Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast

Thread: Local Elections     submit to reddit submit to twitter

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I mean, my jab at education isn't just about paying teachers more (in part to tempt more capable teachers into the career). Yes, we need more, but we need to cut down the number of heads they're supposed to be looking over per class, vastly renovating existing facilities or creating new ones so kids aren't having hour+ commutes, improving libraries if the school even has them, better modernizing to today's tech, not throwing 2+ hours of homework on kids a night, guarantee breakfast/lunch/after school snack no questions asked, stop correlating prison-like conditions to safety because we refuse to address the gun and mental health issues of today, stop banning books, stop preaching the South were ackshully the good guys, stop thinking abstinence is all we need for sex ed, stop pretending the US hasn't done shitty things throughout history, stop cutting arts programs or non-sports extra-carriculars, and toss in some basic courses like how to do your taxes/insurances and basic home/vehicle repairs because we can't pretend parents are around or capable of such.

I know there's the argument that SATs and such are discriminatory, and I can kinda get that based on the quality of a school and some other factors, but the idea that certain milestones should be accomplished per grade with that accumulating to a sort of endgame test doesn't strike me as A Bad Thing(tm). We need kids to be as informed as possible upon graduation, especially before expecting them to sign off on giant loans they probably won't be able to pay off for a long time, let alone guarantee the degree they chase is what they really want or even be a viable career a decade later. This also includes educating on toxic behaviors in the workplace, particularly when it comes to union-busting or anti-whistleblower rhetoric. And I wholly get why the right would fear all this, but to circle back to my ESS thing, abuse isn't always something people recognize in the moment and a lot of this shit is legit institutional atm.
    I'm not even worried about those obviously negative conditions and how they reduce the quality of education so much as what and how things are taught. None of those reforms, while good, ease me of that.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    And these are the fun conversations I get to have with my trans kid...
    I'm sorry that either of you have to deal with this. Really heartbreaking

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    I can appreciate the term "economic Stockholm".

As for education it needs to be seen for what it is. A failure by both parties. There is a focus on the cultural struggle in it, and the more conservative and reactionary factions being the ones "taking us/holding us back." Focusing on such a bluster takes away from the fact that both parties fail education. It's not the way it is because of the GoP. Something can make something worse, but it if was already substandard and would have been regardless. Then it isn't simply about solving overbearing and aggressive conservatives. That simply takes the wind out of the sails of focusing on the real issues with education which is far deeper than banning Tango the penguin in Florida schools.

As material conditions have continued to worsen for people they have become quite unintentionally aware of the existence of the underlying problems and contradictions in capitalism. They simply can't articulate it or apply an understanding to the mechanisms at play. Such intentionally defangs the people of their threat to the structures of power and scatters them to the Qs, the antivaxers, and whatever subgroup feels it found some issue plaguing their society worth dying on a hill for. People know that big pharma or the government or whatever it may be doesn't have their interest in mind, as that is how capitalism works. They just don't know how to put the pieces together and spin their wheels over every symptom of the problem. The mind does not appreciate ambiguity, and people—as we see around here. Need to have things add up in order to feel at ease. It's easier to blame Republicans or executives or immigrants or "elites" etc than to blame the entire economic system they live in being ruthless.
    Seeing as the education system directly reproduces the very cultural ideology in people. So that they simply can not get past the core ideas instilled in them without stepping on a life of ideological landmines. Capitalistic ideology is so good at adapting and insulating itself that people don't even know they are espousing an ideology when they reason within the box they grew up in.

There is no lifetime of fixing anything without an understanding the people lack, and will not find without great effort. Everyone knows the Stasi, but nobody knows the BND, and that is also quite deliberate.
    Then how do you explain a majority of the European countries having far superior (K-12 equivalents) education than the US while they are all capitalist as well?

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Koyangi View Post
    Then how do you explain a majority of the European countries having far superior (K-12 equivalents) education than the US while they are all capitalist as well?
    Within the context of your question? They are structured very differently with more cohesive management from the government within social programs. Smaller classes, different organization, no school sports (join local/external), more personalized, etc.
    Within the context of my statement, they still teach the same base ideology as in America and propagate the same root issues. Just because the system is better or the oligarchs more or less tame, it doesn't matter. There is no moving past the points of contradiction no matter how much lipstick is on the pig.
    German schools are better for example, but look at what the West did to the East, the still existing disparities, etc and it's no different just because they have better social programs or schools than the US.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Progressive candidates appear poised to win both the Wisconsin Supreme Court and the mayorship of Chicago.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Progressive candidates appear poised to win both the Wisconsin Supreme Court and the mayorship of Chicago.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Janet Protasiewicz didn't just win in Wisconsin, she murdered him. Up 11% with 71% recorded so far.

Looks like Dane County (Madison) is going to have more voters than Milwaukee County despite having only 60% of the population. Sicko Madison libs LOVE to vote man. She's putting up Assad margins in Dane County.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Chicago had 1 progressive mayor so far. Hoping this 2nd one is the progressive we wanted in the first place.

BG Level

Well, based on that statement, they picked the correct person. Someone that isn't a little bitch.

BG Level

It seems like swing state Republicans (and therefore national politicians) are going to be in for a long hard time until they learn the three magic words

Spoiler: show
    Safe, legal, and rare

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    It seems like swing state Republicans (and therefore national politicians) are going to be in for a long hard time until they learn the three magic words

Spoiler: show
    Safe, legal, and rare
    I know what election you're talking about, but I don't get the joke

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I know what election you're talking about, but I don't get the joke

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Point is now that Republicans got what they wanted on abortion (and it is hideously unpopular) they'll need to pivot to (Bill) Clinton style triangulation if they want to become relevant again, including on abortion.

BG Level

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Can you be that proud when the results are over 89% in favor of one person? The results were assured with hose margins.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Point is now that Republicans got what they wanted on abortion (and it is hideously unpopular) they'll need to pivot to (Bill) Clinton style triangulation if they want to become relevant again, including on abortion.
    But they pivoted to LGBTQ rights...which is also hugely unpopular. Last poll I saw for Kentucky showed 62% of REPUBLICANS opposed the anti-trans bill that was just passed.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

And Wisconsin republicans already talking about immediately impeaching the new state supreme court justice

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wis...tice-rcna78318

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Like, how people continue voting for this shit is baffling to me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    But they pivoted to LGBTQ rights...which is also hugely unpopular. Last poll I saw for Kentucky showed 62% of REPUBLICANS opposed the anti-trans bill that was just passed.

Yeah I mean they're well down the path of becoming a regional party, not a national one.

Only question is how long are you going to remain in their region?

BG Level

https://twitter.com/Citizen_MKE/stat...0ELwtbVTQ&s=19

For a spring state Supreme Court election...

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Wisconsin still has a near total GOP supermajority in the state legislature, I'm sure a lot of people are invested in seeing if that changes should their newly-aligned Supreme Court strike down current voting districts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag