+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

@Ayn and anyond that did CS2's prologue:
    Spoiler: show
    It's nice to see Olivert's charm wear off on his sister. I think the only way she could have been more blunt with Rean/Elise is tell them to kiss

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Please tell me I can wife Sara.

BG Level

Oh? What brought that on?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ziz Gorlin
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I think this is my favorite song on the Cold Steel II OST, although there are many others that I like almost just as much

The Intermission has 100% been the best part of the game so far, I'm on Act 2 Part 2 now. I think the game is better than Trails in the Sky SC personally, but I know a lot of people will disagree with that.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I'm sorry but I am literally about to end this game and do not feel these games will even come close to Trails FC and SC, there better be something good at the end or I absolutely feel ripped off. The C fight was a joke compared to Loewe, and don't even get me started on how that entire stupid ass incident ended and how they skipped out on showing all the fun events post incident that I actually wanted to see (Rean pretty much mocks you and says it would take hours and we wouldn't want to see that) and go to straight to the shitty ass school event I honestly don't give a flying fuck about! Going straight to the old school house, I am pretty disappointed in this game. Why do they show so many fucking random things and explain NOTHING!? Worst of all, I feel no connection with any characters at all and the game is about to end. It's annoying and I better get some answers or I am not looking forward to CSII at all.

Absolutely 0 answers on Emma's all knowing bullshit, Rean's mysterious past and transformation, the old school house, the chancellor's involvement in all this, the sniper at the very end, and even worse I didn't feel anywhere near the way I felt about the characters I did from FC+SC, I seriously hate this game right now. I just want it to be over, and it's about to be and still feels the same.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ziz Gorlin
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Good thing the game isn't over yet. You're going to feel silly when it is. Also I don't know why you'd expect every question to be answered in the first game of a trilogy. Just chill bruh, there wasn't even a plot until the last few minutes of FC

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Ramzii View Post
    Good thing the game isn't over yet. You're going to feel silly when it is. Also I don't know why you'd expect every question to be answered in the first game of a trilogy. Just chill bruh, there wasn't even a plot until the last few minutes of FC
    Praying to Aidios you are right, because I am going to feel even more silly playing through this for nothing! I hope I feel absolutely borderline mentally retarded at the end. You're right about the plot but at least in FC I had already liked some of the cast by the time the end came around, and shit went down, not just the ending.

Not every question of course, but at least rather than it being sloppily swept under the rug for the thousandth time. I just really dislike this plot and most characters in this game, I am sorry. I don't know what else to tell you all. I hope the ending clearly effects me as much as it has all of you, because I don't know what kind of shit you guys were smoking, but I need to get myself some of that.

The game is really dragging it's ass with this dumb school event, I just want it to be over already but can't even seem to figure out how to get the day to advance, so I am stuck now. I fucking hate this.

Edit: Finally got past this extremely annoying event. Maybe something good will finally happen now.

Double Edit: Oh let me guess because EMMA has to be taken and doesn't seem surprised at all, she knows EVERYTHING right? I don't use her and the game forces you to take her when I don't want anything to do with this two faced liar, everyone else has been real and upfront with Rean except her shady ass.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hmm, I dunno, I think part of what I appreciated (and I'm also being more conscious about it in CSII) is taking the time to talk to *everyone* (something I learned from the Ys games, due to the sheer amount of dialogue); so I liked the NPCs as well, and a few throwbacks to FC/SC, like the Anton/Ricky quest.

Also after playing FC, the pacing and things not being answered didn't bug me as much because I figured (as my earlier post mentioned), it was a large set up for something later. The pacing of FC was actually like that if you think about it; a good chunk of the game was Estelle and Joshua getting their braces quals while meeting people along the way (..field studies anyone), with larger plot points becoming more apparent at the end (Richard's coup, Ouroboros).

Also uh, while we can empathize with it man, you also have to keep in mind most of the people here finished FC *years* ago and had the agonizing wait for SC, so maybe we're a bit more patient.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

To me it's all about the characters, the NPC's can go diaf.

CASE and POINT:

All I needed to enjoy TiTs FC and SC was the main cast, they weren't all perfect sure but I did like a good amount of them. Take Tita for example. That little 12 year old would put Alisa to fucking shame, she has 10 million times the braind AND heart, and I miss her little genius mind and the way she would always figure the tech shit out for you. The way she put her life on the line as well was just.. holy shit. Then you have Agate whom I thought was a jerk at first but man when you find out there was more to that conversation he had with Loewe about them being alike and then finding out why later... oh lord. A man who is so obsessed with his rage for not being able to protect the ones closest to him, literally ends up having the same backstory as the guy that's standing in front of him has him defeated, Agate telling him he doesn't know shit about him! How are you not moved by shit like that? Then you have Kloe whom I honestly adored the most in FC. She cared about the orphanage so much that she put herself at risk to help us figure all that out and ended up being the Princess of Liberl? Holy fuck, what a shocker. Not only that but her amazing pet falcon Sieg as well who is probably the best sidekick ever, seriously I love that fucking bird! He's was more useful and likeable than half the cast of Cold Steel. I wish I was joking around. But you see what I mean? I could type all day about these characters, but when I think of the cast of Cold Steel.

dot dot dot.

That's my point I am trying to get across here. It doesn't matter how OMG amazing the end is, what does it matter if I don't even give a shit about these characters at all?

Anyway I am not going to kill myself trying to finish CS1, especially after finding out it's only worth playing for the very very end. I am on the final dungeon and I will post my thoughts when I finish this horseshit at my pace.

The "villains" in this game were just... /facepalm. That was like shit tier quality as it gets. The fact that the story seems to be slipping away from the Aidios and holy relics storyline is also kind of lame. If anything that aspect of the storyline intrigued me the most.

No wonder people regard the Crossbell games as the best in the entire series, they fucking go neck deep into that shit.

Did you guys know that everyone pretty much agrees that Ao/Zero are the best in the series? Apparently even the fanboys in NeoGaf that probably don't even read Japanese and played through it. It's crazy to think even after CS people still hold to that, but I believe it. Those games look way more interesting to me.

Also I notice no one in here talking about CS2 past the prologue, that can't be good. Trails SC also had a very slow start after that epic prologue, so I hope they handle it a bit better.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Different strokes for different folks. For me it's about the world in its entirety, so while it can be tedious, I actually do appreciate the NPCs; especially when they recognize characters and reference things from the previous games: Whether it's reacting to Rean, or reacting to Estelle after she's become a bracer.

Yeah, I know the Crossbell games are regarded as the best in the series, but until we get them I'm trying not to read too much into them.

As a whole honestly, the only characters that bugged me were Emma (and CSII puts a bit more of that into context) and Laura (while not BAD, just some of the stuff she got kinda pouty about). But again, I think part of that comes from seeing them in relation to their surroundings: I talked to everyone in Bareahard, so that gave me more depth to Jusis's character; same for Machias/Elliot in Heimdallr, or Laura in Legram (where everyone seemed to have a lesbian crush on her).

..And I don't think Corr and the others are talking much about CSII right now because they're either in the middle of playing it, or in my case, somewhat busy with work (I'm again, taking my sweet time with it).

Either way, it's cool that you don't like the game (there are valid criticisms of it), but the rest of us did enjoy it. For me, I just see a lot of the little touches (which were also evident in the first trilogy) that make me really appreciate what went into the game.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. For me it's about the world in its entirety, so while it can be tedious, I actually do appreciate the NPCs; especially when they recognize characters and reference things from the previous games: Whether it's reacting to Rean, or reacting to Estelle after she's become a bracer.

Yeah, I know the Crossbell games are regarded as the best in the series, but until we get them I'm trying not to read too much into them.

As a whole honestly, the only characters that bugged me were Emma (and CSII puts a bit more of that into context) and Laura (while not BAD, just some of the stuff she got kinda pouty about). But again, I think part of that comes from seeing them in relation to their surroundings: I talked to everyone in Bareahard, so that gave me more depth to Jusis's character; same for Machias/Elliot in Heimdallr, or Laura in Legram (where everyone seemed to have a lesbian crush on her).

..And I don't think Corr and the others are talking much about CSII right now because they're either in the middle of playing it, or in my case, somewhat busy with work (I'm again, taking my sweet time with it).

Either way, it's cool that you don't like the game (there are valid criticisms of it), but the rest of us did enjoy it. For me, I just see a lot of the little touches (which were also evident in the first trilogy) that make me really appreciate what went into the game.
    The overall writing and NPC's are nowhere near as well written as FC and SC, so I just skipped a lot of that.

