+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus View Post
    Exactly. That was another good thing about it. The next episode LITERALLY picks up where the last left off.
    That actually made it really hard to stop binging it. You get so caught up, or at least I did, that I never noticed credits happening, and it's like, "WOAH! I said I was going to stop after 4, and it's been 6 hours. What the heck?"

E. Body
    BG Level

I have an extension that skips credits, and gets rid of that annoying "Continue watching?" bs. It's fantastic, and I get nothing done.

which extension is this

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I thought the show was fantastic and the child actors nailed it perfectly. Not some teens pretending to be younger, but actual good child actors. Everything really brought it together from the atmosphere to the music to the story itself. Felt like a "page turner" with how much I wanted to watch what happens next.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

So far my only complaints about it are just how ugly the toothless kid is and the fact that they say "douchebag" several times in something that I believe is taking place in the 80s.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Kids ARE supposed to be ugly and mishapen. >_> At least I was.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Kids ARE supposed to be ugly and mishapen. >_> At least I was.
    This. These are the loser kids in a rural (Indiana?) town. Kids playing DnD in 1983 doing 10 hour campaigns on a weekend. They aren't likely going to be attractive or athletic. Probably only have any athleticism purely through the biking necessities of that age. If anything I think the kids were a little too smart/mature, but that was probably a little on the necessary side.

I think the kids "cursed" a bit more than I would have expected. These are middle school kids with very little connection to upperclassmen and such. But I do believe mommy mentioning to him an offer of watching an R rated movie at some point, so I suppose they do have access to some of that terminology.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    which extension is this
    flix assist for google chrome

How do we get a hold of the electronic music?? Started last night and instantly fell in love with the series

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Full soundtrack is on Spotify for free.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    So far my only complaints about it are just how ugly the toothless kid is and the fact that they say "douchebag" several times in something that I believe is taking place in the 80s.
    Considering "douchebag" is an insult that at least dates back to the 1930s, why is that a complaint for you?

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

This show was fantastic. I thought the best part was how all of the kids and older teenagers were ugly AF. It would have been really easy for them to throw in attractive 21 year olds to play the highschool kids.

Full soundtrack is on Spotify for free.
    But not the original music

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, I dunno where you can find 13 hours of recorded score for the show. o_o

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Marootsoobutsu View Post
    Considering "douchebag" is an insult that at least dates back to the 1930s, why is that a complaint for you?
    It may have existed then, but it was extremely rare until the 2000s. Like, 2-3 occurrences per decade in literature rare. Having a town in the 80s where multiple people are saying it regularly is less believable than a girl with psychic powers

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

It may have existed then, but it was extremely rare until the 2000s. Like, 2-3 occurrences per decade in literature rare. Having a town in the 80s where multiple people are saying it regularly is less believable than a girl with psychic powers
    Completely agree.

Also, the cast wasn't beautiful on purpose / for authenticity. They were trying to not only make a movie about the 80s, but make a movie that felt like it was also FILMED in the 80s. Can get a bunch more info about this from the new Rolling Stone article.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

E.T. used the term, it was relatively common on Hill Street Blues (one of the more popular shows at the time); hell, in the 70s, SNL had a skit featuring Lord and Lady Douchebag. I don't see these three being either uncommon or rare in their consumption at the time. And these little nerds had *CERTAINLY* seen E.T.

I think we need to be careful when examining behavior and language from the 40s-80s in terms of media and literary usage. Censoring was a big thing, and even as legal barriers cracked, social barriers remained. I'm not of the opinion that people swear more today than they did in the 1950s-- or at least not substantially more so-- but its openness of portrayal definitely increases in the 80s as Cable TV became more common, accelerated in the 90s as Cable became almost standard, and by the 2000s, the Internet had stripped away centralized control of behavioral portrayal. You definitely have a segment of the population that avoids swearing (I try to be), but there's also always been that part that couldn't care less, and they aren't uncommon. They don't fit in the Mayberry white-picket-fences suburbia so many on the right like to idolize, but most of America didn't fit there, either; some did, some liked to pretend, but that was so white-washed it's ridiculous to think of most media from then as accurate portraiture of our society. Maybe of what our society (or some in our society) wanted to be or to believe, but not what it was.

E.T., SNL, and Hill Street Blues lived in that narrow band between G-rated and R-rated; your options were relatively limited. Drop an F-Bomb, you probably went R, and once R, well... let's just carpet bomb the movie with it. Even "damn" was relatively uncommon on television, and you can almost find that in G-rated things now. Things like the Comic Code Authority were super common, too-- even if it wasn't an official government censor, there was a ton of industry control on it. People still wanted that white picket fence feel.

For my own anecdotal, I know that douchebag was one of my favorite terms by 3rd grade, along with most of my class (just so long as the teachers weren't listening). That, and scumbag, piss, dick-- y'know, the "edgy-but-not-quite-even-the-b-word" tier stuff that showed you didn't care about authority, but weren't risking getting caught with the heavy stuff. Granted, that was '88, not early 80s, but I also remember the lecture our class got when we *were* caught using douchebag, about how that's not okay. I mean, we knew it wasn't, that's why we were using it, but whatever.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Sumy View Post
    Completely agree.

Also, the cast wasn't beautiful on purpose / for authenticity. They were trying to not only make a movie about the 80s, but make a movie that felt like it was also FILMED in the 80s. Can get a bunch more info about this from the new Rolling Stone article.
    I don't care how 'ugly' the cast in general is. That doesn't bug me at all. Just that one fucking toothless kid. Every time I see his face and hear him talk at the same time I gag a little bit.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Fucking phenomenal series! Holy shit was I at the edge of my seat at the end of each episode. Only because of BG did I even give this show a chance.

Spoiler: show
    Poor Eleven . She never got a chance at a normal life and I was hoping she'd turn back up even in the Upside Down world towards the credits.

If I have one complaint about the series is that it probably could've been done without the teenage angst. Even then the character Steve was such a breath of fresh air because he genuinely cared.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm kinda glad that they didn't go with a trope of Nancy ending up with lovable loser-outcast Jonathan and she actually gave Steve a chance to redeem himself. Which he did.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag