Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I would run some tests on your HD CRT before I go all in on a PVM (if you have a Dreamcast, the easiest solution is the 240p Test Suite). I would be inclined to say that a low/no-lag HD CRT would be a better device to own than a PVM. I have an HD projection TV that has ~37ms of lag on HDMI and composite inputs but no lag on component input. I will hold on to that TV like grim death.

I had considered getting a PVM myself, but I think instead I'm just going to get a better arcade cabinet. The cabinet I have now has a low-res monitor, and while I was in Tokyo a couple of years back (partially to buy a Framemeister, natch) I saw some Taito cabinets with med-res monitors that looked amazing.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

And if I don't have a Dreamcast? I should probably get a Dreamcast huh

My HD CRT is the Sony KV-40XBR800 if that is of any specific help.

I'm going to see the PVMs in person but may hold off on buying one.

Edit: Actually I could likely borrow a friend's Dreamcast.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

There is also a version of the 240p test suite available for Genesis, but I'm guessing if you don't have a Dreamcast, you probably don't have an EverDrive for Genesis.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Correct, no EverDrive.

So I'm at the warehouse now and this is a score. He's got 6 different 19"/20" PVMs.

There's 20M2MDU I think I'll get. And one of 1943MD or 1953ST

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Now I have 2 PVMs and a 235 lb CRT. I have problems, and I partially blame BG.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    There is also a version of the 240p test suite available for Genesis, but I'm guessing if you don't have a Dreamcast, you probably don't have an EverDrive for Genesis.
    Here's another option for the Test Suite on Sega Genesis for 20$:

http://db-electronics.ca/product/240p-test-suite/

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    Now I have 2 PVMs and a 235 lb CRT. I have problems, and I partially blame BG.
    Also PVMs/BVMs are amazing. If I had the space in my apartment, I'd totally get one. And even then, I'm still thinking about getting one for our NES/SMS Light Gun games, lol.

Some comparisons if you are having cold feet, Rora:

Spoiler: show

PVM/BVM is the very best [CRT] solution if you don't mind the small screen size. Zero input lag, perfect picture clarity when cabled for RGB. My friend still owns a Sony BVM he got for free years ago, and to this day it's still one of the best monitors I've ever seen.

---

Just an aside, I have a Framemeister now w/ 55" OLED, and I have to say my SNES games are absolutely breath taking, even though my SNES is one of the worst revisions.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I have a tough time explaining to people the appeal of scanlines.

I didn't realize it myself until I saw the aforementioned arcade cabinets in Tokyo, and I just couldn't understand why the game looked so much better than it did on my emulator at home.
    Then I figured it out: scanlines.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I have a tough time explaining to people the appeal of scanlines.

I didn't realize it myself until I saw the aforementioned arcade cabinets in Tokyo, and I just couldn't understand why the game looked so much better than it did on my emulator at home.
    Then I figured it out: scanlines.
    Man, I don't even argue scanlines anymore with people, lol. Basically those who grew up primarily on emulators.

The simple fact is that game developers back then used the limitations of the televisions at the time, in conjunction with the limitations of hardware & software to their advantage. Especially games made for SNES and Genesis -- think games like Super Mario RPG or Final Fantasy III, games that had detail, but needed to be scaled back some so as to fit the final product. They definitely put the artwork and renderings together with the idea that they would be played on a 240p CRT television.

In this day and age however with emulation so rampant as it is, there's simply no point in trying to argue on it anymore.

Tell me those scanlines aren't juicy tho!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I shall become adept at this CRT calibration.

I would pay well for this sort of service, but I'll probably have to get comfortable with it myself.

[youtube]yoBqm4ThJxw[/youtube]

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You want scanlines? Imma give you some scanlines.

Look how blocky and disjointed these pictures look pre-scanlines (especially areas like shine/reflections):

Sorry, but only barbarians dislike scanlines.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

yes sir, the glorious scanlined sprites and such; this is what I seek

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Scanlines are juicy only when they aren't so thick that you start losing some of the actual sprites inside of them. That turtles in time shot you showed looks terrible because its completely swallowed up by the scanlines. When I look at that and the actual sprites for the game on sprite sheets, I can't imagine playing with lines that thick.

The scanline images that SD posted are much, much more pleasing.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

You want scanlines? Imma give you some scanlines.

Look how blocky and disjointed these pictures look pre-scanlines (especially areas like shine/reflections):

Sorry, but only barbarians dislike scanlines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Scanlines are juicy only when they aren't so thick that you start losing some of the actual sprites inside of them. That turtles in time shot you showed looks terrible because its completely swallowed up by the scanlines. When I look at that and the actual sprites for the game on sprite sheets, I can't imagine playing with lines that thick.

The scanline images that SD posted are much, much more pleasing.
    Oh I love the scanlines, not sure how you bros thought differently!

Pics were straight off my TV with my iPhone with the OLED/Framemeister combo. I'ma try and turn down the lines a bit so they match some of these screenshots however -- the last 3 screenies are sexy!

Also we should have a scanlines thread IMO.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Sho, your TMNT pic has an awful lot of color bloom; you can't see any of Raphael's detail at all. Is that your camera?

Have you seen the Framemeister recommended color profile settings? The My Life In Gaming channel has the settings listed in their console-specific RGB master class videos (SNES is RGB204).
    Oops, it's actually a different set of videos here.

You can also check the FireBrandX profiles here, but they are all 1080p profiles and as such, are not really suitable for scanlines.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Sho, your TMNT pic has an awful lot of color bloom; you can't see any of Raphael's detail at all. Is that your camera?

Have you seen the Framemeister recommended color profile settings? The My Life In Gaming channel has the settings listed in their console-specific RGB master class videos (SNES is RGB204).
    Oops, it's actually a different set of videos here.

You can also check the FireBrandX profiles here, but they are all 1080p profiles and as such, are not really suitable for scanlines.
    Definitely my camera, I need a capture card!

Also downloaded FirebrandX's profiles (720p), but the scanlines on the box itself was turned down to 40 in that pic. I just pushed the slider back up to 70 and it looks even better (was so dark the colors were actually being washed out).

Can make the 1080p scanlines look decent, but they will still be uneven over all, so I'll stick to 720p. It's a 4K TV so it scales perfectly regardless!

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Also, as I've mentioned before, I still have one of the worst SNESes for RGB still -- the SNS-CPU-GPM-02 -- so some of the definition is washed out over all. I have a SNES Mini that I will mod soon... eventually... when someone sells a THS7374 amp. Voultar has been sold out for weeks. Turning the scanlines up definitely helped, however.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So I opened my SNES and I have SNS-1CHIP 01. Yay? Yay I think. It's also exceptionally unyellowed, lucky used game store find.

SCART cables will be here in a week or so; soon I shall pop my RGB and PVM cherries simultaneously. And maybe in 5 months I'll have a Framemeister.

I appreciate all the info and engagement @Sho and @dan, thanks much

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    So I opened my SNES and I have SNS-1CHIP 01. Yay? Yay I think. It's also exceptionally unyellowed, lucky used game store find.

SCART cables will be here in a week or so; soon I shall pop my RGB and PVM cherries simultaneously. And maybe in 5 months I'll have a Framemeister.

I appreciate all the info and engagement @Sho and @dan, thanks much
    That's a yay!!! Most of the hardcore retro-gaming folk says that the order of SNES revisions goes like this:

Modded SNES Mini/Jr > 1CHIP-02 > 01 <-> 03 > All other revisions.

However, even within the 1CHIP systems there are a few reports I've read of 01s looking better than 02s or 03s. However the difference between 01/02/03 and the Modded Mini Jr. is noticeable:

Either way, any revision of the 1CHIP is very noticeable when placed up against all other 2 PPU chip revisions, so you are good to go on that front. PVM will make it look even better! (I'm still jelly because I don't have any space at my apartment for one, hehe.) Though yellowing can happen with 1CHIP consoles, it's pretty rare, as when Nintendo changed their manufacturing process over to the 1CHIP motherboard revision, they also seemed to have altered the chemicals used in the molding process for the shells as well so they don't oxidize and yellow as much.