This story just pissed me off with the same bullshit it throws at you. That stupid ass Ice Maiden and obvious assassin Maid sharon basically stalking the entire group throughout the entire game was annoying as fuck, can we go anywhere without these two twats patronizing the shit out of the group? I absolutely despise this run around, every damn chapter and on top of having one of these creepy ass Chancellor clones or whatever the fuck they are suppose to be in our group against our will. Why is Millium still here at all? I don't give a fuck about her. Don't even get me started on that shit stain Emma, she is so damn two faced and her "..." replies have been pissing me off even more, a blow up doll is more useful than her at this point. Aside from the Sachen mines music and that little glint of hope I had for the build up for that... this has not been a good experience for me at all. I almost don't even want to finish this game because I am so upset at all this run around that has happened. We haven't even gotten an explanation for who C was... just so much rage right now but just going to focus on trying to finish the game.

After I just said I would never EVER give a game a day one pass again just because I think it's going to be good. I didn't buy No Man's Sky, but I will feel just as foolish if I don't feel anything when I see this notorious ending that will apparently change everything I think about this game. Ok no more replies until I finish. Later on.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Wrapping up Final Chapter:

So Falcom really thinks they can get away with this by dropping me a fucking Weltall/Escaflowne at the end? The words VALIMAR appeared in front of only Rean's face too.. please!

This "concert" was so wack, they just played the epic final dungeon theme over them just looking like they gave a good show. Was this how it was in JP as well? Oh well, I am just glad the end is happening.

OMFG literally after I typed this, Emma starts singing "I swear". These sons of bitches trying to really make it up last second aren't they? I know they just played the song over the visuals, but it was still a nice touch. Oliver singing along.

Edit: Well just picked my dance partner and found out about Garrelia Fortress. I think shit is about to get real, but I am sure it's just more questions! haha

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Cold Steel Ending (in progress)
    Are you fucking kidding me? Seriously? Crow? LOL that's kind of hilarious that the most laid back and one of the more likeable characters was C but even still... I had my suspicions. The red eyes and silver hair like Reans didn't help either. Holy fucking shit the Chancellor is dead. We didn't even see him with any ouroboros, but I heard he makes appearances in Crossbell arc so wow.. that was fast. Claire is confronting Crow now /popcorn

You gotta be shitting me part 2: Vita is the 2nd Anguis? WHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTT?

BG Level

Hehehhe. Told ya the ending dropped a bombshell.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

By the way, on the game's website, they translated the drama CD from the first game that happens between the end of Chapter 6 and the concert:

Good read.

http://www.trailsofcoldsteel.com/cs2/memoirs1.html

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

YES, goddammit lol I was so upset that they just skipped all that!

I am seriously in the crosshairs of the end, but one last fight to watch and I will end it. I have like 4-5 beers in me as well, so maybe this was meant to be?

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Final Thoughts:
    I would have strangled that cat, seriously who invited this little bitch making orders all of a sudden? This crap is what I absolutely loathe about this game, characters and gimmicks I absolutely hate just will not go away. Fuck this cat for making that order, and Emma too for owning it and being an infuriatingly mysterious character with no pay off at all other than being the sister to one of the Anguis. The new cast of clowns in the Ouroboros at least look promising and they did show Arianhod.

I don't see how anyone thought this cliffhanger was crazier than FC. FC's was a complete shock to the senses, that fucking reveal still haunts me. The way they just shatter everyone's heart too right after didn't help either.

Giant robots ain't going to change that much for me, but it was a cool addition. Crow was honestly a meh character to me overall but interesting that he seems to be completely disconnected from that person whom they thought they knew, so the sequel should be interesting

If I had to review and rate this game tl;dr based on dime scores:

Story 8/10 - Story overall was pretty entertaining when you look at the big picture of how things are by the end of CS. I will admit it has my attention with that ending but it was nowhere near as good as people claimed it to be. The way things wrap up does give me a little hope for the sequel which I am going to start immediately as soon as I finish typing this.

Characters 3/10 - Counting Fie, Rean and Elliot as the only characters I actually kind of liked, and since there are 10 main playable characters. The characters that inhabit this world just did not leave an impression on me much so that is not a good sign at all. The parental issues they all seem to have are completely ridiculous, and I get that it's set in a fictional fantasy world and that's to be expected. I think having a cast of interesting adults and even a child from insanely different walks of life was what really got me vested in TiTs. Going from that to seeing a bunch spoiled little brats get special treatment because of who their parents are and the things that irked them or issues they had were extremely lame and nowhere near as complex or well written as the original cast. I know it's unfair to keep comparing it to the original but it's the only other series of games out here.

Gameplay 10/10 - Gameplay was on point, I enjoyed it even more than the original games. The Links, Burst attacks and the option to skip battle animations were welcomed with open arms though I did tend to let a lot more S-Crafts go off than I want to admit. I loved how all my favorite old spells got their visual upgrades and some new amazing ones spawned as well. The direction this game play is going I know is at least secure. I am in love!

Music 10/10 - Hah was it even a question? It's FALCOM Team JDK! The soundtrack was unbelievably amazing at some points, but most of the field and dungeon themes really weren't as good as FC+SC but weren't bad. Tracks like Exceed, Belief, all the battle themes and the final dungeon theme was incredible, pure ear ecstacy. It's really up there with FC's epic final dungeon remix of all the best tracks in the game.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm yet to play cs2 but I guess you should notice that most of the time you're comparing the experience from two games with one game, SC adds a lot to the characters story etc. Wonder how CS2 will fare in this department

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Also, I think the reason that so many of us were more floored by CS1's finale than FC's:

The bit about Joshua leaving Estelle was definitely heart-wrenching, and there was suspense with Ouroboros in the background for sure. There was this sense of 'oh, everything wrapped up nicely, sure there are still some loose ends, wonder how the second chapter will--..oh ouch, poor Estelle". For me at least, it threw me for a loop because I did not expect Joshua to do that.

Cold Steel's..well there was this similar sense of 'oh, we quelled the uprising, the rebel faction's mostly gone'. Then it's just.. one bombshell after the other: The chancellor gets assassinated, Crow turns out to be C (which leads you to putting some other pieces together; notice how he "conveniently" got separated from your team in the mines?), there is a mostly *successful* coup, the school's overrun, and Class VII is separated. For me at least, it was a bit more gut-wrenching because Rean's gone through this whole journey of coming to grips with things, finally seems to be in a good place, and his world's completely shattered in the worst possible way. I mean, losing the love of one's life is heartbreaking, but I can also relate with Rean's deal: Everything's finally working out then NOPE. On top of that, the entire damn empire is turned on its head.

I can see where it'd lose some of the impact when you don't have as much of an attachment to the characters, but I was ok with CS's cast mostly (really though, could've booted Millium out of class VII and been fine).

A lot of the 'shit hits the fan in the country' with Liberl isn't seen until SC, whereas CS ends on this note of 'welp, your country is fucked, and your super mecha (which if you're missing 'relics of Aidios' is something) can't save you. Have fun waiting for next game'. Can't speak for Corr and the others, but that's what it was for me. And keep in mind, I had a MUCH longer wait between FC and SC than CS/CSII.

Also, I just enjoyed some of the lines by Crowe at the end: "Finish your speech in hell" and him saying something like "You've been piloting this for one day. I've been doing this for <x> *years*"

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ziz Gorlin
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I can tell you that the characters are significantly less insufferable in CS2, Rean shares many parallels with late SC Estelle and I actually kind of like him now. While some of them don't necessarily don't get more "development", they definitely do become way way way way way less annoying (with the exception of Jusis and Machias's weird angsty yaoi love thing going, but even they have a mutual respect for each other so it's less obnoxious.)

I more or less agree with your final assessment of the game except I'd rate the characters less harshly, mostly thanks to Sara/Sharon/Crow (p.s. fuck you for hating on Sharon and Claire.)

I'm surprised you thought FC's spoiler was a bigger bombshell. I felt the same at the time, but then when I started a new run to find all the foreshadowing in the game, literally the first scene of the game already spoils the reveal about Joshua. Weissman is already suspicious from the prologue where Joshua feels nauseous every single time he appears. If you're paying enough attention to the character behaviours, it's pretty easy to pick up on. Admittedly, I didn't pick up on it because I wasn't a trails fanboy at the time and I had taken a massive break somewhere around chapter 3, but a friend was suspicious of Weissman well before the reveal.

I tried doing the same thing with Cold Steel but again, I got lazy. I did find super subtle hints about character identities though. In the prologue when you go to the radio station, the boss doesn't ever remember hiring Misty so you already become a little bit suspicious. I know there are other hints later in the game like where Emma smells lavender after you hang out with Misty, and if you take her to pick up the dress for the concert, she'll start chasing the bird familiar.

Anyway, I'm glad you're done the game. CS2 improves on CS1 much like SC does on FC. Everything about the game is vastly superior to its predecessor, although it does have moments where it drags on (but so does SC, chapter 7 anyone???) So far Part 2 has been the most disappointing part of the game just because the travelling becomes more open ended and at times I feel bogged down when I just wanna follow a linear story. Part 1 and the Intermission had some insanely hype parts which Part 2 hasn't delivered on yet, but I imagine it'll start coming soon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag