+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Apparently you can't play Star Fox 2 until you finish the first level of Star Fox. Why? Hell if I know but that's what people are reporting.
    To be honest given the store of what we did have of SF2 prior to this it kind of makes sense. I know people don't really look at it from that angle these days, especially the "why am I gated rawwwwr" people, but aside that it's kind of common that you're required to play xyz or get to a certain point to unlock something/a game in collection type releases. Castlevania SoTN on PSP I believe was one of the more famous examples.

Also looks like my 3 SNES classics are otw.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    NES roms are freakin' tiny in comparison but you couldn't put that many on a modded NES Mini last I checked due to the save state size.
    You can fit the full Famicom/NES romset (700+ games) on a modded NES Classic.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    You can fit the full Famicom/NES romset (700+ games) on a modded NES Classic.
    I guess the addition of zip support helped alleviate most of the problems since I last checked.

Random annoyance: Still no shortcut to get to home screen without hitting the reset button on the console. L+R+START+SELECT isn't enough?

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The EU SNES Mini NAND has been hacked and dumped into the NES Mini successfully:

Spoiler: show

The CPU for the SNES Mini is a very slight new revision of the NES Mini with a new modules. However, it's being reported that Nintendo took little to zero precaution to prevent hacking of the NAND/kernel. What's more, the developers has left a note within the /etc directory that states:

Code:
    Enjoy this Mini,
    Disconnect from the present, and
    Go back to the nineties.
    Someone else has successfully dumped the Star Fox 2 ROM (was patched in-memory) and has it running on Snes9X:

ROM hasn't made the rounds yet, however.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm surprised the SNES Classic actually has a slightly newer board revision. Figured it'd have been identical guts to the NES Classic.

Still a cool little collector's item. The ease of hacking it will just lead to more sales all things considered.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm surprised the SNES Classic actually has a slightly newer board revision. Figured it'd have been identical guts to the NES Classic.

Still a cool little collector's item. The ease of hacking it will just lead to more sales all things considered.
    Indeed, it was the very first quirk that the top modders noticed. However for all intents and purposes it's the same hardware, however.

Annnnnnd from ROM to to physical media:

You can tell this is the actual completed ROM because the copyright date has been updated to 1996 from 1995 (of the uncut beta). Was flashed onto a SuperFX 2 dev cart (has a flashed 27c160 EPROM):

Guy wanted to just see if the dev cart would accept the fully completed game, and it did. Essentially, any Super FX or Super FX2 cart can serve as a donor cart for the purposes of repro making. I can forsee hundreds, if not thousands of Stunt Race FX carts being blown up in the near future.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

According to lots of reviews Star Fox 2 Plays BADLY on the SNES classic

lots of lags and 10FPS

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So no different than Star Fox 1 on the SNES.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    So no different than Star Fox 1 on the SNES.
    It seems it plays worse then SF1

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

SF1 is pretty bad, though. Nostalgia goggles help that game immensely.

Here's a video with an overclocked ~60FPS StarFox cart on the left and a stock cart on the right (jump to 0:59):

You can see that in the areas with lots of buildings, the stock cart drops down to single-digit FPS. The game is a lot grimier than we remember.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

StarFox on SNES is just rough, lol.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I'll be adding SF2 to my Pi when I get home today.

Excellent.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Let us know how good it is. Kinda curious if tge rumors are true it was cancelled since Miyamoto feared it would outshadow SF64

For those curious the Target I work for is super low volume and still received 40 classics, so if you're desperate for one Target may be a good place to hit up in the morning.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Spent maybe an hour playing around and had Corneria blown up.

It is VERY obvious why they opted for SF64 over this. Miles away the better game in controls alone. Don't know how Miyamoto thought SF2 was a better game compared to SF64, or if instead he simply didn't want what feels like an "experimental" title (like Zelda II) to be forgotten in the transition to full 3D.

I have not found a controller input option yet, and it would help immensely as the controls are classic airplane down = up which gets very confusing in dogfights when you're not able to see your own ship. However, I can see this being a speedrunners dream as you can accelerate through a majority of the non-dogfight stages right to the objective and down it in like 30 seconds.

The "defend Corneria" mechanic has some merit, and I would love to see it return in another SF title. Basically, Andross has planetary bases that can fire missles at Corneria and carriers that can fire powerful beams and launch fighters. Everything happens in real time too, so as you're in the carrier trying to bring it down, the other carriers and planetary bases are launching missles and fighters that deal damage to Corneria. It becomes a balancing act of when to dogfight, shoot missles down, take out planetary bases, take out carriers, and advance on Andross.

Also, every now and then (im guessing after certain conditions are met related to carrier or planet base destruction) Andross will sic a boss on you.

Overall, its fun and I like it. Very much the Zelda II of the SF franchise, but man I wish you could change control options.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    The "defend Corneria" mechanic has some merit, and I would love to see it return in another SF title.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

He finds it one of the best or the best because from a development standpoint it was fairly innovative considering. Also every SF..literally after 2 used mechanics or concepts from it in the games, SF Zero being VERY obvious about it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Honestly, never touched it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

SF Command had multiple endings. My favorite being the one where fox and falco break off from star fox and modify their ar wings to race in F zero.

I'M STILL WAITING TO SEE THIS HAPPEN NINTENDO!