+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

ugh. fuck you bg. I tried formatting that and it made me do a capcha, then ate my post lol. luckily I typed it in notepad.

sorry for the wall of text. there were paragraphs there... once...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I barely skimmed that because without spaces it is awful, but just to clarify: are you using matrices in the mathematical definition or some other weird definition?

If mathematical, and you have matrices with many "empty" entries and are worried about brute-forcing stuff because it is computationally inefficient, you could look into using a version of whatever operation you're doing on the matrices that is valid for sparse matrices. Any language that has functionality for manipulating matrices will most likely have something like a "sparse" command. Good for operations on matrices with much empty space that are still computationally complex.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Wow that's a tower of text on my phone. I'll look more into it when I'm home so it's readable.

Thanks again.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    I barely skimmed that because without spaces it is awful, but just to clarify: are you using matrices in the mathematical definition or some other weird definition?

If mathematical, and you have matrices with many "empty" entries and are worried about brute-forcing stuff because it is computationally inefficient, you could look into using a version of whatever operation you're doing on the matrices that is valid for sparse matrices. Any language that has functionality for manipulating matrices will most likely have something like a "sparse" command. Good for operations on matrices with much empty space that are still computationally complex.
    yeah I'll try and edit it. I had so many problems with that post

and I didn't know that about matrices; that's something for me to look into. thanks!

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

a few more things:

I forgot to mention; when you alter the backgroundTiles (for example, opening a door) you may need to alter the gameBoard as well. displaying a floor tile but leaving the entry in gameBoard as a door would make a floor tile that behaves like a door, for example (no bueno).

also, as per Sath, operations that can read through an entire matrix while ignoring any empty spaces are worth looking into. in that case, you could have a simple matrix for your foreground images instead of tracking them separately in a dictionary with coordinates attached. that's something I need to look into myself so I can't advise as to how it works, but it would be a lot simpler and more intuitive.

also I'm an aspiring/beginning coder myself so literally everything here should be taken with that particular grain of salt

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    a few more things:

I forgot to mention; when you alter the backgroundTiles (for example, opening a door) you may need to alter the gameBoard as well. displaying a floor tile but leaving the entry in gameBoard as a door would make a floor tile that behaves like a door, for example (no bueno).

also, as per Sath, operations that can read through an entire matrix while ignoring any empty spaces are worth looking into. in that case, you could have a simple matrix for your foreground images instead of tracking them separately in a dictionary with coordinates attached. that's something I need to look into myself so I can't advise as to how it works, but it would be a lot simpler and more intuitive.

also I'm an aspiring/beginning coder myself so literally everything here should be taken with that particular grain of salt
    When storing and manipulating sparse matrices on a computer, it is beneficial and often necessary to use specialized algorithms and data structures that take advantage of the sparse structure of the matrix. Operations using standard dense-matrix structures and algorithms are slow and inefficient when applied to large sparse matrices as processing and memory are wasted on the zeroes. Sparse data is by nature more easily compressed and thus require significantly less storage. Some very large sparse matrices are infeasible to manipulate using standard dense-matrix algorithms.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_matrix

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

yeah, now that I think about it, a) I'm sure SparseMatrix exists as a class in whatever language you're using and if not, b) it would be so easy to design one yourself. shit I just googled "sparse matrix java" and results came popping right up.

so for displaying your foreground objects, I would use a sparse matrix, absolutely. I'll edit the post later.

thanks Sath!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

No problem. Any matrix questions you have just post them here in not-wall-o-text form and I'll see what I can do.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I work for Microsoft working on Xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarage View Post
    I work for Microsoft working on Xbox.
    I'm a PFE :D

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

literally spent all day reworking my roguelike prototype because I came up with a better way to handle the constructor of the dungeon. nbd, I expect things like this to happen - part of the learning process

nevertheless, I'm terrified to go home and actually test it >_> it'll work... right?

oh and that's with a straight-up square one-room dungeon. I've barely touched procedural generation. but what I have done will transfer over once I get there, so w/e

I can't wait until this is done and I can create massive dungeons with unparalleled gameplay depth at the touch of a button. that's the idea, anyway...

I'm about to not get a job because HackerRank is the dumbest thing ever and companies don't understand how engineering works lulz.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

that post requires more explanation because it sounds both awful and juicy

As part of an application process, I was told that I was going to be given a HackerRank test to assess my technical skill.

Once I logged in, I was told I had one question, 45 minutes, in python.

After figuring out how the website works, looking up Python 2 (since I'm more familiar with Python 3), and figuring out the code snippet they gave me, I got the problem halfway done before I ran out of time and it cut me out with a half-submission.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    As part of an application process, I was told that I was going to be given a HackerRank test to assess my technical skill.

Once I logged in, I was told I had one question, 45 minutes, in python.

After figuring out how the website works, looking up Python 2 (since I'm more familiar with Python 3), and figuring out the code snippet they gave me, I got the problem halfway done before I ran out of time and it cut me out with a half-submission.
    To be fair, this is kinda on you. If you were trained as engineer you should know to make the use of your time and do things for partial credit. A half written code if far worse than a fully written, and correct, code that is written in a newer version of the language you are being asked to write it in. Looks a lot better that you can actually code the required task because the version differences are minutia that don't matter. Now it just looks like you don't know wtf you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    To be fair, this is kinda on you. If you were trained as engineer you should know to make the use of your time and do things for partial credit. A half written code if far worse than a fully written, and correct, code that is written in a newer version of the language you are being asked to write it in. Looks a lot better that you can actually code the required task because the version differences are minutia that don't matter. Now it just looks like you don't know wtf you're doing.
    I actually didn't spend very much time looking up wholesale differences between Python 2 and 3. When you've only got 45 minutes, everything adds up.

I understand the need for it (given enough time, an applicant will just ask StackOverflow for an answer), but genuinely could answer the problem if just given enough time. 45 minutes is arbitrary for a designer.

-edit-

And I suppose it IS worth noting that HackerRank is actually standardized testing. There is a correct answer, and if you don't output the given result, it is marked at wrong. I don't think it would be an issue from Python 2 to 3, but I couldn't have just written it in lua, which is the language I've last used.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    I actually didn't spend very much time looking up wholesale differences between Python 2 and 3. When you've only got 45 minutes, everything adds up.

I understand the need for it (given enough time, an applicant will just ask StackOverflow for an answer), but genuinely could answer the problem if just given enough time. 45 minutes is arbitrary for a designer.

-edit-

And I suppose it IS worth noting that HackerRank is actually standardized testing. There is a correct answer, and if you don't output the given result, it is marked at wrong. I don't think it would be an issue from Python 2 to 3, but I couldn't have just written it in lua, which is the language I've last used.
    I don't disagree that it is dumb, especially if standardized. Just saying that BECAUSE you only had 45 minutes, looking up minutia wasn't a good choice to begin with.

That said, I don't know what job you were applying for but if the spread was from lua to python then lolidk. I don't know any non/autists who are functional in more than like 3 languages max at any one time when put on the spot. I certainly am not.

I know both lua and python reasonably well and couldn't code in either of them off the top of my head.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

One of my first projects came out of curiosity for coding and I spend about a few weeks learning java. I wanted to make a clone of one of my favorite Macintosh games from back in the day called Diamonds which was a breakout/arkanoid type game except you could only break specific colored bricks based on the color of the ball, and you had the ability to toggle the ball color by touching specific bricks. I looked into a tutorial for creating a scrolling mario based game and got the basics down and was able to create the game from scratch

I only coded about 10 levels and have yet to go back to properly finish the game.

My current project is coding C++ and lua for my FFXI private server which currently has about 10 players. The main code itself is from a github clone of a popular private server community. While I didn't code the server from the ground up, I have made my own changes and additions to the core C++ code which allowed me to learn as I went along.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I had a copy of that game you mentioned in my Windows 98 days. Was fun.

I need to get into Unity development soon or find a good guide on graphics for C#.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

nice game, keep it up!

I use libgdx for graphics but I think Unity is a lot easier. libgdx doesn't have a GUI at all; it's just you and the code. although there are probably GUIs out there by now, at least for some of the features

learning Clojure for my current class. I either love it or hate it... not sure which. functional languages are weird as fuck.