Also no problem at all man! I've just recently as of last year gotten back into retrogaming, and it's pretty awesome to have others to talk to about this stuff. In terms of buying games, we are probably a year or two behind on purchasing [SNES] games, but as far as having options for RGB and upscaling for HDTVs, we are in there! There's even an alternative for the Framemeister now, known as the OSSC. Even though I have a Framemeister now, I'm gonna pick up one of these as well when it matures a lil bit more, for my bed room set up.

Feel free to ask me any question! I've obsessed over this stuff for the last 6 months or so, lol.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

There are people who believe that the 1CHIP versions, being a hardware revision, are "less accurate" at executing the game code than the original multi-chip versions. Things like extraneous garbage at the screen edge, or the way certain games react to glitches, etc.

I'm of the opinion that if you happen to have a 1CHIP, great, but if not, the extra cost isn't worth it. The 1CHIP-01/02 cost 3-4 times as much as an earlier model SNES, and the 1CHIP-03/Mini require a mod (and are still more expensive). Just keep in mind that the pictures that you see comparing the different revisions are INCREDIBLY zoomed in; in practice, it will not be nearly as apparent.

I would put it this way: if you are not already using a sync stripper (or other solution to get CSYNC instead of sync-over-composite-video), worrying about your chip revision is a waste of time. CSYNC vs. sync-over-composite-video is a difference that you can see without any zooming at all (e.g. checkerboard patterns).

The OSSC has a major flaw in that it outputs 720p (the best resolution for scanlines) in a non-standard format that will not work on many displays. It also will not output digital audio, so you'll need to jury-rig a workaround for your sound.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

There are people who believe that the 1CHIP versions, being a hardware revision, are "less accurate" at executing the game code than the original multi-chip versions. Things like extraneous garbage at the screen edge, or the way certain games react to glitches, etc.

I'm of the opinion that if you happen to have a 1CHIP, great, but if not, the extra cost isn't worth it. The 1CHIP-01/02 cost 3-4 times as much as an earlier model SNES, and the 1CHIP-03/Mini require a mod (and are still more expensive). Just keep in mind that the pictures that you see comparing the different revisions are INCREDIBLY zoomed in; in practice, it will not be nearly as apparent.

I would put it this way: if you are not already using a sync stripper (or other solution to get CSYNC instead of sync-over-composite-video), worrying about your chip revision is a waste of time. CSYNC vs. sync-over-composite-video is a difference that you can see without any zooming at all (e.g. checkerboard patterns).

The OSSC has a major flaw in that it outputs 720p (the best resolution for scanlines) in a non-standard format that will not work on many displays. It also will not output digital audio, so you'll need to jury-rig a workaround for your sound.
    Yeah, I was reading about those comparisons, and 1CHIP is definitely less accurate than the original revisions, however, it's only on about 8 or so reported games in the last 5 years. Some of these errors are so unnoticable, it wasn't worth mentioning in my previous post so I didn't. These are also errors he won't even see at all because of his PVM -- if he was playing on a digital TV with an upscaler he would because of the overscan. It's not an error worth being up in arms over or something that will inevitably ruin his in-game experience. Even so, he still will come out with a much more sharp revision of SNES to play on as well.

I do agree however on the fact that having a CSYNC solution on any SNES provides an immediate and marked difference when compared to sync-on-composite and especially RF.

As for the OSSC, they are coming out with a new revision that incorporates digital stereo output soon. Sucks for people who picked up the last revision recently, but it's a game changer when you realize it's cost. I do believe that the devs behind the OSSC said the flaw is being worked on, but that it's on a case-by-case, TV type by TV type basis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast