+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm guessing licensing is also why we get Donkey Kong Country but not the superior DKC2 or the still pretty fun DKC3 in there.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I'm guessing licensing is also why we get Donkey Kong Country but not the superior DKC2 or the still pretty fun DKC3 in there.
    DK licensing bugs me to no end

We got all 3 iirc on WII (then they got pulled) then we got them back on WIIU and now on 3DS (iirc)

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

What's the second-best beat-em-up on the SNES (next to TMNT4)? Pickings are pretty slim. You have:

- the underwhelming Final Fight series (if there were a 2-player version of FF1 on SNES, this would be an easy choice)
    - the underappreciated-but-good Rushing Beat/Rival Turf series (which won't move the needle for 99% of buyers)
    - the legion of B-list Capcom brawlers (King of Dragons, Captain Commando, Knights of the Round)

Super Double Dragon and Battletoads+Double Dragon both have the same kind of IP issues as TMNT4. Speaking of which:

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    similarly is it praiseworthy or unexpected that Nintendo did line up any of these IPs? Like Mario RPG?
    It looks like Nintendo just went to Capcom, Konami, and SE for the entire third-party set (which is a pretty good trio to pick). Since Mario RPG is just Nintendo+Square, the stakeholders are already involved.

I would have liked to see SE include ActRaiser but I know I'm in the minority.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    What's the second-best beat-em-up on the SNES (next to TMNT4)? Pickings are pretty slim. You have:

- the underwhelming Final Fight series (if there were a 2-player version of FF1 on SNES, this would be an easy choice)
    - the underappreciated-but-good Rushing Beat/Rival Turf series (which won't move the needle for 99% of buyers)
    - the legion of B-list Capcom brawlers (King of Dragons, Captain Commando, Knights of the Round)

Super Double Dragon and Battletoads+Double Dragon both have the same kind of IP issues as TMNT4. Speaking of which:

It looks like Nintendo just went to Capcom, Konami, and SE for the entire third-party set (which is a pretty good trio to pick). Since Mario RPG is just Nintendo+Square, the stakeholders are already involved.

I am disappointed that Spider-Dan has left out Maximum Carnage from this list of beat 'em ups.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Final Fight 2&3 were both 2 player. I don't think Final Fight Guy (Final Fight 1 with Guy which was a blockbuster rental exclusive) was multiplayer.

Super Double Dragon shouldn't have been that hard to get the licensing for, same with BT&DD.

I know I shouldn't complain about a lack of SE RPG's with SMB RPB, FF6 and Secret of Mana all on there, but I would have loved Secret of Evermore to be on there as well. Chrono Trigger has been re-released a few times on different platforms including the Nintendo DS.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

FFGuy was not multiplayer. FF2 & 3 were multiplayer, but including one of them would be like including Megaman 5 or 6 in a NES compilation: they aren't terrible, but they are completely unremarkable.

Nintendo did negotiate for the rights to put DD2 on the NES Classic, so I guess Super DD just wasn't on the radar, but BT&DD would have been an IP nightmare with all the hands in that pie. I think Nintendo was just trying to avoid layered IP negotiations, which is why Tecmo Bowl had the NFLPA stuff stripped out (and why we got Tecmo Bowl instead of the vastly-more-popular Tecmo Super Bowl, which would have been unrecognizable with all the NFL licensing stripped out).

I would imagine that whenever SE gets the idea to re-release CT, negotiation with Toriyama is baked in, kind of like Capcom with Strider and Moto Kikaku. I can see why Nintendo would just decide it's not worth it for that one game when there's a litany of other great unencumbered JRPGs to pick from: Lufia, Breath of Fire, Ogre Battle/Tactics, Soul Blazer, DQ, etc. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Just do a Quintet collection of ActRaiser 1/2, and Soul Blazer + Illusion + Terranigma

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    The line-up of games really is impressive. I remember as a kid I got to the point where me and my lil bro could beat Contra 3 in like 20 minutes lmao. I can't think of any other game on there besides CT that's missing. I'm literally trying to think of one right now lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TMNT, Secret of Evermore, NBA JAM

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

FFGuy was not multiplayer. FF2 & 3 were multiplayer, but including one of them would be like including Megaman 5 or 6 in a NES compilation: they aren't terrible, but they are completely unremarkable.

Nintendo did negotiate for the rights to put DD2 on the NES Classic, so I guess Super DD just wasn't on the radar, but BT&DD would have been an IP nightmare with all the hands in that pie. I think Nintendo was just trying to avoid layered IP negotiations, which is why Tecmo Bowl had the NFLPA stuff stripped out (and why we got Tecmo Bowl instead of the vastly-more-popular Tecmo Super Bowl, which would have been unrecognizable with all the NFL licensing stripped out).

I would imagine that whenever SE gets the idea to re-release CT, negotiation with Toriyama is baked in, kind of like Capcom with Strider and Moto Kikaku. I can see why Nintendo would just decide it's not worth it for that one game when there's a litany of other great unencumbered JRPGs to pick from: Lufia, Breath of Fire, Ogre Battle/Tactics, Soul Blazer, DQ, etc. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze.
    Tecmo lost the NFL license years ago when EA signed an exclusive contract with the NFL. Only reason why BT would be an issue is that RARE is now owned by Microsoft. DD though is independent, so that would have been easy.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Tecmo lost the NFL license years ago when EA signed an exclusive contract with the NFL. Only reason why BT would be an issue is that RARE is now owned by Microsoft. DD though is independent, so that would have been easy.
    I'm sure Tecmo's late-80s/early-90s NFL license expired long before the EA exclusivity contract. DD is now owned by ArcSys, but if you're going to put in the NA version of the game, I think you have to negotiate with Acclaim (DD2)/Tradewest (SDD) as well...? In any case, Nintendo already got DD2 for the NES Classic, so that's clearly not a showstopper.

On a related note, it is a shame that Madden isn't on here. Despite its later excess, Madden is really one of the defining games of the 16-bit era. And NFL licensing wouldn't be an issue, as the first 2 entries on SNES (and first three on Genesis) don't have any NFL or NFLPA license.

A SNES Classic without Madden is a shame, but a Genesis Classic without Madden would be a travesty. It would be like excluding SF2 from the SNES Classic.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I'm sure Tecmo's late-80s/early-90s NFL license expired long before the EA exclusivity contract. DD is now owned by ArcSys, but if you're going to put in the NA version of the game, I think you have to negotiate with Acclaim (DD2)/Tradewest (SDD) as well...? In any case, Nintendo already got DD2 for the NES Classic, so that's clearly not a showstopper.

On a related note, it is a shame that Madden isn't on here. Despite its later excess, Madden is really one of the defining games of the 16-bit era. And NFL licensing wouldn't be an issue, as the first 2 entries on SNES (and first three on Genesis) don't have any NFL or NFLPA license.

A SNES Classic without Madden is a shame, but a Genesis Classic without Madden would be a travesty. It would be like excluding SF2 from the SNES Classic.
    Was Madden on SNES? I remember one of the biggest selling points of the Sega Genesis was Madden and NHL.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

There were 7 Madden games on SNES: John Madden Football, Madden '93, and Madden NFL 94-98.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

There were 7 Madden games on SNES: John Madden Football, Madden '93, and Madden NFL 94-98.
    94-98 were all quality games.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Spoiler: show

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Snes available for preorder from Walmart, went up like 10 mins ago. On my phone, so don't have a link.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Nin...ition/55791858

Can't bring myself to order it from Walmart...

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I ordered it, gonna try to get a second one for myself since this will be a gift

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

End of the day, all that matters is having one, so ordered it, will change to Amazon for faster shipping if I see it before it sells out.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I hate that i think i missed out on it...

walmart site isn't working anymore

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Amazon still hasn't gone up, not had anyone else. I think Walmart was the first notification I've gotten.