+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Constant Hiccups (24 hrs) indoors, goes away outdoors, returns indoors.

As title says. I've been having hiccups nonstop for 24 hrs now (started around a time I was pretty stressed up). When I went to an appointment this morning it stopped completely the moment I was in the car and didn't affect me until literally seconds of returning home. I couldn't find much information online about this kind of situation that I have and was wondering if anyone knew of something (before choosing to go to the doctor, in which I am sure I will immediately stop hiccuping since I am not in the house again).

I do have allergies that only really associate with sneezing, but I take medicine for it daily all year. Never once had it before associated with allergies and my sneezing symptoms aren't happening with it.

Edit: Tried usual remedies involving different ways of drinking water, valsalva maneuver, holding my breath, breathing into a bag, startling myself with jump scares.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Lets see:
    * If you have good olive oil that makes the back of your throat burn, try eating a teaspoon of it.
    * Peanut butter on the top of your mouth
    * Go to sleep?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Any new scented candles/perfume/detergent?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Maybe it's a brain tumor

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

BOO!

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Any recent changes in your social life?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

it's cancer. nice knowing you.

perhaps its the position you're in? for instance, at home im almost always reclining back in my office chair with my feet on the bed, lying on my bed, or standing and walking on occasion. when going out to an appointment or something else, however, i'm sitting upright in the car/office chair, or standing and walking.

I know different positions can affect hiccups sometimes, making it worse or better. Barring that, indoors suggests either some kind of home pollutant affecting you, which i've never heard of causing hiccups myself... or perhaps a lack of something indoors that you get outside. exercise? sunshine/vitamin D? a warmer temperature? Or is it somehow miraculously cold outside where you live at summer?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

try hitting it with a bottle of water

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

try drinking upsidedown

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

You take the largest spoonful of peanut butter possible on a tablespoon (should actually be something like 3-4 tablespoons worth) and shove that goodness right into your mouth. Attempt to swallow it. I have never had this method fail. On anyone. Ever. Complete hiccup killer. Something like 500 calories of fast effective relief.

Also use crunchy, it's just better.

swallow chunky peanut butter...without chewing it first? o.O that sounds like a recipe for choking to death, which i guess stops the hiccups.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by theshun View Post
    Any new scented candles/perfume/detergent?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Any recent changes in your social life?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    perhaps its the position you're in? for instance, at home im almost always reclining back in my office chair with my feet on the bed, lying on my bed, or standing and walking on occasion. when going out to an appointment or something else, however, i'm sitting upright in the car/office chair, or standing and walking.

I know different positions can affect hiccups sometimes, making it worse or better. Barring that, indoors suggests either some kind of home pollutant affecting you, which i've never heard of causing hiccups myself... or perhaps a lack of something indoors that you get outside. exercise? sunshine/vitamin D? a warmer temperature? Or is it somehow miraculously cold outside where you live at summer?
    Nothing unusual has changed from the norm. While I am indoors a bit more often, I do take some vit-D. Temperature outside much hotter but indoors in our smaller house is pretty cool and comfortable. I had wondered if it was dust related.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    You take the largest spoonful of peanut butter possible on a tablespoon (should actually be something like 3-4 tablespoons worth) and shove that goodness right into your mouth. Attempt to swallow it. I have never had this method fail. On anyone. Ever. Complete hiccup killer. Something like 500 calories of fast effective relief.

Also use crunchy, it's just better.
    I had some peanut butter, but not the amount mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Lets see:
    * If you have good olive oil that makes the back of your throat burn, try eating a teaspoon of it.
    * Peanut butter on the top of your mouth
    * Go to sleep?
    Had no olive oil handy, tried the peanut butter to no success. I had slept the night before fine somehow even though I was hiccuping the while lying down. I took a nap after coming home from the meeting when the hiccups reemerged (was completely knocked out from exhaustion). It has since then not really returned, though there were moments it felt like it would come (which is odd because normally it just comes out of nowhere) and had a few of them come and go. As of this post though nothing within some hours.

I wonder if it is stress related. I am fairly stressed in general, and a lot on my plate for August. The stress is more associated with before the actual event, but during the event I am fine (includes social events I enjoy). An example being the meeting I had today I was stressed for even though it was nothing to be stressed about at all and I knew I'd be fine which I was the moment I was there. Hoping it doesn't come back but I'll have to see in the morning as my chest hurts and was exhausted. Thanks for the advice.

chest hurting is normal, you basically just spent an entire day doing the hiccup version of an intense workout when your normal exercise routine is couch potato. had the same feeling when i had hiccups for an hour, didn't come back.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Hiccups are spasms of the diaphragm, maybe there is something wrong with yours. Could a hernia cause this?

The only remedy that has ever worked for me without fail was sucking on a teaspoon of honey. Pretty much the same as the peanutbutter, but fewer calories and less likely to choke you to death :D

You might feel slightly less bad if you see the world record holder for longest time living with hiccups.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

No recent changes, just a lot of anxiety. And stuff.

Try forcing a burp. That's always worked for me.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    It has since then not really returned, though there were moments it felt like it would come (which is odd because normally it just comes out of nowhere) and had a few of them come and go. As of this post though nothing within some hours.
    Good deal. Glad to hear you got over it.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Are you the Girl that Bane had sex with?

If that's the case, well sorry

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    No recent changes, just a lot of anxiety. And stuff.

Try forcing a burp. That's always worked for me.
    I had a little bit of burps here and there during it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Hiccups are spasms of the diaphragm, maybe there is something wrong with yours. Could a hernia cause this?

The only remedy that has ever worked for me without fail was sucking on a teaspoon of honey. Pretty much the same as the peanutbutter, but fewer calories and less likely to choke you to death :D

You might feel slightly less bad if you see the world record holder for longest time living with hiccups.
    I didn't do anything that could've led to it, but it would've been a reason to go to the doctor to check if it continued.
    Haha yeah, I saw that record when I was looking up for possible reasoning why it was only happening indoors but not outdoors that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    chest hurting is normal, you basically just spent an entire day doing the hiccup version of an intense workout when your normal exercise routine is couch potato. had the same feeling when i had hiccups for an hour, didn't come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Good deal. Glad to hear you got over it.
    Thanks, was quite the ordeal. Yeah, my chest and throat hurt a little still. Nothing happened today still so here is to hoping it continues that way especially as the more stressful stuff in mid-August comes.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

At least I'm not French Canadian.