• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Want to buy a new PC, I have a few questions.

I already know I want a great video card and intel processor.

I will want to do SSD too.

Where can I buy a rig with a water cooling system, and all of the above?

Also, anywhere that I can get windows 7 still, or should I just go Windows 10?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I'm assuming you are wanting a prebuilt system, or are you wanting to get your hands dirty and build your own?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

I want a prebuilt, but I will get my hands dirty if it's worth it to do it.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

If you are fine with paying the premium, I would suggest ibuypower. Very flexible retailer where you can have total control over what you have in your build but you're going to be paying very high when you go out of their base parameters.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Thanks for recommending that site. I was looking at the 32 gig RAM options and want to know what the difference is between the 3 choices where it says DDR4-2800 Memory Module where there's options for 3200 and 2400 as well.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The higher the number, the *insert techno-bable here* better the RAM is in general. It matters, but unless you're building a truly top tier system, it's not something to break the bank over.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You'll probably not find or make a better deal than this: http://slickdeals.net/f/8973935-cybe...?src=catpagev2 SSF case with i7 6700, nvidia gtx1080, win10, etc, around $1400. Super compact so probably tight on airflow and overclocking, but has stupidly strong parts.

Couple others to look at: http://slickdeals.net/f/8973067-ibuy...?src=catpagev2
    http://slickdeals.net/f/8971895-cybe...?src=catpagev2

Read the comments on those posts. No seriously, read.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

If I buy from ibuypower.com will it come prebuilt?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

yes, i bought from them once before. I had no issues outside of my fans failing after about 2-3 years. My friend just recently bought one but had RMA issues with their extended warranty, left a bad taste in her mouth, but overall they are pretty decent.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    You'll probably not find or make a better deal than this: http://slickdeals.net/f/8973935-cybe...?src=catpagev2 SSF case with i7 6700, nvidia gtx1080, win10, etc, around $1400. Super compact so probably tight on airflow and overclocking, but has stupidly strong parts.
    For a prebuilt that's a great price.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Holy shit at that deal/link, it even has a 480gb SSD.

The dickheads here in the UK won't even give you 256 unless you overpay.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I don't really know that case manufacturer, and don't have that much experience with SFF outside of office computers, but in a SFF, I get a bit of an instinctive "hmm, that's a lot of powerful hardware crammed into a tiny space". It might get very hot, or very loud or both?

I dont' really know the US market, but at least in Norway, unless you get a campaign deal, you shave a lot of shineys off the price if you build it yourself, and except for the part where you put in the CPU on the MB and add the cooler on top, getting anything wrong with the physical building process actually takes some doing.
    (Make sure your CPU, MB and Memory are compatible, and make sure you put the GPU in the x16 slot!) and 600W isn't _that_ powerful, it should suffice, but.

If you choose a different form factor (ATX/E-ATX) You can also get a slightly smaller SSD for OS drive, and a big traditional HDD for storage of stuff. (Or for that matter a SSD OS disk and a RAID 1 array if you have stuff you're afraid to lose to a dead drive. Most better MBs come with RAID support.
    a normal form factor will also be much easier to upgrade down the road.

And grab Windows 10, no practical point in getting Win7 unless you know you'll have software compatability issues.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

SFF can be packed with hardware and still be cool/quiet, depending on the case and fans used. I had a slightly overclocked i7 4770k build in an NCase M5, with a Noctua L12 CPU cooler and Vantec Stealth 120mm fans and it was pretty quiet. I've since replaced the Stealth fans with some of those new Corsair ML120's just to try them out and while they are awesome fans, they're louder than the Stealths by a good margin.

Also, 600w is fine for any build with a single 1080.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    I don't really know that case manufacturer, and don't have that much experience with SFF outside of office computers, but in a SFF, I get a bit of an instinctive "hmm, that's a lot of powerful hardware crammed into a tiny space". It might get very hot, or very loud or both?

I dont' really know the US market, but at least in Norway, unless you get a campaign deal, you shave a lot of shineys off the price if you build it yourself, and except for the part where you put in the CPU on the MB and add the cooler on top, getting anything wrong with the physical building process actually takes some doing.
    (Make sure your CPU, MB and Memory are compatible, and make sure you put the GPU in the x16 slot!) and 600W isn't _that_ powerful, it should suffice, but.

If you choose a different form factor (ATX/E-ATX) You can also get a slightly smaller SSD for OS drive, and a big traditional HDD for storage of stuff. (Or for that matter a SSD OS disk and a RAID 1 array if you have stuff you're afraid to lose to a dead drive. Most better MBs come with RAID support.
    a normal form factor will also be much easier to upgrade down the road.

And grab Windows 10, no practical point in getting Win7 unless you know you'll have software compatability issues.
    Honestly I was shocked when I saw that deal available, it's a particularly ridiculous deal consider it's cheaper than the parts inside it, prebuilt with proper cable management, tested, and no mail-in rebates and crap to wait on. Makes me a bit jealous seeing it now. American pricing on computer parts tends to be far cheaper than anywhere else in the world, and that deal is about the cheapest you can get without making a lot of sacrifices in part quality, in the parts themselves, pirating windows, salvaging select older hardware for a previous build, and putting it together yourself.

About the only small issue I saw was that it doesn't use a closed loop cooler for the cpu, but the included option for a zalman CNPS8900 is fairly solid as it performs great for its size. Baring part failure, this thing will probably last quite a long time since the gtx1080 is such a damn strong vid card so I doubt you'd be opening it up the next couple years for anything other than dusting it out.

I will recommend CyberpowerPC Syber Vapor Xtreme i7-6700, 16GB DDR4 2800, GTX 1080, 480GB SSD, 600W PSU