Page 1 of 85 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

FALCOM - Trails in the Sky, Cold Steel, Ys Series (SPOILERS)

Thought it was about time we made a thread for this amazing company instead of bumping "What are you playing now?" for anything related to these games series, which are amazing in their own right.

Falcom is the very same company that brought us gems like the Ys series and the Legend of Heroes Kiseki (TitS).

Today Aksys Games announced that Tokyo Xanadu is getting a localization on PC and Vita.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/03...north-america/

At Aksys’ Anime Expo 2016 panel, the company announced it is localizing Nihon Falcom’s Tokyo Xanadu. The JRPG will be coming to the PlayStation Vita and Windows PCs. While the PC version will be limited to a Steam release, both physical and digital PlayStation Vita copies will be sold.

In Tokyo Xanadu, players follow the adventures of Koh and Asuka. It’s a more modern JRPG from Nihon Falcom, set in Morimiya City, a fictional Tokyo suburb. The two end up investigating the “Other World” every night, using “Soul Device” technology. Like Atlus’ Persona series, you can grow closer to members of your party through Bonding Episodes.

Tokyo Xanadu will be released in North America on the PlayStation Vita and Windows PC in the first half of 2017. Aksys currently has no plans to localize Tokyo Xanadu Ex+, the updated PlayStation 4 version of the game.
    I am pretty hyped up for this considering it looks like it uses the same engine as the latest games in the Ys series. Which I probably have to admit I love more than even Trails in the Sky because of the adrenaline rush combat and things you have to do to defeat bosses.

But make no mistake, Falcom knows how to make one hell of a JRPG, because Trails in the Sky is the best I have played since Suikoden II. That isn't something I ever say.

Right now Steam has both the First and Second chapters of Trails in the Sky on sale for $9.99 and $19.99 respectively, and given that SC is a much bigger game than the 1st, I would say it's definitely worth buying.

Edit: Holy shit.. well better act fast because it's expiring in 2 minutes.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

10 minutes of Ys VIII gameplay. Officially hyped for this even more, didn't think that was possible! The gameplay looks even better somehow than 7/Celceta, possibly the company's best to date. I love the new art style. Didn't think they would stray away from the Kiseki/Ys 7 artist. Music sounds great, the other characters look fun to use. Bosses look even more crazy and complicated to flash guard this time around, but this will be damn fun.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

That does look pretty great

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Another gameplay vid I stumbled across for Ys VIII:

I've also heard some samples of the Ys VIII music. Falcom does not disappoint once again.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Yeah thanks to you I spent about a good hour listening to Ys 8 tracks out so far and they sound amazing! Especially the one in that video, this game is day one for me. (not that it wasn't already) I am pretty sure XSEED is going to localize this on VITA if they are doing all these other games like Trails of Cold Steel series.

Speaking of Trails. I FINALLY finished TitS SC and I will admit it was one hell of a task considering I played these games back to back. Although it got frustrating getting jerked around Liberl the entire game, the end as usual was a humongous pay off. I am insanely hyped for 3rd after the way SC ended, good god Falcom, it should be considered a crime that these games aren't more famous and didn't get localized back then by Atlus or someone else with the actual resources to localize it, not some dude who almost commit suicide due to pressure localizing these, and piling all the work one one poor soul Jessica Chavez, Aidios bless her soul.

Do NOT play Cold Steel yet, I recommend you finish SC first because these games ALL have continuity.

I saw some amazing clips of Ao and Zero no Kiseki that show the Crossbell section of this amazing little world Falcom created and I really want to play it. You ARE COPS Lol. I really love how each game you play as some kind of authority figure. If they ever actually make games in Calvard I guess it would be about Bracers again.

Ao/Zero no Kiseki came out on PSP over 5 years ago though, but there is hope. China gets exclusive PC ports of Falcom games, and usually are strict contract. Recently though Japan themselves have been localizing these PC ports for their own fans, in 2013 they ported Zero no Kiseki in Japan for PC, this has to mean we now have a real chance at seeing these games here too but right now XSEED has a mountain of games to do.

BG Level

After they finish the 3rd Trails in the Sky I would expect them to announce they're working on Zero no Kiseki for a US release on Steam/GOG.

Also there's a music rip out for the overworld music in the vid I posted:

<3 <3 <3

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

The fucked up part is.. I want to play the Crossbell arc the most now! (behind 3rd) I hope I don't spoil anything for myself by playing Cold Steel since this game is technically those games sequel.

Did you finish SC Corrderio?

Spoiler: show
    Kevin Graham is definitely not the all around happy go lucky, funny guy he painted himself out to be in front of all the characters, and this line that caught my attention the most. He said at least Joshua is lucky enough to have the choice to leave, making it sound like his Grals Ritter role is darker and probably fucked up. The way he destroyed Weissman too, and he wasn't even the main guy behind the curtain! There is an actual Master out there and probably other Apostales. Goddamn we still have 3rd, Crossbell Arc, and now Erebonia. The bomb Oliver drops as well about his accusation about the Chancellor from Erebonia being involved with Ourobouros was just... a damn good setup and I can't wait to see him and this Chancellor in CS!

BG Level

Yep I played both Sky games and the first Cold Steel. I have no experience with Zero so I can't confirm/deny if that spoils that series in any way or not.

