BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mist Monster
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    You really want one Brill? I'm can handle the PO errand running, but not sure if it's something you're really keen (and unable) to acquire.

If r/miniSNES is right, this week has and will sprinkle a great many units across these lands, especially compared to the NESC quantities debacle. A Target pitstop is not a bad idea this week if one wants a SNESC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    As of so far we have struck out completely trying to find one. If anyone finds one I would pay for shipping etc.
    If you are talking about the ones I have, I still have them (2). Haven't really told anyone else yet, wanted them to go to people who actually wanted them, if possible. I have a box I can ship in. I work the same damn hours as the post office, though. No holes in my schedule right now large enough to get there and back. grrr

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Analogue (people who made the expensive Nt Mini) just announced a fully up-scaled Super Nt:

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

This is likely going to be the absolute very best way to play Super Nintendo games. And highly possible that it will be jailbroken, allowing for multiple 16bit consoles to be played. Definitely going to be preordering one myself in the next few weeks.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I really like the Classiq II HD.

Plays SNES/SFC/NES, HDMI and AV out, NES and SNES controller ports (and you can use SNES controllers on NES), has selectable 4:3 and 16:9 output. Comes with one NES dogbone and one SNES controller for $70.

If this had scanlines I would have already pre-ordered it.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Anyone know which console Retroarch works well (performance wise) with on the SNESclassic?

I know SNES NES GB Genesis

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by mistmonster View Post
    If you are talking about the ones I have, I still have them (2). Haven't really told anyone else yet, wanted them to go to people who actually wanted them, if possible. I have a box I can ship in. I work the same damn hours as the post office, though. No holes in my schedule right now large enough to get there and back. grrr

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Brickseek your local Walmarts today. Some stores got a dozen last night/this morning. I just got another one cause I'm still enthralled by the hunt.

http://brickseek.com/walmart-invento...?sku=741659089

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Target will have some for REDcard members only Nov 1.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I really like the Classiq II HD.

Spoiler: show

Plays SNES/SFC/NES, HDMI and AV out, NES and SNES controller ports (and you can use SNES controllers on NES), has selectable 4:3 and 16:9 output. Comes with one NES dogbone and one SNES controller for $70.

If this had scanlines I would have already pre-ordered it.
    Super NT is going to blow that console right out of the water:

190$ Console, however, you will get this:

Listed Adds:

- FPGA Console (Zero Lag)
    - HDMI 1080p/720p/480p Output

- NTSC & PAL Support Out of Box
    - Compatible with ALL Games and Graphics Chips
    - Digital 48KHz 16-bit Audio
    - Full Compatibility with all SNES 1st Party and Aftermarket Controllers and Accessories
    - Full Compatibility with Super Gameboy 1 & 2, as well as all Flashcarts & Reproduction Games

- SD Card for Firmware Updates
    - Scanline Options (Perfect Integer Scaling)
    - Scaler Options
    - Horizontal/Vertical Adjust
    - Image Positioning
    - Super Turrican - Director's Cut
    - Super Turrican 2

Unlisted Adds:

- Cheat System Compatibility
    - Custom Color Palettes
    - SPC Music Player
    - Sound/Synth Channel Output Adjust

Jailbreak Adds :

- Save States
    - SNES ROM Dumping Feature
    - SNES Core SD (Allowing to play entire SNES library off of an SD Card)
    - 16-bit Core Compatibility from SD Card Slot (Genesis/Mega Drive, PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16)
    - 8-bit Core Compatibility from SD Card Slot (NES/Famicom [All Mappers], Famicom Disk System, Sega Master System, SG-1000, Game Gear, Colecovision, Atari 2600/7800, Game Boy (Color), Intellivision, Arcadia-2001, Gamate, Game King, Channel F, Odyssey 2, RCA Studio 2, Supervision, Adventure Vision)

The designer behind the NT Mini, Kevin "Kevtris" Horton also designed and worked on this console for 14 months (literally right after he finished the NT Mini). He's also the person who invented the .SPC extension for playing SNES music. A certified wizard who also was one of the first (at least American) designers to reverse engineer all NES Mappers as well as create an FPGA NES from Proof of Concept to completion (HiDef NES, NT Mini).

The reason why the release of the Super NT is so significant is because of everything Kevtris has done working on it's predecessor, the NT Mini, as well as a near perfect alignment of the stars. He had been working on multiple FPGA-Cores for 8 bit consoles for well over 10 years prior, so he simply pushed over all of his knowledge into the NT Mini by jailbreaking it himself. (The company he works for is and was completely OK with it, no less). He made it possible to play any aforementioned 8-bit console game on the NT Mini itself without needing anything more than the system's associated BIOS file and an SD card to load the ROMs. Since every core that runs on the console is FPGA based, they also get the immediate benefits of which that entails: zero lag, as well as playing as originally intended. Since the Super NT is working on a more powerful (and 32-bit) version of the FPGA used in the NT Mini, there is a near-100% chance he will not only do the same thing for other 16-bit consoles (he also has significant work done on the Genesis core & PC Engine core), but also simply port over every single 8-bit core that he ported to the NT Mini.

tl;dr: An exceptionally customizable, high-end Super Nintendo clone console that will eventually play any 8-bit & 16-bit era game ever released in upscaled HD for 190$.

The only real downside is that the console won't come packaged with a controller. Drops on Feb 2018 -- I have already preordered mine. This console may legit change up the retro market for years to come.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The console I linked earlier plays NES and SNES carts, can use NES or SNES controllers, and comes with one of each for $70.

I understand the target market of Analogue's products, but as a value product, if the clone chipset on the Classiq II is reasonably accurate it crushes the Super NT in bang-for-the-buck. Using the Super NT to play a bunch of ROMs off the SD card is basically a RetroPie but at 4x the price.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That thing looks like a beast, i just wish i had snes games back in my parents house. I don’t own anymore of those games so finding stuff in retro shops and anime conventions are my only source of buying these games. Jailbreaking is another story tho. But emulation isn’t the same as the real deal cart.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The console I linked earlier plays NES and SNES carts, can use NES or SNES controllers, and comes with one of each for $70.

I understand the target market of Analogue's products, but as a value product, if the clone chipset on the Classiq II is reasonably accurate it crushes the Super NT in bang-for-the-buck. Using the Super NT to play a bunch of ROMs off the SD card is basically a RetroPie but at 4x the price.
    I would honestly wait until the Classiq 2 to drop and have some real reviews on the system come out before considering/making the purchase.

After picking through almost all of the videos and articles I could find concerning the console, I can tell you that the accuracy of the Classiq 2 remains to be seen, as well as the methodology behind how it plays the games (is it NOAC? FPGA? Custom ASIC? Emulation?). In some of the video reviews where I could catch the sound output, the sound for the NES games is tinny and missing some of the triangles, so I'm personally leaning towards NOAC for the methodology. If this is the case, then you can be sure that the 720p HDMI output is a very cheap analog to digital upscaling solution like every clone console before it. At least on the SNES side, it plays S-DD1 chip games (Street Fighter Alpha 2, Star Ocean), Super Gameboy, as well as Reproduction carts. On the NES side, it purportedly can play the NES Everdrive as well as play Multicarts. Castlevania III plays, but we have no real example of the sound quality which will speak volumes of how it can handle special NES chips as well as different NES mappers.

The problem at the moment in gauging the Classiq 2 HD is that all of the media/reviews for the system have not be critical reviews or teardowns at all, so we will only have to wait until it's released before we get one that's unbiased. Rich of ReviewTechUSA stated that he wasn't paid for his own review, however the video is only of him critiquing the general build quality and features of the device and not playing anything.

If none of the above is a concern now or in the very near future when the console is released, then the console immediately has value for consumers who want to dip their toes into NES/SNES cart gaming, or has a closet of games that they want to start playing again.

---

I'm actually also interested in the Classiq 2 HD so I'll purchase one as well in February so I can make SNES comparisons between it, the Super NT, the original SNES console, a modded SNES Jr., and the SNES Classic.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Using the Super NT to play a bunch of ROMs off the SD card is basically a RetroPie but at 4x the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    That thing looks like a beast, i just wish i had snes games back in my parents house. I don’t own anymore of those games so finding stuff in retro shops and anime conventions are my only source of buying these games. Jailbreaking is another story tho. But emulation isn’t the same as the real deal cart.
    You both aren't fully correct on it.

It's running ROMs off of the SD card, yes, but the jailbreak function in the NT Mini (and soon Super NT) makes use of the FPGA architecture -- the ROMs run on the FPGA itself. No software emulation layer, and the FPGA processor makes it just as accurate as the original consoles themselves. In the same jailbreaking post he made, he also stated that he has plans for adding controller and cartridge adapters so you can use physical media for those supported cores too, but he got kidnapped by Analogue to design the Super NT while he was designing the adapters. He said once he's done with this project, he'd be returning to making the adapters afterwards. It'll be no small wonder that he'll just port the entire project to both systems after for the value add.

If you're interested in his cart adapter project that he has placed on the back burner Nitsuki, you can watch it here:

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I would like one of every SNES please.

I've been adding titles regularly to the personal SNES library this year; it is the most satisfying cartridge ever.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    You both aren't fully correct on it.

It's running ROMs off of the SD card, yes, but the jailbreak function in the NT Mini (and soon Super NT) makes use of the FPGA architecture -- the ROMs run on the FPGA itself. No software emulation layer, and the FPGA processor makes it just as accurate as the original consoles themselves.
    I'm talking about practical application. In practice, the difference between running ROMs off of an SD card in a Super NT and playing ROMs on a (good) emulator is not really that big.

As I see it, the primary value of these clone consoles is in their ability to use original carts. Take the cart away and I have a hard time not going with RetroPie (or something similar) instead. The distinction between software emulation and hardware emulation is not particularly compelling to me.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm talking about practical application. In practice, the difference between running ROMs off of an SD card in a Super NT and playing ROMs on a (good) emulator is not really that big.

As I see it, the primary value of these clone consoles is in their ability to use original carts. Take the cart away and I have a hard time not going with RetroPie (or something similar) instead. The distinction between software emulation and hardware emulation is not particularly compelling to me.
    As far as practical application goes, it's very subjective and based on personal preferences for sure. In 2017 the differences between playing on an emulator and actual hardware/FPGA can be seen as quite negligible to some, which is actually the beauty of it all. You can be a person who prefers to play on an original console, a clone console, an emulator, with a flash cart, or a linux/pi solution and still get enjoyment out of the experience. Some people want to play with carts, others are completely fine playing with ROMs. (Personally, I do both, with a pretty obvious bent towards collecting and playing original carts).

However, when you make your comparisons between clone consoles, that's where you will come up short every time with your argument. Without seeing either release of these two consoles yet, you can be sure that the Super NT will outperform the Classic 2 HD on straight up use of SNES/SF carts based on specs alone, as their company takes measures to replicate the detail of how the original carts were meant to be played. Beyond that, with the Super NT you will eventually be given both the option to play other games by way of a cart adapter or ROMs, which is the best of both worlds.

Now, an argument can be made on whether it's worth the extra 120+$ for the quality, but I shouldn't have to mention to you how much more people have paid for a professional upscaler device for their original consoles. Alternatively, it would cost about 30~60$ for a good Retropie set up. Again, all subjective and personal preference.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Damn, i hope the project for the cart adapter happens, i’d seriously love to have those two.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    However, when you make your comparisons between clone consoles, that's where you will come up short every time with your argument. Without seeing either release of these two consoles yet, you can be sure that the Super NT will outperform the Classic 2 HD on straight up use of SNES/SF carts based on specs alone, as their company takes measures to replicate the detail of how the original carts were meant to be played.
    I certainly agree that the Super NT will be better at playing SNES carts than the Classiq II. But the Classiq II can play NES carts out of the box, can use NES and SNES controllers out of the box, comes with controllers in the box, and costs less than half as much.

From my personal standpoint, I have the original consoles for 100% accurate gameplay, I have a Framemeister, and I have multiple emulator solutions (PC, OG Xbox, tiny linux microPCs) with full romsets for every system. So I am probably not the target market for the Super NT.

My primary point was that carts are carts and ROMs are ROMs. You can't really compare a device that plays carts to one that plays ROMs, and so - for now - the Classiq II plays SNES and NES carts in HD for $70, while the Super NT only plays SNES carts (but plays them really well) in HD for $190.

Like you, though, I do want to see a more in-depth review of the Classiq II. And if I'm being brutally honest, I don't know if I can actually click Purchase on an HD retro console that doesn't add scanlines. I can't unring that bell.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Forgive the re-rail, but Went into Best Buy last Saturday and randomly walked over to the Nintendo area. Saw two sitting on the bottom shelf. Snagged that sumbitch before i could even think about it. Happy Birthday to me! Love this little thing.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    Forgive the re-rail, but Went into Best Buy last Saturday and randomly walked over to the Nintendo area. Saw two sitting on the bottom shelf. Snagged that sumbitch before i could even think about it. Happy Birthday to me! Love this little thing.
    Grats man and Happy Birthday! It's a come-up to see one laying around now that we are coming up on Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Christmas. Will probably see yet another wave of scalpers hit hard before they move back to scalping the NES mini at the beginning of next year.

I ironically caught the hacking bug and opened mine up with the current Hakchi (2.21f) software and it plays great, sans about 10 titles that I added.

Perfect SNES devices for travelling, and will be even more perfect once 8bitdo sells their wireless pads this holiday.

I certainly agree that the Super NT will be better at playing SNES carts than the Classiq II. But the Classiq II can play NES carts out of the box, can use NES and SNES controllers out of the box, comes with controllers in the box, and costs less than half as much.

From my personal standpoint, I have the original consoles for 100% accurate gameplay, I have a Framemeister, and I have multiple emulator solutions (PC, OG Xbox, tiny linux microPCs) with full romsets for every system. So I am probably not the target market for the Super NT.

My primary point was that carts are carts and ROMs are ROMs. You can't really compare a device that plays carts to one that plays ROMs, and so - for now - the Classiq II plays SNES and NES carts in HD for $70, while the Super NT only plays SNES carts (but plays them really well) in HD for $190.

Like you, though, I do want to see a more in-depth review of the Classiq II. And if I'm being brutally honest, I don't know if I can actually click Purchase on an HD retro console that doesn't add scanlines. I can't unring that bell.
    I can respect that, which is why I can't deny the value of picking up a system which will play both SNES AND NES games right out of the box for so cheap.

I'm also very much in the scanline section with you, but I also love collecting SNES consoles, so... >_>

I'll totally do a capture card video comparison of all of these consoles once the Super NT hits -- I would literally only be missing a Retron 5.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Thanks! I'm completely aware i'm getting fleeced versus what you're cooking up, but the nostalgia is strong. I grew up with this baby. Look forward to what you end up creating.