Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    I watch a lot of current running anime so I find myself watching subs the vast majority of the time. I have no desire to wait 6-24 months to watch a show.

By the time the dub comes out in English, the show is already old news and I've moved on to the next
    This sums it up perfectly for me. I generally watch stuff with the first few weeks of it airing. However there are some times when I wish it was dubbed so I can watch it without needing to watch the screen 24/7

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Usually subs because that's generally what is out first. There are some that I prefer the dub though simply because it adds to the show (Golden Boy is goddamn fucking amazing as a dub). I prefer the original dub of Akira over the redub and the subbed version though I wonder if it's just because the original dub is what I saw first.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Also occasionally some dubs change things that make it better. I'm looking at you Ghost Stories

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Also occasionally some dubs change things that make it better. I'm looking at you Ghost Stories

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

LMFAO

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I started with dubs mainly because I just wasn't really aware of anime as a kid. DBZ, Gundam Wing both in Eng dub were pretty solid. And then I started watching Eureka Seven in Eng dub and slowly learned about the world of anime and I've been subs ever since. My situation is the same as CS's. I watch shows more or less as they air now, having caught up on all the classics and "much watch" animes. So waiting for a dub is kinda pointless.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Some time ago I watched a panel on ghost stories and they were told they could do literally anything except 1) change the character names and 2) change how the spirits were exorcized (since these are based on japanese myths, etc). I wonder if it ever got subbed and released in Japan again, but probably not since a lot of the jokes are US culture based.

Anyway, I watch subs because I'm impatient and download stuff as soon as it comes out.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

For me it depends on the situation. If I am watching current Anime then I watch subs. For older anime or anime that has been dubbed, I'll choose the dubbed version if I need to do other things or do not need to be fully immersed in the show. There are times though where an anime has awesome localized VA's and I prefer to watch it over the subbed version such as Full Metal Alchemist (first version and brotherhood).

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

FYI: checked out the first two episodes of Saiki-K's dub. It's actually pretty well done and doesn't have that rushed/sped-up tone that the dub does, and the best part is the comedy is still conveyed well. I was a lil worried about that.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Dubs. I can't stand JP voice actors. High pitched, incredibly whiney at times. That and the mannerisms get really annoying. Example: Erased. Group of the kids start to leave and they keep shouting STUKKI or whatever, over and over again. Shut the /fuck/ up, holy shit. When things get real serious, te weird grunty noises are very annoying to listen to as well. I think it's just a culture thing, but it's something that really grinds my gears.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I've always preferred subs. Not so much for the translation quality but because I enjoy the sound of the Japanese language. Probably has to do a lot with when I started watching originally, all dubs were pretty much guaranteed to have terribad actors and it destroyed any immersion possible with a film. This being said, there are a few shows- movie even, that I prefer the dub to over subs (vocally speaking). One of my treasured collections is the entire Lupin TV series, seasons 1-3, that my brother got me years ago. This shit is HK translation, so its basically reading broken English but all the humor and hi-jinks of the series still shines through.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

i grew up watching dubs anything on toonami or adult swim. Pretty sure my first show that was pure subs was naruto (dont judge). I remember renting Trigun vhs (was dubbed) once because i thought the box art looked cool when i was like 14. That pretty much instantly broaden my view on anime. That there was much more out there and that if i wanted to watch more i would have to deal with subs.

Shows that i must watch the dub of
    FMA either version
    DBZ
    Shin chan
    School rumble

everything else i can watch subbed no problems. But i grew to love those voices

TO BE A MAN YOU MUST HAVE HONOR, HONOR AND A PEEEEEENISSSSSS

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Dubs: FMA
    Dragonball
    Cowboy Bebop
    G Gundam / Gundam Wing
    Ghost in the Shell
    Sailor Moon (original)
    Pokémon
    Ronin Warriors
    Akira

Everything else: Subbed

My anime palette isn't huge. I just remember so much cringe there was trying to watch Kill La Kill, Gurren Lagan, and Attack on Titan dubbed. AoT in particular. Eren sounded horrible, and his Titan scream sounds like a parasitic alien.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I don't understand why they changed dub Titan scream either.

I do both with little to no reservations, however I do draw the line a bit if the dub uses JP honorifics which I find unnecessary in an English context. Even worst in RL people telling me about a specific JP person and they would call the person "Mr Smith-san".

I also watch the Cantonese version if available because I speak both English and Cantonese but my cantonese can always use improvement as it's not primairly spoken except to my parents, so I like to watch (or listen to) the cantonese version to pick up a few words and such that I may not always use.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Hng can´t watch these from Germany but I´m a huge Escaflowne fan. Need to find out more about this.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Virg View Post
    Hng can´t watch these from Germany but I´m a huge Escaflowne fan. Need to find out more about this.
    Earlier in the year they had a kickstarter to re-release it along w/ a new dub on BD and DVD with original HD uncut content. The original bandai dub is there too.

The series is beloved worldwide, but there has never been a complete English dub for fans. The uncut HD Japanese version of the show includes scenes that have never been seen in North America, meaning that English speakers have never experienced the show fully in dubbed format. Also, despite the fantastic visuals, the series has not been released in its HD glory on Blu-ray here either. Across forums, social media, conventions, and more, fans like you have voiced endless requests for a new full-series dub that gives this series the treatment it deserves. Team up with us to make this a reality!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Oh damn that´s awesome will definately re-watch thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Subs or I dont watch it.
    long since gave up on dubs, surprised to hear anything otherwise

For what I do watch, subs. I'm not waiting either.