Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The kind of Qs I'd ask are unfortunately the kind that are useless to current XI or its future, and that the current team probably can't answer anyways.

Mainly curiosities, such as original intentions/ideas that got dropped during an expansion, since from CoP onwards they had a knack for laying out zones ahead of time (to reduce download sizes on the updates due to dial-up concerns). I look at zones like Limbus/Hazhalm/Salvage/Nyzul/Walk-of-Echoes, and it looks like they scrapped one idea and just made unrelated battlefield content within them to flesh out the end game of that given expansion.

There's also stuff like the engraved stones ZNM used for the tier-5 fights, and I wonder if they had a different idea for those in mind originally, instead of a simple case of just setting aside room in zones for making use of later, because there was plenty of that in WoTG with sizable unused areas in E.Ron/Pashow/etc that were blocked off.

The kind of shit that should be answered is stuff like Byrthnoth mentioned. It's 2016, and this game is PC-only now. Adjust or add to the packet structure to allow for dumping of more data in one go to alleviate the need to have loading-icons for inventory in the first place. It's embarrassing.

But this is an MMO, they'll only cherry-pick the easy questions to answer. God forbid you ask if they could do server merges.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    The kind of Qs I'd ask are unfortunately the kind that are useless to current XI or its future, and that the current team probably can't answer anyways.

Mainly curiosities, such as original intentions/ideas that got dropped during an expansion, since from CoP onwards they had a knack for laying out zones ahead of time (to reduce download sizes on the updates due to dial-up concerns). I look at zones like Limbus/Hazhalm/Salvage/Nyzul/Walk-of-Echoes, and it looks like they scrapped one idea and just made unrelated battlefield content within them to flesh out the end game of that given expansion.

There's also stuff like the engraved stones ZNM used for the tier-5 fights, and I wonder if they had a different idea for those in mind originally, instead of a simple case of just setting aside room in zones for making use of later, because there was plenty of that in WoTG with sizable unused areas in E.Ron/Pashow/etc that were blocked off.

The kind of shit that should be answered is stuff like Byrthnoth mentioned. It's 2016, and this game is PC-only now. Adjust or add to the packet structure to allow for dumping of more data in one go to alleviate the need to have loading-icons for inventory in the first place. It's embarrassing.

But this is an MMO, they'll only cherry-pick the easy questions to answer. God forbid you ask if they could do server merges.
    Nothing wrong with asking questions about old FFXI development and other things, those are the most likely they'll answer if they know since it won't necessarily be something they have to worry about not being able to disclose, I'd personally be interested in what was their original idea for Sea Promy before they said fuck it and split it into Temenos and Apollyon Limbus. FFXI has a long rich history of development and theres alot of stuff that would be interesting to find out about during its development.

The only questions that would be useless were the kind such as "Could it be possible to add a cheese sandwich to FFXI?".

Edit: Another question that i'd find it interesting if they answered would be what the fuck was the purpose of that ??? near WG and why it was used to test pop PW's pop item long ago lol.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've been drafting a list of questions and so far 6 of them are like: So you said this thing at this date, are you still going to impliment that?
    Most notably imp timer reduction which they mentioned thie past April. I need that. I need it bad...

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    server merges.
    PLS NO STAHP

Its 2 1/2 weeks into July, and the waiting list for Ambuscade is 10 pages deep right now (granted its 5:40 PM JPN time)

Your problem is with their shitty instancing and not so much the concept of merges. I get why you don't want it happening without them fixing it, but it's also hurting the overall population to not have access to more people who might fit a given player's schedule and habits.

I imagine a better solution would be for them to do the opposite thing and create one or two servers which they mark as English servers and allow free transfers for a month or whatever, and from then on anyone playing on an English client default to one of those two servers. That would actually require them making new servers though.

As it is, I doubt you'd get any JP wanting merged servers.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Merging servers doesn't guarantee you'll actually encounter more NA players either. The populations are too lopsided on most servers for a merge to make much impact unless you merge like 4 into 1 which would be horrible for anyone playing in the sphere of JP primetime. Instead of making new servers they could designate some existing servers as mixed or specific time zones only and then allow people to one time transfer to the server of their choice. I think that's the only way they could do it without over-inflating the JP population on every server. And considering the only "new" content is bottle-necked with low populations, adding more congestion wouldn't make things any better.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robertfb View Post
    Nothing wrong with asking questions about old FFXI development and other things, those are the most likely they'll answer if they know since it won't necessarily be something they have to worry about not being able to disclose, I'd personally be interested in what was their original idea for Sea Promy before they said fuck it and split it into Temenos and Apollyon Limbus. FFXI has a long rich history of development and theres alot of stuff that would be interesting to find out about during its development.

The only questions that would be useless were the kind such as "Could it be possible to add a cheese sandwich to FFXI?".

Edit: Another question that i'd find it interesting if they answered would be what the fuck was the purpose of that ??? near WG and why it was used to test pop PW's pop item long ago lol.
    I'd actually be curious to know what they had originally planned for Lower Promyvion and Ou'hpat Obelisk and why they were changed too

Quote Originally Posted by Hitou View Post
    Merging servers doesn't guarantee you'll actually encounter more NA players either. The populations are too lopsided on most servers for a merge to make much impact unless you merge like 4 into 1 which would be horrible for anyone playing in the sphere of JP primetime. Instead of making new servers they could designate some existing servers as mixed or specific time zones only and then allow people to one time transfer to the server of their choice. I think that's the only way they could do it without over-inflating the JP population on every server. And considering the only "new" content is bottle-necked with low populations, adding more congestion wouldn't make things any better.
    Well, it's also why I've been all about them removing the transfer fee. Populations may fluctuate for a bit, but those in a stable group could decide to go to a "dead" server to not have to deal with congestion at all. Meanwhile, those who don't want to risk Asura or whatever could still dabble without financial concern.

Just doing nothing, though, isn't really an acceptable answer. And my general mantra is that paying the sub fee behooves SE to solve problems like this.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    PLS NO STAHP

Its 2 1/2 weeks into July, and the waiting list for Ambuscade is 10 pages deep right now (granted its 5:40 PM JPN time)
    Blame the devs for either not instancing that zone, or not doing ye olde vanilla XI method of making literal dupes of that zone, within the same zone, to at least help alleviate the problem slightly.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    I'd actually be curious to know what they had originally planned for Lower Promyvion and Ou'hpat Obelisk and why they were changed too
    I am more inclined to know what they had planned for Tartarus that was never released in SoA because it got cut short

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'd be curious to know if they had ever planned anything with Olduum, which seemed like it would eventually have more significance. Then there's the Colosseum that still never got used.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Isn't the colosseum where pankration is?

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Pankration is in "The Pit" the Colosseum is still blocked off by a guard.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Is there a different unused zone in the files? Because "the pit" looks exactly like what was advertised as the colosseum.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's in the same zone as Pankration.

There's also that soccer field thing in Fort Karugo-Narugo that never got used as well outside of that one FFXI Japanese series where a crew was PVPing there.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Ask about AV/PW and don't take no for an answer.
    This

I don't know why I want to know so badly, but I do

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Agree on AV/PW

AV: How do you really kill it? What were the brains behind the design of that encounter?
    PW: Why 18 forms in 1 boss? Was it intended to be defeated?

etc

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

as sort of a reminder, don't forget to post your questions on the AMA thread. its happening at 4PM PDT.. which is approximately a little less than 6 hours from the time of this post.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

If anything substantial actually gets answered I will be shocked. At this point I doubt anyone really wants to ask them substantial questions though, considering the usual reaction (if not flatly ignored, then hand-waved away with some polite bullshit).