming I'm going down another rabbit hole
    Nice. Like Gokulo said Ys isn't anything like LoH for story but it makes up for it for the music/fast paced combat. VIII is probably the best of the "modern" Ys games since it does give the ability to jump/do some vertical exploration/tactics which was something that was missing starting with Ys Seven/Celceta

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Rabbit hole confirmed was streaming ys 8 and someone gifted me ys 9

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Kuro no Kiseki 2 has already been dated for PC in China 1/27. Amazing how fast they get them out over there. I am pretty sure they don't redub though and the language structures are far more similar than Japanese > English. However this does mean that there will be a fan mod before long.

I have to say I didn't really think Kuro would be good, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. The music does leave a lot to be desired however. Van is probably my favorite main protagonist out of the bunch. He's a bit older, knows who he is, doesn't need everything explained to him, etc. I'm not done with it yet, but I'm in the finale. The new setting is also greatly welcomed.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

First episode of the Trails anime is out. Nothing impressive tbh, animation is kinda meh, not much happened in terms of story yet, so we'll see.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

hold up so you're telling me I was supposed to go back to the guild after talking to Nial but before going to the abandoned mine in order to get two time-sensitive quests?

I see. this is one of those JRPGs I am absolutely not 100%ing this lol, just gonna enjoy my time while I'm here. hats off to anyone who is that patient and/or dedicated.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    hold up so you're telling me I was supposed to go back to the guild after talking to Nial but before going to the abandoned mine in order to get two time-sensitive quests?

I see. this is one of those JRPGs I am absolutely not 100%ing this lol, just gonna enjoy my time while I'm here. hats off to anyone who is that patient and/or dedicated.
    Ugh I know that feeling all too well lol. There's a lot of quests you can miss in the first couple of games easily. I never went back to 100% it but whenever I decide to do a series replay (maybe 2040 when the last game is out) but yeah. Lots of items and quests you can very easily miss.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Ugh I know that feeling all too well lol. There's a lot of quests you can miss in the first couple of games easily. I never went back to 100% it but whenever I decide to do a series replay (maybe 2040 when the last game is out) but yeah. Lots of items and quests you can very easily miss.
    I'm actually doing it on Retro Achievements so this means I can't master (aka platinum) the game unless I replay it... le sigh

https://retroachievements.org/game/10479

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Ok this has been bugging me for a while and I'm wondering if I'm the only one who sees it. Anyone else ever notice a subtle nod to Lunar with the Nial character?

Nial:

Ronfar:

Nial -> Nall from Lunar 1

I have to believe that was on purpose, it's too similar not to be. I don't think it's a direct reference, just someone who loved Lunar - which is very similar to Trails already - adding a little love into the game. Anyone else see it?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

..Nah, Ronfar is a stretch for me.

But I did keep calling Nial, Nall.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I'll take that lol

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Just finished ys8 wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. now ys9 or crisis core (already have both was gifted both along with ys8 for christmas) next, need something to hold me over till Like a Dragon Ishin next month

Spoiler: show
    Screwed myself for the epilogue boss on ys8 because i put all my resources into Dana since she was my most used character and you couldn't use her in the epilogue at all lmao so that boss was a pain in the butt

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag