• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

How do you reduce video size without reducing [visual] quality?

As topic title.

I suspect many of my anime are visually fine, but the sound quality is unbelievably high. I wish to reduce the file size to an acceptable amount but not reduce the visual quality.

For example, coalgirls encode their stuff with FLAC which is where the bulk comes from I think. I will probably never in my life own equipment capable of taking full advantage of this. I wish to re-encode the whole file to an acceptable file size standard and not lose any visual quality and to a mp3 (or equivalent, I can't tell the difference) or something where it's more manageable.

Sorry in advance if I hurt anyone's feelings. I understand some must have the top of the range encode. But my budget does not allow this. Maybe in another life/universe.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Use VirtualDub, direct stream copy for video, encode the audio to AAC or something else that is more sensible.

Edit: Handbrake is also good for this, and has a better interface.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Tried around with some of my anime treasures.
    An episode encoded by Elysium (720p, video H264, audio FLAC) with a total size of 535MB contains a FLAC track that's about 153MB.
    An episode encoded by Chihiro (720p, video H264, audio AAC) with a total size of 166MB contains an AAC track that's about 19MB.

Those are pretty much the extremes of both ends in my 720p collection: Elysium (and coalgirls) go for maximum quality with acceptable file size, and groups like Chihiro aim for minimal size with still good quality.
    The H264 codec has so many screws to tune, you'd have a hard time getting similar video quality as you currently have with a re-encode since each new encode automatically means quality loss.

One thing you could do would be to extract the FLAC tracks, re-encode them to AAC/MP3, and then re-mux them into the video. That would reduce the file size by 100+MB without touching video quality. https://mkvtoolnix.download/

Or, simply look for another release of the anime by another group that used a smaller file size target.

Should you really want to fiddle with muxing/re-encoding, these are the track details from both video tracks:
    Elysium
    Spoiler: show
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : [email protected]
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 26mn 50s
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Writing library : x264 core 114 r1900 60ef1f8
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.80:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.10

Chihiro
    Spoiler: show
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 6 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 21mn 9s
    Nominal bit rate : 971 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.044
    Writing library : x264 core 67 r1139M 1024283
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy_rd=0.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=971 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00

@Strom I looked into Handbreak too and wanted to suggest it, but it seems it doesn't offer a "stream copy" option for the video track, it always wants to re-encode.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    @Strom I looked into Handbreak too and wanted to suggest it, but it seems it doesn't offer a "stream copy" option for the video track, it always wants to re-encode.
    Ah, that's a shame. Good old VirtualDub will get the job done then. See the following link for help regarding batch conversion:
    http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guid...pp-vdub.html#5

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Avidemux will do the job copying source vid and re-encoding audio.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux/

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Nice guys!!

I'm mkvtoolnix muxing my videos first, as I actually downloaded 2 copies (1 HQ 1 LQ), I'll join them up for now.

I'll fiddle with virtualdub/avidemux after/later on my other files. This is working great.

edit: this is really handy, I have a cantonese copy of some of my anime, I can mux them all together and save more space! Just need to be careful on the audio timings on some.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Going to second the guy who said Handbrake. Easy to use, highly configurable, does a great job at reencoding and compressing video without quality loss if you set it up right.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Thanks, I shoved handbreak through one of my 7.5gb files (was a movie) and it reduced it to 2.7 something.

Don't notice any difference. I can settle with this for stuff I can't reduce reliably.

On a series I really care about I'll acquire the best quality I can find.