BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Not when they don't know what the word "alignment" means. But I can tell I won't convince you.
    I understand what you're getting at, these kids know nothing. But you're circling back to an argument I've already made - if you teach them how to fix the alignment in Word, but not in xyz editor and then they break down, that's not too helpful. Whereas teaching them how to make use of the most powerful tool at their disposal first and foremost and writing "change the fon't and don't use center alignment, search google for acceptable formats for papers like this" becomes A) a follow-up exercise at little to no cost to you B) a learning experience for them C) a step towards actual functional and productive independence.

People learning how to use Excel and then being fucking useless when the company switches over to new software IS a real problem and DOES result in people being laid off.

You're stuck on the fact that they are blank slates with no experience and no computers and therefore need to be hand-held the entire way like children. What you're missing is that precisely because they are blank slates with no inherent bias or preference, this is the best time to teach them to find answers to technological problems on their own.

Edit: Hell an exercise just in "google for different types of format you would use in a paper, print them out, and highlight which sources you think would be acceptable and helpful and give a short justification as to why" is a better teaching mechanism than "never use center alignment" because sometimes you use center alignment, even in English.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Also, this isn't a cut and dry plan either. This is going to evolve when she sees what works and what doesn't. I agree, the first step is just getting shit in their hands. Teach them basics, whatever it is, and then show other ways to do the same thing, essentially showing the core steps are the same, but how programs differ (or don't differ). MLA is 90% of generic university research papers. APA/AMA is science and depends on the field (psychological/medical). Chicago is publishing. In all my studies/papers, if MLA wasn't the directed format, most teachers told us the format of our choosing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by theshun View Post
    Also, this isn't a cut and dry plan either. This is going to evolve when she sees what works and what doesn't. I agree, the first step is just getting shit in their hands. Teach them basics, whatever it is, and then show other ways to do the same thing, essentially showing the core steps are the same, but how programs differ (or don't differ). MLA is 90% of generic university research papers. APA/AMA is science and depends on the field (psychological/medical). Chicago is publishing. In all my studies/papers, if MLA wasn't the directed format, most teachers told us the format of our choosing.
    Of course. I'm just doing what I always do and providing a needlessly aggressive and condescending counter because I'm bored at work and think that my badgering might genuinely be useful at some level.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by theshun View Post
    Thank you.

Again, I am not a computer teacher. I am trying to supplement where I feel there is a void, and this would be my first year doing so. If they pick it up quickly, I can definitely add in teaching how to find information in google, which I definitely think they should learn. But my time is limited.

I would LOVE to teach them that. But I may not have the time. I can only hope I can teach them enough so future teachers can teach the rest.

What I can say is whether we think X way is better, I can guarantee these students are going to be more prepared for college and the real world if I have a computer set. It will evolve, and I will get better at it as I see what works and doesn't work, but I do not doubt that what works better is having these computers for more lessons than I would without them.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thank you.

Again, I am not a computer teacher. I am trying to supplement where I feel there is a void, and this would be my first year doing so. If they pick it up quickly, I can definitely add in teaching how to find information in google, which I definitely think they should learn. But my time is limited.

I would LOVE to teach them that. But I may not have the time. I can only hope I can teach them enough so future teachers can teach the rest.
    For what it's worth, most of my suggestions don't require a computer teacher, they require someone to teach the kids the value of critical thinking and problem solving. Even an English teacher should be up to that task if they care as much as you do. Find a way to make them teach themselves is like 90% of what I'm saying.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Also I'll toss some money once I get paid on Monday

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    For what it's worth, most of my suggestions don't require a computer teacher, they require someone to teach the kids the value of critical thinking and problem solving. Even an English teacher should be up to that task if they care as much as you do. Find a way to make them teach themselves is like 90% of what I'm saying.

Many of my lessons are just that. Especially in regards to writing. The problem is it's my first year I'd do this, so I want to play it safe to see what I can and can't do, what works and doesn't work.

I can say I could definitely do more scavenger-hunt style teaching with these computers. I can do zero of that if I have to take kids to the computer lab. Last year I could only go to the computer lab about two times every other month, and it was usually to get them practicing typing a paper in which most didn't finish in time because they're learning.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Also I'll toss some money once I get paid on Monday
    Thank you!

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Well, part of what I am teaching them technically there IS only one way for English. (MLA, I do tell them they need to ask teachers MLA or APA in other subject areas.)

I 100% agree. And my vision for this school is to slowly work this into a unified plan for all grade levels.

If you think of your field, you don't jump into probability and statistics before someone learns 2+2=4. 9th grade has to start with the foundation because they have zero prior knowledge. As I said, these kids don't have comptuers at home, and had limited experience with computers at elementary school. I'm starting with almost blank slates.

My goal is to teach them how to format using a system, that way in 10th, 11th, and 12th grade teachers can just focus on how to research to put it into that format.

There is nothing more frustrating to a 12th grade teacher to have their kids research and create a good paper only to have it handed in with the whole thing in center aligned and in comic sans 14p font. (Yes, that happens a lot.) I am trying to correct that.
    That bolded part should be an automatic fail just on principal.

Also, as an IT person, I would highly recommend once they are used to one, to start to expand and use the other as well. I got people still using Office 2010 as standard, with some new employee's we are taking over support from another agency who freaked out when we upgraded them from 2007 to 2010. Please don't turn your students into my future headache.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Threw some money into the pot. Good luck.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Threw some money into the pot. Good luck.
    Thank you!