Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That first video (from Phonedork) is one of my favorites.
    The My Life In Gaming channel (second vid) has an entire series of videos called "RGB Master Class" that explain all the tedious details of retro gaming video output.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Rumored that the NES classic has been canceled to make a

SNES CLASSIC!

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/19/15...unch-christmas

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Fuck. Time to get an SNES Mini or 1-CHIP before niggas figure it out, lol.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm thinking about this. Only because my RetroPie has dogshit sound for SNES.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

BTW, I'm talking about the original SNES Mini, and not this rumored one. This SNES has the potential to also be terrible if they use emulation again.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

bad or not till i can make money out of this

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

With that said, I will also be making money from this.

Ridill
    BG Level

Fuck Nintendo.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So does phonedork have a SCART switcher as well when hooking up with his XRGB? I wish he showed the cables and connections. Is he using SCART-to-HDMI to the TV? And what output from the consoles? If you're starting with composite, you don't really have RGB, do you? The signals have already been combined.

The more I read (a fair amount of this went over my head) the more I think I an old CRT TV is easiest for my dumbass, but I'd really like to learn about quality upscaling on newer TVs.

Edit: okay I assume his NES is modded for RGB. But Genesis, SNES, and some others, they just buy a cable that will fit in the AV out and output SCART.. then yet another cable, a female SCART to RGB which finally goes in the XRGB's RGB input?

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    So does phonedork have a SCART switcher as well when hooking up with his XRGB?
    I doubt it. You only need a SCART switcher if you want multiple consoles to stay connected all the time.

Is he using SCART-to-HDMI to the TV?
    The Framemeister is the SCART-to-HDMI connection, so yes.

And what output from the consoles? If you're starting with composite, you don't really have RGB, do you?
    He's using RGB output via SCART (except for the PS2, which is component output). I can tell from the pixels and from having seen quite a few RGBs in my time.

Quality can only decrease from the source, where quality (from analog sources) is, in decreasing order:
    VGA / component (31kHz) > RGB (15kHz) > s-video > composite > RF

So if you start with composite output from the console, that's the best the signal can get from there forward.

It's worth mentioning that SCART (and it's bizarro cousin, JP-21) are physical connectors that can carry multiple different video standards. For example, it's possible to get a SCART cable that only carries composite video, because that's one of the 21 pins. Just because it's using that funky 21-pin connector, that doesn't mean the video coming out of it is RGB. You actually need to get an RGB SCART cable (and have a source that supports RGB output) if you want RGB video.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thanks Dan! I have way too many old games and consoles to fail to set up the highest quality possible. Those NES Megaman sprites look amazing.

So between the SNES and the Framemeister is an AV to RGB SCART male and then SCART female to RGB (the 10-pin on the Framemeister)? Two connected cables?

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The SNES has the Nintendo multi-out connector that's also on the N64, GC, and Wii. The cable in question has a male Nintendo multi-out plug that connects to the SNES, and a male SCART connector on the other end. Then you have an adapter that is female SCART on one end, and a male Framemeister-specific mini-DIN connector on the other.

So it goes SNES -> SCART cable -> mini-DIN adapter -> Framemeister -> HDMI cable -> TV.

Since you specifically mentioned NES Megaman, be warned that getting (analog) RGB video from a NES cartridge is very expensive. You can, however, get direct HDMI with the "8-Bit HD" console I linked earlier.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

SNES can also be interesting in that there are MANY different revisions of the system, and 2 of revisions are very bad visually (BA6592F encoder chip) unless you mod/swap the encoder chips out, (a difficult and costly process). Likewise the 1-CHIP versions of the SNES are exceptionally good, as they all use a combined and revised encoder chip (BA6595F & BA6596F). You can check the revision directly on the SNES's PCB:

1) SHVC-CPU-01 (Bad; some have Ghosting Issues; Vertical Band in center of screen)
    2) SNS-CPU-GPM-02 (Bad; Ghosting Issues; Vertical Band)
    3) SNS-CPU-RGB-01 (Good)
    4) SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01 (Good)
    5) SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02 (Good~Very Good)
    6) SNS-CPU-1CHIP-03 (Decent~Good; CSYNC not active; some have Ghosting Issues)
    7) SNS-CPU-APU-01 (Decent~Good)
    8) SNES Mini w/ RGB Mod (Very Good~Best)

The first two revisions are basically the very first SNES systems to be released to North America, though, there are stories of other SNES revisions in the wild that are just as bad.

Can get more information about the revisions here:

http://retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html

What a vertical band looks like on your screen (look at the center):

Spoiler: show

What ghosting looks like:

Spoiler: show

If it matters:

RGB > S-Video > Composite > RF

Stay away from RF in all instances regardless of the SNES you have (you're on the right track with SCART RGB anyways). Almost all SNES can output said RGB signal right out of the box as well, even though Nintendo of America never advertised it. The Mini needs a simple mod to restore RGB functionality, but ends up having the best visuals of them all.

---

Tl;dr, if you want the very best visuals out of your SNES games, you may wanna crack open your SNES and see if the motherboard is a 1-CHIP revision. If not this, you could purchase an RGB modded SNES Mini, or an unmodded one and learn how to mod it yourself, or pay someone 40~60$ to have them do it for you.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I got a Classic this morning, waiting in queue in the snow before Target opened. Thank you Brickseek!

I also bought a Switch just cause hype and scant quantities, but I don't really want this thing yet. I still haven't got around to opening the Wii U I bought in 2012.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    I still haven't got around to opening the Wii U I bought in 2012.
    At this point you're probably better off holding on to it for 20 years and selling it NIB.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I have a question for you dudes, which may prove to be an interesting one. So, I've been reading a few articles and watching a bunch of videos about the discontinuation of the NES Classic, and it prompt me to ask this question to you guys:

Do you guys think Nintendo cancelling and discontinuing the NES Classic to be the smartest or stupidest decision ever?

Granted, while there are tons of pissed off fans who couldn't snag their own box, if nothing else the NES Classic in and of itself accomplished a task that I'm sure Nintendo had been long coveting -- bringing the company back into the spotlight. The optics for the 3DS has been going south for quite some time, while the Wii U remains mostly a flop. With the skepticism over the Switch hanging over their heads, they ran the Classic as a one-off hold over for the holidays (or maybe not?) that ironically became a huge hit because nostalgia. It's really interesting to see both sides of the argument, and both have real valid points.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I fail to see how cancelling it is more valuable than the money you would get from selling more of them.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    I have a question for you dudes, which may prove to be an interesting one. So, I've been reading a few articles and watching a bunch of videos about the discontinuation of the NES Classic, and it prompt me to ask this question to you guys:

Do you guys think Nintendo cancelling and discontinuing the NES Classic to be the smartest or stupidest decision ever?

Granted, while there are tons of pissed off fans who couldn't snag their own box, if nothing else the NES Classic in and of itself accomplished a task that I'm sure Nintendo had been long coveting -- bringing the company back into the spotlight. The optics for the 3DS has been going south for quite some time, while the Wii U remains mostly a flop. With the skepticism over the Switch hanging over their heads, they ran the Classic as a one-off hold over for the holidays (or maybe not?) that ironically became a huge hit because nostalgia. It's really interesting to see both sides of the argument, and both have real valid points.
    I get the premise of your question and understand where you're going with this, but outside of maybe buying some some cross-buzz leading up to the Switch release I don't think Nintendo had any other motive besides putting out an easily produced Christmas gift with high profit margins, knowing that the retro nature of it would draw discussion and exposure without effort and for free.

The 3DS is no spring chicken but isn't "going south", as it is still a console with a ridiculous level of market share across all territories and Pokemon Sun/Moon came out not too long ago, but a console that is simply at the end of its lifespan and has plateaued. The 2DS redesign, knowing how Nintendo tends to focus group concepts into its console redesigns, is likely a precursor test for the DS line successor and the 2DS XL is just the last stop on that train before moving on.

