Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Dub vs Subs? which do you watch

I've only been watching subs myself, and randomly saw dubs for a sec when looking for a "random video" but I noticed this little video showing off the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-u1rVFoYU

guess I can add to my "why I watch subs over dubs" list

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Dubs for background noise, Subs for when I'm engrossed in a series.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Not american but I still absolutely love the dubs we had here from the 80 through early 2000's, they basically stopped bringing stuff mid 2000's and the dubs started to be kind of meh/bad.

I'm always kind of surprised how anime didn't really reach the USA till late 90's - early 2000's, we had dozens upon dozens of anime series/OVA here since the 70's, too bad that´s not the case anymore.

I´ve been watching subs since 2003, I started with GITS, and has stayed that way with the exception of some movies that still have top tier dubbing.

I can watch either, but at this point I'm more familiar with the dub voice actors.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I watch a lot of current running anime so I find myself watching subs the vast majority of the time. I have no desire to wait 6-24 months to watch a show.

By the time the dub comes out in English, the show is already old news and I've moved on to the next

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I will usually watch stuff as it comes out so Subtitles most of the time. I have no issues with most modern dubs. Right now I am rewatching the OPM dub early Sundays. I also watch Cowboy Bebop dubbed when I watch it again each time. It was how I watched it first so its how I like it.

As far as the delay to get stuff dubbed.. as bad as their app is Funimation is very good at dubbing stuff very fast. Typically their dubs are about 4 weeks behind their subs it seems.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Only dubs I ever watched and liked was Robotech, Macross Plus and Ronin Warriors. Maybe Sailor Moon

Absolutely hated the Dragonball dubs

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Both, but prefer dubs because their better on my ears. I don't know Japanese but I'm sure there are a lot of shitty VAs over there too. Easier to tell in english although dubs in recent years have been far better than a decade ago.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Also depends on the localization team.

If they're going for direct translation? I prefer subs

If they're changing elements of the story? I prefer subs.

If they're keeping the meaning the same, but saying it in a way that sounds cooler/funnier to me? Dub

For example, in Yu Yu Hakusho, when Kuwabara got kidnapped, they said something along the lines of "You speak pretty big for someone who was so easy to catch"

In English, we got "You talk big for someone who was a hard to catch as a case of the clap"

To me that's A+ Localization/dubbing. If you're just going to repeat the exact same stuff, word for word, then I'd rather just watch the subs.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Most of the translation changes come from the character flaps. If their mouth moves longer than the intended dialogue then they will add to match the mouth movement.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Generally dubs but yeah it really depends on the VAs and how well the localization team did.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Subs or I dont watch it.

Both, though dubs wind up more a case of what gets on AS or Netflix. Shit's still too expensive here to really buy regularly. Which is kind of a shame since I do wish the US would take animation more seriously outside of the usual Pixar stuff.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sub only; way earlier access to most shows (vs. waiting for dub) is the biggest benefit. Just used to it at this point and I find the english VA are generally subpar.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I watch dubs rarely - usually a show has to be really good or the dub cast has to be really good for me to get into it.

One Piece is one of the best examples of this. The dub bothers me a lot (some of the voices don't fit right, esp. Sanji) but the show is so good that I don't mind it anymore.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Almost always subs. The only shows I watch dub are ones that I got exposed to dubbed first and got used to, so mostly older shows like bebop, trigun, DBZ. Thankfully all of those have good english VAs, especially DBZ. If I'd had to listen to Goku's JP VA there's no way I would've kept watching.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Subs only. Most dubs I've seen make me cringe and the emotion in their voices never really gets captured the way in does in JP

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Dubs only if I can, subs make me cringe alot with the jp voices, but I will watch Subs if there is no dub version out atm, i.e. when I was catching up on Naruto or when i'm watching DR3 or Dragon Ball Super.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Not really a matter of preference for me. Really more of a if I find a dub? Cool. If it's only sub, that's fine for me too. Not really the mid-90's to pretend all dub is bad.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Almost always dubs if given the choice. It makes for easier multitasking. The dub would have to be particularly atrocious for me to choose subs over it.

If I'm watching current shows its gotta be subs obviously, but definitely need dubs if I want to marathon something.