1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 21 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 38 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 21 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 38 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Patch 3.35 Notes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thats why I thought Sky, Sea, and whatever trials could have worked: you had to pass the dps check BEFORE you are allowed to do the content with a party. Or, baring that, give party leaders the option to have passing that trial a pre-req before joining their party for that content. iLevel gear requirements mean very little if the mechanics or DPS cannot match.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cem Bob
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    iLevel gear requirements mean very little if the mechanics or DPS cannot match.
    That, and letting anybody surpass the requirements just by doing brain-dead easy roulette's for tomes. I feel that "expert" should mean just that, rather than just "new 60 cap dungeon".

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'm just waiting for Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord. Still salty they never made a MMO action game without sorcery in it that just mirrorered 850-1100 AD military engagements and tactics, but we can't always get what we want.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    Thats why I thought Sky, Sea, and whatever trials could have worked: you had to pass the dps check BEFORE you are allowed to do the content with a party. Or, baring that, give party leaders the option to have passing that trial a pre-req before joining their party for that content. iLevel gear requirements mean very little if the mechanics or DPS cannot match.
    Never happen, because 80% of XIV's braindead playerbase wouldn't be able to pass, they would feel butthurt and quit. SE wants subs and extra money from idiots, not to have integrity and cater to the players who actually learn how to play.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Integrity doesn't keep the lights on unless you're running tournaments and collecting cash from them.

Making a profit and making a good game are not mutually exclusive and the only people that should be making an argument for the former at the expense of the latter are SE shareholders, not their players.

Perhaps I should rephrase: Being taught a class' role is not something you have to lock exclusively to party play.

I hated CoP to the point it's practically a passion, and among those dislikes is the fact the level capping changed how jobs played as you went along. Still, there's nothing really stopping a dev from creating training modes for various stages of content where you can't actually access it until you pass its related training. Punishingly hard shouldn't be the goal, either. Of course, if you don't like "raiding" then you should obviously have other shit that's worth doing and not just chasing vanity items.

As I implied earlier, we basically need to get over the "traditions" of what some feel an MMO is or was. XI-style lost to WoW. WoW is losing to stagnation. Pretty much everything else is trying to be WoW without Blizzard's budget. Unsurprisingly, they don't do well. Survive? Sure, but never that fabled "killer" everyone seems to look to the next hyped title as. And that'll never happen as long as we keep expecting the same with a different coat of paint. It's not just gaming trends that have changed since then. People are wiser about the bullshit of MMO mechanics, too. Though some just aren't willing to admit it because nostalgia 'n shit.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Making a profit and making a good game are not mutually exclusive and the only people that should be making an argument for the former at the expense of the latter are SE shareholders, not their players.
    This is not a bad game. It may not be the game you (or I) want, but it is not a bad game. 1.0 was a bad game. This is not.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Never happen, because 80% of XIV's braindead playerbase wouldn't be able to pass, they would feel butthurt and quit. SE wants subs and extra money from idiots, not to have integrity and cater to the players who actually learn how to play.
    Yeah I know

But you know, having that would make getting that better gear feel so much better. I would feel i am getting stronger.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    This is not a bad game. It may not be the game you (or I) want, but it is not a bad game. 1.0 was a bad game. This is not.
    This is what Stockholm Syndrome looks like.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Hating CoP should be a bannable offense. The correlation between hating CoP and being a shitass poster is pretty well established by this point.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Hating CoP should be a bannable offense. The correlation between hating CoP and being a shitass poster is pretty well established by this point.
    Oh dear sweet god, the many things I can say about the latter half of this post..

And FFXI is no longer the same game anyway. Our memories are just intangible memories now.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    This is what Stockholm Syndrome looks like.
    Sure.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Integrity doesn't keep the lights on unless you're running tournaments and collecting cash from them.
    Kappa.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    I guess you should have low expectations of SE, just sad after FFXI, FMO and DQX proves they could do so much better if they really wanted to.
    How far we've fallen.

Come on now, I was one of the main optimists for this game - you guys should know this. However this game is one unto itself and unlike the aforementioned games that Niiro mentioned. FFXIV already came in with a very WoW-like methodology (solo > party), and should have been seen as much since, especially if you played any previous MMO before it that was party-centric. Since most of us come from FFXI (and even still most of us from hardcore HNM LSes), this was already a an impossible order to fill.

It'll never touch FFXI on it's best day, and honestly it doesn't need to do so. FFXIV devs only need to allow it to grow into a better and expanded FFXIV, one that incentivizes party-play. However, I feel the one great problem people on BG have is that they will never escape the stigmatizing the game simply because they WANT it to be very FFXI-like in it's internal meta and methodology. Because of this, most naysayers will never be happy regardless of the quality of the patch introduced, mainly because of pre-judging and comparing. Sho simply goes in and has fun regardless.

Because of the above, I simply & personally approach the game it in a different manner -- that from a more social perspective. I go about in game, to and fro, and actually make friends out of randos and spur them to actually do various content, ranging from very casual to mildly hardcore depending. You guys would actually be very surprised at the number of people who actually want to do more difficult content, but find a hard time because of:

1) Hardcore (and sub-tier wanna be hardcore) players just being dicks in general and unable to pass on their collective knowledge of the game to lesser men.
    2) Not being able to find like-minded individuals who have the ambition that spurs them to attempt content and grow together as individuals and as a team.
    3) Players not having any real midcore content that could bridge the gap (lets be fair, slipping in soft versions of coil mechanics throughout HEAVENSWARD was cute, but just about every new player has no clue this had a meaningful purpose at all).

This isn't the fault of the players, but of the developers, who simply wish to cater to the casual base instead of the 1~5% who do hardcore content. Is this a bad thing? Perhaps, depending on your perspective. We already know what happens when you try to cater to the hardcore crowd (WildStar) and we saw how much of a failure that was as their devs scrambled to salvage the game by making it more casual friendly. We also know what happens when you create a game that provides nearly no incentive to obtain shiny things by one and all (WoW). Yoshi-P and crew really are trying to get such a formula right that gives to both crowds, but we have already seen that it will either go too HAM (Second Coil/Alex 7 Savage), or too soft (Final Coil) on the hardcore raid end, while hashing, rehashing and remixing content on the causal end.

Whether people want to wait or not to see if they get the formula right is up to them, but I no longer waste my time lamenting over what FFXIV should or might be, I simply go in and... have fun and hang out.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    1~5% who do hardcore content.
    Semantics, but its actually above 10% - when they released the amount of people that cleared AS1 (this was during 3.0 iirc) - it was over 10% of the active playerbase (from lodestone scrapes) at the time. Not hugely accurate, but there's far more people that want to do raid content than the sack of shit side content like Triple Triad and LoV. You can probably include Diadem with that now, and in a few weeks Deep Dungeon.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    Semantics, but its actually above 10% - when they released the amount of people that cleared AS1 (this was during 3.0 iirc) - it was over 10% of the active playerbase (from lodestone scrapes) at the time. Not hugely accurate, but there's far more people that want to do raid content than the sack of shit side content like Triple Triad and LoV. You can probably include Diadem with that now, and in a few weeks Deep Dungeon.
    I would be willing to bet that the 10% figure has dropped dramatically since then.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    I would be willing to bet that the 10% figure has dropped dramatically since then.
    Maybe. Midas was well received, but i'd imagine the number of raiders has dropped and not been replaced by the new players that SE advertises for.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Some of the worst parts of CoP are well-represented in this game.

Oh, your static broke up? Have fun making any sort of progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    We also know what happens when you create a game that provides nearly no incentive to obtain shiny things by one and all (WoW).
    I cannot imagine how a game could possibly have less interesting or rewarding gear than XIV.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I cannot imagine how a game could possibly have less interesting or rewarding gear than XIV.
    Neither can I.

Honestly I could see myself getting back into XIV if they ever changed the bland gear... I mean I can remember a time when FFXI got grindy and felt routine... but the items I was after always felt worth the grind, even if they were just weird shit (Like say, recently, a useless gun for THF from a 119 Ramuh fight that no one wants to do because Ramuh's a cunt).

But I know XIV will never be XI, and I know they'll never make gear interesting or have depth because that would confuse casuals, which is their audience... but I really think I could over look the games other flaws if the gear wasn't a doctor recommended substitute for sleeping pills.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast