BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    It was meant as a limited time promotion to get Nintendo in the headlines and people's minds prior to the Switch's launch.
    Well, now Nintendo is "in people's minds" as a source of frustration and anger. I guess this must be the no such thing as bad publicity business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Viserdes View Post
    speaking of which, is there an easy to solution to displaying the old consoles on HDTVs? Ive tried last year and the best i got was a tiny square in the center of the screen, or does the hdtv need a setting to be able to do a full display of older consoles?
    This is a complicated and fairly expensive area of interest.

Essentially, if you have multiple original consoles that you want to connect to HDTVs, and you want them to 1) not look crappy and 2) not be laggy, you need to buy an upscaler. The one that everyone loves - XRGB-Mini Framemeister - can be imported from Japan for ~$400. You can use your original console cables, or you can buy special RGB cables (that give you emulator-quality graphics) which run around $10-20 each.

However, if you just want to play NES cartridges on a HDTV, buy this. It's $50 and will get the job done admirably. There are some superior options to play NES games over HDMI, but they run in the $175-$400 range.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I still don't understand the appeal of a decades old console with a super short controller cable that plays games you've already played or can play with better quality graphics and controls elsewhere, like your computer or phone.

But there's a sucker born every day /shrug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

It was meant as a limited time promotion to get Nintendo in the headlines and people's minds prior to the Switch's launch.
    LMAO!!!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I still don't understand the appeal of a decades old console with a super short controller cable that plays games you've already played or can play with better quality graphics and controls elsewhere, like your computer or phone.

Same reason people still buy consoles from the 80s-90s. It doesn't appeal to you, which is fine, but people still enjoy playing the older systems and having the physical media. Some do it for purely collection sake. Then again, people that hate on Nintendo defends other companies who gladly sell you a game, sell you content you already bought in the form of 'DLC' or numerous versions of the same system, if something works it works. They did say it was limited and wasn't a permanent thing so I'm surprised it ran as long as it did actually.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    LMAO!!!
    Quality post. Do you think that's incorrect or just disagree with the principle?

Because I think it's pretty plainly correct, both in Nintendo's statements and in the fact that there were only a couple of supply waves. The fact that they underestimated its potential success is irrelevant, because said success helps them via word of mouth more than moving more products ever would have, since it wasn't very profitable.

Like I said before, and this happening is admittedly presumptuous, but them releasing those same games will be far more profitable on the Switch's future VC.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Really? I went to Walmart the other day and they had two or three on the shelf.
    Not one out here.

It was meant as a limited time promotion to get Nintendo in the headlines and people's minds prior to the Switch's launch. Hopefully the NES Classic's games come to the Switch's VC, where they'll actually make money.
    Make a limited time promotion novelty system that people can't buy, and follow it up with a new handheld people also can't buy, save for scalpers on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    However, if you just want to play NES cartridges on a HDTV, buy this. It's $50 and will get the job done admirably. There are some superior options to play NES games over HDMI, but they run in the $175-$400 range.
    I've been wanting an Analogue NT Mini since it's as close to accurate hardware emulation money can buy, rather than some ARM-based board using prepacked software emulators, but it costs an arm and a leg as you mentioned. The day those FPGA systems can do SNES+Genesis is the day I get one though. My SNES has seen better days.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quality post. Do you think that's incorrect or just disagree with the principle?

Because I think it's pretty plainly correct, both in Nintendo's statements and in the fact that there were only a couple of supply waves. The fact that they underestimated its potential success is irrelevant, because said success helps them via word of mouth more than moving more products ever would have, since it wasn't very profitable.

Like I said before, and this happening is admittedly presumptuous, but them releasing those same games will be far more profitable on the Switch's future VC.
    Being that at launch, Nintendo said anyone who wants an Nes classic will be able to buy one at retail, and not even two months ago the president apologizes for shortages and that they will be increasing production, yeah I would say you are 100% completely off base with your comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

My favorite part of Nintendo apologists is how they constantly forget about the game Nintendo plays by cutting supply to make it seem like their products are hot shit, then not following through while the entire (would be) install base goes "why did I hypeeee!"

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    I've been wanting an Analogue NT Mini since it's as close to accurate hardware emulation money can buy, rather than some ARM-based board using prepacked software emulators, but it costs an arm and a leg as you mentioned. The day those FPGA systems can do SNES+Genesis is the day I get one though. My SNES has seen better days.
    I picked up a Framemeister a couple years ago during a trip to Japan. My current NES solution is a Super 8 that I bought back in the '90s. Unfortunately, it does not work with SNES RGB cables (only composite video). However, SNES controllers are so much better than NES controllers that I am willing to stick with composite video instead of buying something like the 8-Bit HD that I linked above.

I actually picked up a Super Famicom a couple of weeks ago so I can consolidate my power bricks. The NA SNES uses a power brick with a plug that's not like any other console, whereas I can use my Jaguar power brick with a SFC.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post

Because some people would rather play on the original hardware, simple as that. Also there are solutions around these days, that allow for an "emulation-like" experience on your native television (720p, 1080p) with your original systems (mods, upscalers), if you're willing to pay the cost. It's really no different from people collecting trading cards, or vinyl records, something that's also huge these days as well.

However, the NES Mini is a very very meh piece of technology when there are other cheaper and better options out there (RetroPie).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha
    Analogue NT is probably the very best money can buy for the upscaled NES experience right now. It's literally a packaged up version of the HiDef Mod Kevtris put together a few years back: https://www.game-tech.us/mods/original-nes/. All of the boards from the HiDef NES kit and the Analogue NT uses NES/FC OEM CPU and PPU chips, so can be considered more authentic than the software emulators just about every other solution uses as well.

I picked up a Framemeister a couple years ago during a trip to Japan. My current NES solution is a Super 8 that I bought back in the '90s. Unfortunately, it does not work with SNES RGB cables (only composite video). However, SNES controllers are so much better than NES controllers that I am willing to stick with composite video instead of buying something like the 8-Bit HD that I linked above.

I actually picked up a Super Famicom a couple of weeks ago so I can consolidate my power bricks. The NA SNES uses a power brick with a plug that's not like any other console, whereas I can use my Jaguar power brick with a SFC.
    If you wanted a controller option, I'd recommend this:

http://www.8bitdo.com/snes30/

and an accompanying receiver dongle:

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes/

One of the very best 3rd Party controllers I have ever purchased in my life. Wireless Bluetooth so you can sync it to your phone or directly to your PC/Mac. The dongle is mainly for using it with your Super Famicom/SNES, though they are constantly adding support for 3rd party boxes like the Retron 5 as well. Best part is that almost literally set to the scale of the original SNES/SFC gamepads for a near authentic experience.

All I know is Nintendo's VC pricing on the Wii quickly turned me off to their game. I'd pay a dollar for a virtual game of the NES/SNES/Sega era, but not 5-10. Especially with emulation having been a thing for decades now.

Nonetheless, I did cave on Shining Force II since I never could find a local copy back in the day. :/

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

This thread has never been more popular since it was discontinued.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Analogue NT is probably the very best money can buy for the upscaled NES experience right now. It's literally a packaged up version of the HiDef Mod Kevtris put together a few years back: https://www.game-tech.us/mods/original-nes/. All of the boards from the HiDef NES kit and the Analogue NT uses NES/FC OEM CPU and PPU chips, so can be considered more authentic than the software emulators just about every other solution uses as well.
    He was talking about the Analogue NT Mini, a new console (designed by Kevtris) that uses hardware emulation via an FPGA, instead of software emulation like Retron5 et al.

The nice thing is that Kevtris has released alternate FPGA profiles that will allow you to play ROMs from other 8-bit consoles (SMS, 2600, etc.). This does not void the warranty and is semi-officially supported. (There are also plans to release other cartridge connectors so that ROMs are unnecessary.)

If you wanted a controller option, I'd recommend this:

http://www.8bitdo.com/snes30/

and an accompanying receiver dongle:

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes/
    I'm aware of these. I think it's mostly inertia on my part; I have no real desire to expand my original NES collection, and I have full compatibility with all my existing games, so I'm not ready to invest in another new console and controller. It's one thing to buy the accessories to get all my old gear to work properly in the HD era, but quite another to start buying new consoles and controllers.

When it comes right down to it, 99% of the time I want to play a old game I own, I'm just going to fire up an emulator on my PC (or OG Xbox) rather than dig out all my gear.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

He was talking about the Analogue NT Mini, a new console (designed by Kevtris) that uses hardware emulation via an FPGA, instead of software emulation like Retron5 et al.

The nice thing is that Kevtris has released alternate FPGA profiles that will allow you to play ROMs from other 8-bit consoles (SMS, 2600, etc.). This does not void the warranty and is semi-officially supported. (There are also plans to release other cartridge connectors so that ROMs are unnecessary.)
    We talking about the same thing bro, lol. I want one, but it'll be in the very very distant future.

I'm aware of these. I think it's mostly inertia on my part; I have no real desire to expand my original NES collection, and I have full compatibility with all my existing games, so I'm not ready to invest in another new console and controller. It's one thing to buy the accessories to get all my old gear to work properly in the HD era, but quite another to start buying new consoles and controllers.

When it comes right down to it, 99% of the time I want to play a old game I own, I'm just going to fire up an emulator on my PC (or OG Xbox) rather than dig out all my gear.
    It's all good. I haven't had the desire to collect older games since ZSNES really took off in the early 2000s, so I'm basically on my nostalgia kick now that I can afford it. Also making repros of overly expensive shit, and getting some Super Famicom translated games onto carts as well is always fun. You said you have a Framemeister, yeah? That shit is the holy grail of upscalers at this point, lol.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

We talking about the same thing bro, lol. I want one, but it'll be in the very very distant future.
    I thought you were talking about the original Analogue NT, the one that uses the OEM CPU and PPU chips.
    The newer NT Mini is FPGA-based and doesn't use OEM hardware at all.

