+ Reply to Thread
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Tags/registration for a car to sit in your driveway

Alright, so my uncle's car got popped when code enforcement was called on on neighbors (they looked at the whole complex) so now we have an official complaint against his (my since it's in my name) car; and he's off in Kuwait and not coming back any time soon, so I'll have to handle this one.

I've obviously never registered or insured a car before, so I was wondering what exactly I'm going to need as bare minimum to let the car sit in my yard (no intentions of driving it). Not even suere where to get started w/ this one

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Was it never registered to begin with? Think you still have to do that but at least in cali you don't have to renew jack you just can't drive or have it anywhere on the road if you don't. Though I think you have to file something for that. DMV in your state would probably know

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Have no idea how it works in Florida, but in California, you can register the car as Planned Non Operation which is like $10 to register.

Did some quick googling. In Florida, you need to forfeit the plates to not pay registration fees. If your uncle owns the property, then they can't force you to do jack. However, if this is a co-op or apartment complex and it's parked in a shared area, you probably have to register the car.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Was it never registered to begin with? Think you still have to do that but at least in cali you don't have to renew jack you just can't drive if you don't
    It was by the person he had me buy it from, but not since the title was transferred over to my name; and it's been sitting there for a year now before code enforcement showed up (and on an unrelated incident)

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

In Michigan if my car is on my property and it's titled to me, as far as I know I do not need any insurance, registration, etc. I'm not driving it nor plan to so I need none of those things. Now if it's sitting on the curb? Up to date registration and state bare minimum insurance for liability.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

There should be some information on the ticket about like a hearing or something, maybe? Not sure if they have those for tag violations. If they do, I'd go and explain the situation.

You might be stuck with this regardless, dude. Car's in your name, that makes it your responsibility. I bought my car from my parents but they couldn't find the title and we didn't want to retitle it so it's still in my dad's name. Any time I get a ticket, it goes to him and has his name on it.

for future reference, NEVER have someone else's shit in your name.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah, get that shit out of your name as soon as possible. Many many years ago I sold my broken down car to my x. Somehow the paperwork never got turned into the DMV and she sold it to someone else who abandoned it on the freeway when it broke down again and it got towed. Took me forever to get out of that impound fee.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post

for future reference, NEVER have someone else's shit in your name.
    Wasn't really an option unless I wanted to find a new place to live lol. I just pay utilities here and he's working in Kuwait. Only reason it's in my name is because he couldn't physically be here to buy it. We even wanted to forge his name and the guy we bought it from wouldn't let me do it, so pretty much had to do it in my name, and signing it over to him as soon as he steps foot on American soil.

But yeah, if I would refuse such a simple request and living here for pretty much free, I wouldn't have that option available to me anymore, lol

That said my uncle will be paying all fees associated w/ this, but I have to handle it since he's not really able to do so from Kuwait

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

im super excited that you have a car sitting in your front yard. i now have a Bingo on my "how white trash can Cream Soda be?" board

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

It's been there a year now.

'86 Jaguar xjs

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

In Oklahoma there is a "black tag" you have to buy from the Tag Agency for cars that aren't going to be driven.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Alternatively just put a tarp over it and forget it until your Uncle comes back.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Well the code enforcement lady has already been over. Would that even work at this point?

I mean she's not gonna go "Oh hey where'd that car go and what's this tarp doing here?"

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    In Oklahoma there is a "black tag" you have to buy from the Tag Agency for cars that aren't going to be driven.
    I think most/all states have Antique tags, which are fairly cheap/permanent (unless the car is sold), but have restrictions on driving. An '86 should be eligible.

Either way, I'd check wth the code folks, and the local DMV. It might be something as simple as returning the plates and throwing a cover on it (possibly needed if there's an ordinance regarding cars in view of the street).

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Insurance is only for your benefit (if you're not driving it, and it's damaged by nature). If you were driving it, obviously, it would cover the other car (were anything to happen). You can go ultra cheap but have a high deductible and pray nothing happens.

Iowa is annoying as fuck because you have to have the TITLE in IOWA's writing. We have a vehicle, we bought in Texas, we don't have the title since the bank OWNS the car and we are financing it. To register it in Iowa, we have to have the title MAILED to the courthouse, where they will rewrite it as being IOWA, destroy the TEXAS paperwork, and then keep the title at the courthouse.

Also, another option, put it in storage. It may or may not be cheaper, but most vehicles in storage, don't need ANYTHING. Getting it there is tricky.

I've dealt with this issue a ton. We had jackass neighbors call the police on us because our plates were Iowa and we lived in Nebraska (Omaha, NE and Council Bluffs, IA. Maybe 15 miles between them.) but I worked in Iowa and the title was Iowa. Most companies say where it resides overnight, since that is a majority of the time. But I worked A LOT, so our company said it should be Iowa. Plus, Iowa is cheaper. Nothing ever happened, but State Farm said they would write a letter and pay the legal fee if anything happened because it was their recommendation.

Edit: YOU could sell the car to him now, too. Forge his signature. Or scan the Receipt of Sale and email it and have him digitally sign it.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    I think most/all states have Antique tags, which are fairly cheap/permanent (unless the car is sold), but have restrictions on driving. An '86 should be eligible.

Either way, I'd check wth the code folks, and the local DMV. It might be something as simple as returning the plates and throwing a cover on it (possibly needed if there's an ordinance regarding cars in view of the street).
    Good Christ, I'm getting old as fuck.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I understand that in this particular situation, you didn't really have an option and it won't be financially ruinous, but just in general, anything you attach your name to is a source of risk. co-sign a loan, put property in your name, anything. and if it's someone else's stuff, you have no control over how they use it... so anything irresponsible they do, you're now on the hook for paying for it. So it's a good idea to really be wary of doing that.

as for this stuff... i would imagine there's numbers to call on it? pay the fine, get your uncle's reimbursement, and then start googling florida non-functional tags.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Like I said earlier, if the vehicle is kept on private property (not shared) you can turn in the plates to the DMV and not pay any fees and the car will be default non-operational. If you want to forego this in case the vehicle needs to be moved or kept on the street, renew the registration.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Well it was never registered in mine or my uncle's name to begin with.

It has the orig tags from the guy I bought it from.

I'll call the DMV now and see the deal is w/ some of what you all just mentioned because I called Geiko and the absolute minimum policy they have would run $88/month to have a car sit in my driveway

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

If you register the vehicle with the DMV as "non-operational" then you shouldn't need insurance on it.