1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 2 hours, 1 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 21 hours, 58 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 19 hours, 1 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 14 hours, 58 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Patch 3.35 Notes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I specifically do NOT think that the "best" materia should drop from raid content; that idea is manifestly terrible and works against the entire idea of the system. Raid content already has sufficient rewards and doesn't need any extra incentive to get people to play it, and hiding the most desirable materia in content that people are already complaining about is self-defeating. In fact, in an ideal scenario, current raid-tier content wouldn't drop any of this materia at all.

The "good" materia should be spread out fairly liberally around different content. This would accomplish two things:

1) more people willing to organize/queue for a wider variety of content
    2) more people willing to help out for sidegrade drops
    I wasn't just talking about raid content though - I was talking about new, difficult content such as Extreme 24 man, Extreme Dungeons, Extreme Treasure Maps, Extreme Diadem, stuff like that. I get that people don't want to commit to raid groups and raid times and can see how people can't do that but still want to do difficult content. Raid finder doesn't exactly help with that due to queue times and people lying about fight experience, but its a start - it would help to expand the variety of difficult content.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Nah, you don't just jump directly to people wanting shit mailed to you on login when that's nowhere near what I was advocating. You think forcing people to wait months to improve their characters is okay. I don't, and I doubt you've actually stopped to contemplate the benefit of alternative gearing sources for the PUG scene while content is more relevant. Otherwise, the feelings of a vocal minority who have convinced themselves they're more deserving because they happen to like X over Y isn't doing anyone any good, especially when the raiding culture itself thrives on insular, static groups where you're highly unlikely to ever interact with those you're so determined to keep down.

Seriously, it's not about people not trying hard enough or sucking too much. It's understanding that the logistics of it all don't make the most hospitable of experiences for every player. Giving people things to do is far more likely to translate to happy players, where not doing so risks boredom and looking elsewhere for their fun.
    I get that you wasn't advocating that people having stuff mailed to them on login, but I was trying to make the point that there isn't any effort required to do things like Expert Roulette, 24 man (outside of the first couple of weeks if you DF it) or Diadem.

I have never said that people should be forced to wait months to improve their characters. I've been saying there should be more difficult content with a wider variety of party setups and/or types of battle content. I have said that if people want the top end very best gear/items, they should have to put in the amount of effort required to do that content. If that means spending time using catch up gear to improve their characters, sure. If that means spending time to improve their rotation and how they deal with mechanics, great. But I never once said people should be forced to wait to get top end gear. I said if they don't want to put in the required performance to get it, then they can wait for extra gear/echo/mechanics nerfs.

Saying I don't contemplate the benefit of alternative gear sources is actually so far from what I believe so I don't know why you think that. I think if Diadem had been more difficult mechanically and the gear wasn't Aetherial (i.e. just two random stats) it would have been good. I've even advocated allowing 24 man gear to be upgraded a ridiculous amount of times - i'm like a broken record about it.

I couldn't care less if its the vocal majority of the minority - its about the point being made. Want to break up the "insular static" end game? Bring out more content that doesn't require statics that is actually difficult. Statics/linkshells/fc's will ALWAYS happen with difficult content because most people prefer having schedules and a reliability in playing in a team that's familiar with themselves, and of course its going to be an 8 man static when all the difficult content in the game is 8 man. But if you expand that to 24man/diadem, you'll have linkshell groups and FC groups for it and you'll definitely need stand ins which opens it up more for those on non standard/changing schedules.

I've also never said people shouldn't have stuff to do, i've advocated more difficult content. But playing a game just isn't about progressing your gear - its also about progressing your own personal skill level and I feel for top end gear you should be expected to do that.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    I wasn't just talking about raid content though - I was talking about new, difficult content such as Extreme 24 man, Extreme Dungeons, Extreme Treasure Maps, Extreme Diadem, stuff like that.
    What you are describing is still endgame content, and I don't think such a system should be treated as endgame rewards. It should be a system that expands the depth of the game; after all, you don't have to win EX Primals to unlock new job abilities.

In short, I don't see this as a way to incentivize people to participate in new, more difficult content... I see it as a way to allow them to customize their character. While I wouldn't mind buying the materia with a straight token system, I think there's more value in spreading the materia around all the useless content currently in the game.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Y'all can debate pages on how to make the game better, but SE is never going to do it so there's really no point. XIV is going to be the same endless cycle of pointless boring tome grinding and vanilla "balance" with the occasional glamour event thrown in until the day it shuts down.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Y'all can debate pages on how to make the game better, but SE is never going to do it so there's really no point.
    The alternative is playing the game, so...

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I thought the alternative was cancelling your sub and playing something more fun by a company who deserves your money.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Y'all can debate pages on how to make the game better, but SE is never going to do it so there's really no point. XIV is going to be the same endless cycle of pointless boring tome grinding and vanilla "balance" with the occasional glamour event thrown in until the day it shuts down.
    Still, this discussion is more original content than SE have brought out recently.

What you are describing is still endgame content, and I don't think such a system should be treated as endgame rewards. It should be a system that expands the depth of the game; after all, you don't have to win EX Primals to unlock new job abilities.

In short, I don't see this as a way to incentivize people to participate in new, more difficult content... I see it as a way to allow them to customize their character. While I wouldn't mind buying the materia with a straight token system, I think there's more value in spreading the materia around all the useless content currently in the game.
    I would agree with that - although I still think there is a lack of new, difficult content and we need more of it - on top of that I feel there also needs to be more incentive for people to actually do difficult content (the raid population has been gutted since 3.0).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

I thought the alternative was cancelling your sub and playing something more fun by a company who deserves your money.
    I was going to retort with "such as?" then I realized that gaming market pretty much has nothing of interest coming out for a while... I'm even more sad now ._.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I thought your point was that it was useless to talk about things that aren't going to happen?

In any case, I'd say wasting time posting to forums about a disappointing game I am paying for is preferable to wasting time posting to forums about a disappointing game I have stopped paying for but can't quit. So really, I don't think this is the best place for any of us to point out things we should be doing that are not XIV.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I thought your point was that it was useless to talk about things that aren't going to happen?

In any case, I'd say wasting time posting to forums about a disappointing game I am paying for is preferable to wasting time posting to forums about a disappointing game I have stopped paying for but can't quit. So really, I don't think this is the best place for any of us to point out things we should be doing that are not XIV.
    Not easy for some people, look at XI as an example because they do it all the time after they quit lol.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

They're both equally terrible, but they both come from the heart. Nobody wants a game they want to like to not be good.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    They're both equally terrible, but they both come from the heart. Nobody wants a game they want to like to not be good.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I want XIV to be good...I'm sure all the posters here who have quit would have liked it to be good. Graphically and musically (the 2 things SE has always been good at) it is fantastic, but the rest of it is in various stages of brokenness. I mostly post in the XIV forum now out of habit/being part of the community/for entertainment rather than any vested interest in the game though. I truly don't miss it at all, I guess because it's still too recent and there isn't enough community presence to create a nostalgic investment. I think there are quite a few posters who have quit the game but still keep one eye on it here just to see what's going on with it/waiting for a time that may not come when it suddenly gets good.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I treat it like any other MMO: play it while content is fresh; dump it once you've done what you wanted/could; come back when fresh content comes out. Asking for a MMORPG to keep you interested 365 days a year for a decade these days is foolish. This ain't 2004 anymore. You aren't in high school or college anymore, and online gaming as a whole has moved onto different things.

Just give me goddamn bannerlord so I can mod my own shit. Can't wait, mount and blade II...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I treat it like any other MMO: play it while content is fresh; dump it once you've done what you wanted/could; come back when fresh content comes out. Asking for a MMORPG to keep you interested 365 days a year for a decade these days is foolish. This ain't 2004 anymore. You aren't in high school or college anymore, and online gaming as a whole has moved onto different things.

Just give me goddamn bannerlord so I can mod my own shit. Can't wait, mount and blade II...
    I'd settle to have it keep me interested for a month after each patch. It barely (outside of raids) does 2 weeks now.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Maybe next time, lol. Surely they'll deliver? XD

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I very much doubt it.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

When is the next patch supposed to be anyway?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I played this patch for... two days.
    a grand total of two days.

I'm only subbed because I like my house. :C

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Modoru View Post
    I'm only subbed because I like my house. :C
    Just as planned!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Don't worry Modoru you're not alone. Yoshi-p's master plan is working just as intended.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    When is the next patch supposed to be anyway?
    End of Sept if we're lucky, but most likely October.