The Wii U wasn't the powerhouse they expected it to be when branding it as part of the Wii family, but a more apt comparison is the Gamecube. Great idea and concepts (that eventually become a central feature of the Switch) but never had the entire industry behind it as they were so enamored with the PS2 and XBox.

The Switch has done well, and i'm sure many Nintendo executives would admit they are surprised at its success behind closed doors. That has given them a little cover, though honestly incidental, in their efforts to sunset the Wii U from memory and move on to their next chapter.

tl;dr Any marketing campaign will of course say its all related when asked what their intentions were, but I think this is just a string of good things happening to Nintendo after reevaluating their mistakes from the previous string of bad things. Iwata's legacy lives on with navigation acumen provided by Kimishima.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I fail to see how cancelling it is more valuable than the money you would get from selling more of them.
    This is actually what I find more interesting. I agree with you, too -- why cancel production at all? Even if we say Nintendo execs were completely oblivious of it's grand success, they obviously have the power to turn right around and say that they would be continuing production... at any point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    I get the premise of your question and understand where you're going with this, but outside of maybe buying some some cross-buzz leading up to the Switch release I don't think Nintendo had any other motive besides putting out an easily produced Christmas gift with high profit margins, knowing that the retro nature of it would draw discussion and exposure without effort and for free.

The 3DS is no spring chicken but isn't "going south", as it is still a console with a ridiculous level of market share across all territories and Pokemon Sun/Moon came out not too long ago, but a console that is simply at the end of its lifespan and has plateaued. The 2DS redesign, knowing how Nintendo tends to focus group concepts into its console redesigns, is likely a precursor test for the DS line successor and the 2DS XL is just the last stop on that train before moving on.

The Wii U wasn't the powerhouse they expected it to be when branding it as part of the Wii family, but a more apt comparison is the Gamecube. Great idea and concepts (that eventually become a central feature of the Switch) but never had the entire industry behind it as they were so enamored with the PS2 and XBox.

The Switch has done well, and i'm sure many Nintendo executives would admit they are surprised at its success behind closed doors. That has given them a little cover, though honestly incidental, in their efforts to sunset the Wii U from memory and move on to their next chapter.

tl;dr Any marketing campaign will of course say its all related when asked what their intentions were, but I think this is just a string of good things happening to Nintendo after reevaluating their mistakes from the previous string of bad things. Iwata's legacy lives on with navigation acumen provided by Kimishima.
    Maybe it is just that simple, even if it's a pretty bold and silly decision by the Nintendo execs. If nothing else, it's very likely given them a number of ideas on how to push their older legacy content, such as SNES, N64 and Gamecube.

"Going south" was perhaps too negative a view, but the 3DS has definitely plateaued, and will start to trend downwards, depending on Switch's success. Wii U is dead for certain however.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I don't know where to ask this, and it shant merit a new thread, so I'll continue the RGB masters chatter this damn thread started.

Should I buy a PVM? I'm going after work to look at a medical supplies warehouse that has a few. He wants $275 per. I'm not sure the exact model as he didn't post it, but it looks like PVM-1953MD or PVM-1954Q or the Olympus equivalent.

A month ago, I'd never heard of RGB or the Framemeister. But then this thread happened. Now I want a couple hundred bucks in cables and a PVM or perhaps an older SD CRT. (Mine is one of those HD CRTs that may have some digital processing input lag)

I ordered a Framemeister from Solaris Japan that will arrive this fall for the main TV. I also want to have one old CRT that can nicely handle original consoles' video, 240p and whatnot.

I'm not sure if I should hunt down a PVM or settle for an old SD consumer CRT. I really doubt now I'll want to keep my HD CRT and its 230 lbs, which I initially thought would be great because it has a ton of inputs and is 4:3. I didn't really know what I needed years ago when I decided to keep the behemoth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast