+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is my router dying?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Is my router dying?

A little less than a year ago, I purchased a Netgear R6400 (AC1750) router. Things have been working great until sunday night. We returned from an overnight trip and I noticed about 30 minutes after turning everything back on that I could not connect to a game in Overwatch via wired network. After a few minutes of waiting, I was able to get into a quickplay game and had no latency. About 20 minutes later, everything stalled both on wifi and wired. I power cycled both the modem and the router and even though it had a couple of hiccups, things seemed to go good.

Last night we came home from doing errands and it was doing the same thing. Checking the Send/Receive on my desktop, it was sending but not receiving anything. According to comcast my modem was online and active. I power cycled the router and it worked for about 20 minutes before doing it again. I did another power cycle, then logged into my router and updated the firmware. That seemed to fix the packet loss issue, but Netflix was still being slow transitioning from the end of one episode to the next. Whereas in the past it would take maybe 2-5 seconds, it would sit and buffer for a good 15-30 seconds between episodes.

Any other troubleshooting I can do? I checked to make sure no one was leeching (guest account is disabled and doesn't broadcast), only devices connected at that time was my desktop (wired), both our IPhones, and our IPad. All other settings looked good.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Plug directly into the cable modem for testing purposes. Your computer should pull a public IP directly (make sure your Windows firewall is turned on). Test for stability.

Maybe there's DD-WRT or Tomato for your router, also. I installed that on mine and it made it a LOT better.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

It does support Tomato, but I know zilch about it, so trying to avoid homebrew for my own sanity's sake.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's not difficult. The firmware's basic settings will get you through, though you'd want to secure your wireless definitely.

That being said, if the router isn't salvageable, you'll lose nothing by using custom firmware on it. Jus sayin'

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Well last night it decided to work perfectly, so fingers crossed.