As for your question.
    Yep, in fact the 3rd chapter for TitS is solely focused on Kevin and his past. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

From what I understand, you can probably play Cold Steel without spoiling too much of Ao/Zero since they occur concurrently.

Corrderio might be able to speak to this better since he's played Cold Steel, but for example, in that one, there's a few references here and there that you might not get if you haven't played FC/SC, and like.. ONE major character spoiler.

Olivier's true identity is one. Aside from that, Cassius gets a mention, and they refer to bracers

Otherwise the events of FC/SC are referred to very vaguely. In a "hey, yeah, this happened in Liberl. How about that huh?"

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I see, well Cold Steel I am guessing is taking place after the events of the first 3 Trails games because of the time line. The war started in 1192, FC, SC, and 3rd take place between 1202-1204 so dat timing is too good. This series has slowly been climbing it's way to my favorite spot, if it keeps this up, it just might.

I accidentally saw an amazing scene of Zero (JP only of course) on youtube and I really want this game badly.

Read at your own discretion:

It showed a scene of Estelle and Joshua helping Renne and Pater Mater fight a newer and gigantic blue gundam looking machine that was attacking them. It ragdolls and beats the shit out of Pater Mater and our heroes from original game are having trouble with this new beast of a robot as well. It's about to kill Renne after she tried using all of her power to stop it. Pater Mater picks up this new gundam from behind, flies up into the air and blows up it up to pieces, leaving only his upper body left. You all remember how badly Renne reacted when he just hurt his leg at the end of SC, so I'm just going to let you imagine how she took that.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKbytqPEXzE

I need this in my life. Not only are the original protagonists still very relevant and in the story, but still play a direct role.

BG Level

From a chronological point the events of Trails of Cold Steel take place 2 years after the events of TitS:SC. I'm not really sure the time lapse between TitS:SC and TitS:TC.

As for Zero Ayn is correct in it takes place around the same time Cold Steel does. Or at least from what I remember when I discussed it with someone else.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

That is some amazing setup for the story. I truly hope they continue to feature characters we have met in future releases. Oliver being in CS is just too good.

What did you guys think of the final boss theme for SC? That had to be the most unique final boss theme in any JRPG I have ever heard, sounded like something out of a dream. It was strangely fitting and made me kind of sad as I saw everyone's final S Break's go off knowing this was the end of this epic little series. At least until 3rd hits.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hmm.. you know, I've been playing Falcom games for so long that to me it just sounded like "Oh yeah, standard final battle theme for a Falcom theme. Nice."

I liked it and thought the music of FC/SC fit the game nicely, but when I think of those I tend to mainly remember the arrange version of "Silver Will"

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Honestly from my point of view of just playing nothing but the Ys series before this, I expected adrenaline rush, blood pumping metal/rock final boss theme. FC's was definitely an intense and unique final boss theme considering the boss was this completely unknown "thing", it fit well. SC's was just... so entirely mellow and chill. I loved it, very fitting song to close out this part of this story. Since Kevin will be taking over now, I have to applaud Falcom for doing probably one of the best character introductions of all time with Kevin, he really stole the show in the end in SC IMO.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Agreed - that ending sequence with him at the end of SC was pretty freaking badass.

It was a VERY fitting end for Weissman, after all the shit he pulled

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Do you guys think Kevin really likes Estelle, or is that just an act too? I think it's real, he might have caught some feelings or just might be attracted to her a bit, but that warning to Joshua made me laugh and actually think about this.

Also Loewe dying was just... goddammit why? Everyone in Liberl can take so much damage, like falling thousands of feet from airships and miracally survive with no broken bones, or lacerations at all. They clearly do not need to use death at all in anyway to fuel to story which is good... But the one time somebody actually fucking dies, it has to be Joshua's closest friend and human being other than Estelle. Ouch. I did like the dialogue between him and the other characters you bring, it really gives you hope that he does have a future with these people and

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I think it's an act, honestly. Stuff in Sora no Kiseki 3 makes me think that.

Yeah. . I was torn on that one. On one hand, I kinda get why they had to off him in that sense. On the other, just, yeah, why? I think that's why I was so satisfied with how Kevin offed Weissman. When I saw that smug bastard walking away after Loewe died I was like "Fucking SERIOUSLY? This guy gets to live?" I mean at least his death had an impact, for sure.

Thankfully nope.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Goddamn I seriously cannot wait for 3rd. Kevin Graham as a main will be a welcomed breath of fresh air considering he is a very complex character, with a mysterious background.. maybe even more than Joshua. The strangest thing is I have been hearing this series most famous songs since 2010 on a random playlist that /v/ generated. Silver Will, Overdosing Heavenly Bliss, and a few others were on that list.

Original

Remix

Is that Richard in the background? The art style changed so dramatically, I can't tell, but if he's playable.. holy shittttttttt!

I love both versions, but the remix was the original that I heard. I always wondered if I would ever play the games that these amazing songs came from and I finally have. It's pretty crazy now that it's gone full circle.

Playing these games back to back kind of overwhelmed me, which is why I am kind of fangazming at the moment over these games.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yep, that's Richard in the background.
    Not saying more than that.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ziz Gorlin
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

By the way, the fan translation project for Zero no Kiseki is supposedly releasing the game in December 2016. I'm gonna play the shit out of it and then play it again if/when xseed localizes it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 85 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag