+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_cipher

that's what I would do! I love me some hill ciphers.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Thanks. I'll try to do some research on this and see what I can do to scramble the SSN fields.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Thanks. I'll try to do some research on this and see what I can do to scramble the SSN fields.
    I'm sure you could work some magic in order to obfuscate a SSN but why even bother? Why not just create a random number and plop that in as the SSN? It would be much safer, especially since you would reduce fallout if there should be some bug that would allow someone to reverse engineer the original SSN. It's your test environment and so unless you're doing validation on the SSN this should be fine (and if you are doing validation I'm sure there are fake SSN libraries out there).

Tl;dr: when bringing production data in to a pre-prod environment, it's safer to ditch the original sensitive data entirely rather than obfuscating it

Yeah, Agree with Cayos. There's no benefit to keeping any trace of the original data, just make a quick function that generates random fake SSNs and fill in all the entries with that. It's the best for everyone involved.

BG Level

Got it. I'll go with my original idea of adding a random number to an array and work from that.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Got it. I'll go with my original idea of adding a random number to an array and work from that.
    I don't know what language you're using but there are easier ways to create a random number messing with arrays. You might consider something like the following in whatever language you're using.

Java:
    Code:
    Random rand = new Random();
    int randomFakeSSN = rand.nextInt(9);
    I'm sure there are a ton of libraries out there that you can use to create these as well.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cayos View Post
    I don't know what language you're using but there are easier ways to create a random number messing with arrays. You might consider something like the following in whatever language you're using.

Java:
    Code:
    Random rand = new Random();
    int randomFakeSSN = rand.nextInt(9);
    I'm sure there are a ton of libraries out there that you can use to create these as well.
    C#, but that's pretty accurate to what I was planning.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

signed up for Intro to Operating Systems next semester

dear Jesus please see me through this

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    signed up for Intro to Operating Systems next semester

dear Jesus please see me through this
    Thats traditionally been the hardest class in most curriculum I've seen. It's a hard topic because it's both broad and deep, and you have to learn a lot of new concepts just to have a working knowledge of the bare minimum.

Good luck!

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

thanks! I hear that from a lot of people actually. I'm taking it alongside one other class, Program Design and Development (which is writing intensive)... shouldn't be too bad, right?

oh, did I mention I'm working full-time as well?

yeah, I might drop one. we will see better to register for both and drop than not get the slot you want. I'll probably keep Operating Systems if I go that route because it's something I really do need/want to learn ASAP.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

just got introduced to OCaml

two thoughts:

1) THIS IS FUCKING AWFUL

2) OMG I LOVE THIS

it's beautiful... and yet it's disgustingly archaic and horrifying. it's both, really.

I wouldn't call it archaic, OCaML is just a distinct syntax family; it's like lisp, still used in modern systems but its roots are not tied to algol(C/java/C# etc), which is where that family of programming languages get their syntactic roots. Algol, Lisp, Prolog, and ML are the common syntax family trees you see modern languages pick from.

ML influenced the syntax of other modern languages like F#, Haskell(lightly), and obviously OCaML.

It's a good idea to learn at least one language from each tree because then you can basically read *all* code, since 99% of it derives from one of those roots.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

to be fair, to beginning coders - like myself - anything that isn't object-oriented and written in nearly plain English is archaic

but yeah, I see what you mean

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

So it's not actual coding, but anyone have good resources to learn the Ruby Language?

Boss wants me to use puppet at work, but I need to learn Ruby first and it's all fucking chineese for me

BG Level

https://www.codecademy.com has a decent tutorial to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    So it's not actual coding, but anyone have good resources to learn the Ruby Language?

Boss wants me to use puppet at work, but I need to learn Ruby first and it's all fucking chineese for me
    Not sure why you wouldn't think that's actual coding. But yeah what Corrderio linked is a decent resource.

To use puppet well you only really need to know the absolute basics of Ruby. I learned it well enough in a day to never have it be a barrier in puppet configs past that. So hopefully you find fairly simple to hit the ground running.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

in my courses, I find that I discover some elements of computer science I absolutely love, some I can tolerate, and some I absolutely loathe. the nice thing about this process is that most elements in the lattermost category I will never have to deal with again unless I choose to do so, depending on career path.

macros. MACROS. FUCKING MACROS. are one of those. the day I never have to write a goddamn macro again will be a very happy day.

fucking hell, do I ever hate macros.

BG Level

Here's a bit of a tall order,

Before I joined where I work, they phased out ASP.NET's WebForms for ASP.NET MVC. While I have some basic knowledge on it, I'm in no way good with it and trying to find some good beginner/intermediate guides has been a nightmare. I was wondering if anyone has some good resources on how to learn how MVC apps tick.

Oh and Javascript would be a nice plus too.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

so I've always thought I should learn how to use github

lo and behold, the first assignment in my current class: "read this book on version control and how to use github"

yusssss

BG Level

Ah I love me some source control.

Also I think I shot myself in the foot at work last week saying I was going to study up on MVC/Javascript. That shit together is a nightmare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4