You said you have a Framemeister, yeah? That shit is the holy grail of upscalers at this point, lol.
    The main chip in the Framemeister has been discontinued; Micomsoft said they bought enough of them to produce Framemeisters through the end of 2018. What happens after that is anyone's guess. Either:

1) They get out of the market and Framemeister prices ascend into the heavens
    2) They make something cheaper and less capable... and Framemeister prices ascend into the heavens
    3) They make something more capable (e.g. lower lag, faster at handling resolution changes) at <= the same price, and Framemeister prices tumble

Time to gamble!

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I thought you were talking about the original Analogue NT, the one that uses the OEM CPU and PPU chips.
    The newer NT Mini is FPGA-based and doesn't use OEM hardware at all.
    Boo, I was all over the place with the previous post and the one before it... You have the right of it -- and I was mainly speaking about the Original NT, my bad. For all intents and purposes Original and Mini are the same (FPGA could be considered hardware cloning) and the performance similar, however. However, the thing that shoots the Mini above the original is because of the unofficial firmware updates that Kev has been writing for it -- he's basically adding support for just about every 8-bit system under the sun for it.

The main chip in the Framemeister has been discontinued; Micomsoft said they bought enough of them to produce Framemeisters through the end of 2018. What happens after that is anyone's guess. Either:

1) They get out of the market and Framemeister prices ascend into the heavens
    2) They make something cheaper and less capable... and Framemeister prices ascend into the heavens
    3) They make something more capable (e.g. lower lag, faster at handling resolution changes) at <= the same price, and Framemeister prices tumble

Time to gamble!
    Could you imagine #1 or #2? Prices would skyrocket to 1000~1200 USD easily. If that's the case, I won't even take my chances, I'll snag my own during the summer and call it a day as I watch the prices for them rise into 2019, lol.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Boo, I was all over the place with the previous post and the one before it... You have the right of it -- and I was mainly speaking about the Original NT, my bad. For all intents and purposes Original and Mini are the same (FPGA could be considered hardware cloning) and the performance similar, however. However, the thing that shoots the Mini above the original is because of the unofficial firmware updates that Kev has been writing for it -- he's basically adding support for just about every 8-bit system under the sun for it.

Could you imagine #1 or #2? Prices would skyrocket to 1000~1200 USD easily. If that's the case, I won't even take my chances, I'll snag my own during the summer and call it a day as I watch the prices for them rise into 2019, lol.
    What is it exactly the Framemeister does that makes it worth the ~$500 asking price? I know it's a low-latency upscaler, but it doesn't sound like something which should cost that much.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Some retro gamers keep one or more cumbersome (understatement) direct-view tube TVs for the old consoles. They're usually about free, manual labor not included.

Recently my girlfriend asked wtf are you keeping this damn thing that takes two strong people, a dolly, and a truck to move. I could only mutter that Super Mario World looks fantastic. >_>;

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    What is it exactly the Framemeister does that makes it worth the ~$500 asking price? I know it's a low-latency upscaler, but it doesn't sound like something which should cost that much.
    A combination of several things.

1) It accepts nearly every form of analog video output (except RF and VGA).
    2) It supports RGB.
    3) It has great support for either 240p or 480i signals (but notably, the few games that use both 240p and 480i have terrible results).
    4) It has a built-in scanline generator.
    5) It has an enormous range of image customization options (e.g. color, stretch).
    6) It's one of the lowest latency upscalers available (22ms, or a little more than 1 frame)
    7) It supports saving profiles to SD card so you can easily tweak and save settings on a console-by-console basis.

It's the best there is at what it does, and it's not really even close. If you have tried using an old console on a modern HDTV, the image is usually terrible and the gameplay is likely to have near-unplayable amounts of lag.

That said, if emulation meets your retro needs then this device will serve no purpose in your life.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    It's a magical piece of hardware is what it is.

It is a digital upscaler that is primarily made for retro gaming. It passes various analogue and digital signals (240p, 480i, 480p) through the box, processes them, and then shoots out a clean output at 720p and 1080p for HDMI. The difference between this upscaler and most others, or by simply plugging in your consoles to a CRT or HiDef TV is the fact that it scales up the image by using an integer multiplier, versus deinterlacing that the other options have. What you get is a picture perfect resolution of your games, upscaled to 720p/1080p on your HDTV, without missing artifacts. You then have the option of tossing on a scanline overlay for that old CRT effect. Then the input lag is also the absolute lowest when compared to all other options, both emulated and hardware-based.

The real problem is that it reaaaaaaaaaaaaally shouldn't be 350~500, regardless of how well it performs. It should be more like 150~200 range -- It's made of a plastic material, and feels flimsy to boot. However, if you are a retro gaming enthusiast, it's the pinnacle of upscalers, and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who says otherwise. However, as Spider-Dan's post mentions above, something will succeed the Framemeister eventually, we just don't know if it will be made cheaply and less or more capable. If they are made to be less capable than what's out right now, you can best believe the price will go through the roof on the mini until another company puts out a rival box.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast