Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

There are a few bugs, found a good one today in coop where if you split up near the end of the level the camera gets confused and locked up, forcing you to restart the level.

Overall it's super faithful to Sonic1-3&K, and some of the bosses are great fun but suffers from pretty much the same problems Sonic 1-3&K had. Some of the gimmick bosses were unsatisfying though but that's the nature of gimmicks. The level design is half amazing and super creative and vindictively punishing (for no particular reason) at the same time. I loved that some zones were a mix of several levels and some of the characters that showed up were a throw back to some old and vague shit.

The boss music was kind of a let down, considering some of the bosses you fight I kind of wanted more specific (but remixed) boss music. It's a lot better than I expected to be since it's basically on the same level as old Sonic games with exception to the music (don't get me wrong it's good, and some of it is great, but it's still missing quite a lot). The level design is hit or miss funnily enough in the same sort of way old Sonic games are. Earlier levels are super polished but the later levels are kinda convoluted and rough especially with forced bumpers/jumps and springs, but it did constantly throw new (old) things at you especially regarding shield powers.

Still need to go through with Knuckles and Tails, but I'm enjoying the game.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The boss theme leaned too much into Sonic CD hiphop territory rather than something more memorable/intimidating like S2/S&K.

At any rate, after having beaten the game...
    Spoiler: show
    The last zone felt like a chore to play, and a bit on the long side. Would have preferred if they shortened it up, not use the spheres from Sonic&Knuckles' minigame over and over, and had a better final boss. I was expecting either another phase from that fight or a dedicated boss area like Sonic 2 did, but nope. It just kinda ends.

Only qualm I have otherwise is that the game looks uneven with some zones having animated transitions between one another, and others just doing a black fadeout to the next level. There was also the other issue as noted above where some gimmick bosses were too easy, and some bosses have phase transitions with enough hang time that you could attack and leave them near dead before they start being a problem.

For folks coming to the game later with the Steam release, be sure to put the sound volume to half that of the music so you can enjoy the soundtrack without the sharp spindash/coin-bling noise hurting the ears. It's pretty fucking good.

Not sure what all they could do to follow-up Mania if they get contracted again. I could certainly go for more stages, but not sure how many stage-based gimmicks you can introduce to keep things fresh with that core rollercoaster gameplay.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Not sure what all they could do to follow-up Mania if they get contracted again. I could certainly go for more stages, but not sure how many stage-based gimmicks you can introduce to keep things fresh with that core rollercoaster gameplay.
    I'm not sure you need to. Follow it up in a year or two with 'Sonic & Knuckles Mania" with redone/new stages and call it 19.99 in the bank.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I can credit the game for having some excellent level design, and if they're able to consistently release levels that are this fun to play, I'd keep paying them. It doesn't have the typical pacing issues, clunky stuck-in-the-mud points in otherwise excellent levels. *glares at sonic advance* Everything is paced just how it should be. Playing through some of these is a whole different experience depending on the path you decide to take. It's fun to go fast, or take your time and look around. Game lets you play how you want and that's important. I did time out a couple times just exploring, that said..

The redesign of Speedway warmed my heart. It's the love child of SCD and S3. So much Marble Garden in that level, but with everything that made Speedway fun and silly.

And I still can't catch those fucking robots in the special stage. *grumble* stage out on the 5th emerald every time at the corner where the bombs and blue orbs are once I hit mach 3.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

I've never been so ironically excited for a game in my life

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Really wish Sonic Mania had a physical release on the Switch, all the positive reviews really make me want to play it, but I like having physical copies of console games.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Tag Team introduced, Metal Sonic theme remixed
    urn up the volume as SEGA released a brand-new music track from Sonic Forces, featuring one of Sonic’s most sinister nemeses, Metal Sonic. Created by the evil Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic returns in Sonic Forces with the sole purpose of taking down our beloved blue hedgehog. Check out the latest track showcasing Metal Sonic’s thunderous musical techno beat here.

That’s not all Sonic fans! A new video also dropped showcasing never-before-seen Tag Gameplay footage. In Tag stages, Modern Sonic and the custom Hero Character team up to utilize Sonic’s boost abilities and homing attack along with the Hero Character’s Wispon abilities and grappling hook action to defeat the enemies. The video also reveals a new Wispon, the Cube Wispon, which allows the Hero Character to freeze enemies in block-like prisons and ultimately pulverize them into oblivion.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

In 30 seconds they show multiple stopping points with clunky interruptions to an otherwise fast pace. Really reminded me of those werehog stages where you just stop what you're doing and kill mobs.

Remix sounds good.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Looks like news is coming out the PC version has Denuvo DRM which supposedly can shorten a SSD's lifespan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Well, glad I got the NSW version as I simply wouldn't buy it at all now.

Fuck DRM and epsecially Denuvo. Almost positive the delay was entirely related to this.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Preorder Bonuses announced... Fursona...

BG Level

Persona 5 skin? Well I didn't see that coming.

I know where the door is...

Seriously though they all look horrid

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    which supposedly can shorten a SSD's lifespan
    There are valid complaints about Denuvo but this is 100% false, yet for some stupid reason people keep parroting it.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    There are valid complaints about Denuvo but this is 100% false, yet for some stupid reason people keep parroting it.
    I would belive it since after some digging all the URLs I got back about it dated from mid/late 2014.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I get that people dislike DRM by design, but somehow the internet has convinced themselves that Denuvo destroys SSDs (it doesn't), ruins performance (in 99.9% of situations it doesn't), requires a constant internet connection (It's like once a month unless the game just updated), and prevents modding (it doesn't). Outside of one specific instance of poorly implemented Denvuo ruining performance, none of those are true.

The only time anyone would even notice Denuvo is if they're away from internet for a month plus, which I guess to be fair I'll be experiencing when I transfer to my next unit depending on time between port calls, but eh I'll just get cracked exes for that. Otherwise it's a completely transparent DRM that doesn't affect my gaming experience in the slightest.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post

Preorder Bonuses announced... Fursona...
    PS4 & XBone also get controller skins.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

requires a constant internet connection (It's like once a month unless the game just updated)
    The PC version of Mania did launch requiring always connected online play. It has since been patched to allow for offline.

BG Level

I get that people dislike DRM by design, but somehow the internet has convinced themselves that Denuvo destroys SSDs (it doesn't), ruins performance (in 99.9% of situations it doesn't), requires a constant internet connection (It's like once a month unless the game just updated), and prevents modding (it doesn't). Outside of one specific instance of poorly implemented Denvuo ruining performance, none of those are true.

The only time anyone would even notice Denuvo is if they're away from internet for a month plus, which I guess to be fair I'll be experiencing when I transfer to my next unit depending on time between port calls, but eh I'll just get cracked exes for that. Otherwise it's a completely transparent DRM that doesn't affect my gaming experience in the slightest.
    Yeah that's my bad for looking into this whole thing while I was on a lunch break. Though what sucks is if people poreordered and don't want the game due to this DRM reveal they're SOL on Steam since Sonic 1 came bundled with it and is considered a point of purchase.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries