• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

PrePaid Cell Service for One Plus Phones

I know some of you BG peeps probably have a One Plus phone because this is where I originally heard about it. I haven't upgraded yet so I still have the One Plus - One. Just moved a couple months ago closer to my city. Been using T-Mobiles sim card and prepaid service which surely wasn't perfect but it worked enough. Now at my new place the entire fucking area is a cell dead zone for like 5 blocks. If I want to get phone calls or texts I have to trek up a fucking hill like some kind of peasant.

Tried changing the APN settings, fiddling with phone options, restoring the phone, and doing all kinds of things nothing changed my service. Tried ATT's GoPay prepay sim card and the same shit. Just a dead zone exactly where I live wtf. Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA sim cards so they are not an option as I understand it. Gave up and just went back to T-mobile to keep my number. T-Mobile service does function fine most places for me... just not where I fucking live.

Oh yeah I contacted T-Mobile and reported the dead zone. They checked a week later and said their engineers thought it was just fine. They do have a device that functions as a mini cell phone tower that plugs into your WiFi router but it is not available to prepaid customers so fuck.

TLDR: If you own a One Plus device what service do you use? Does it work well? Is there some kind of incompatibility issue or something I'm missing? Any suggestions advice? Halp. I kind of wanted to upgrade to the One Plus 3 but why should I if it won't even function as a phone.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've got no experience with One Plus but, T-Mobile has WiFi calling ... shouldn't you be able to make calls in your own home using your WiFi?

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Might not be available to prepaid customers? Where I live is a gigantic deadzone for all cell carriers so I switched to T mobile a few years ago solely for wifi calling.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Good point.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

In Canada so probably not that useful... I am using a pre-paid UMTS band 4 SIM with my OnePlus 3 though, along with a post-paid GSM and they both work fine.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Would there be any technical differences if I setup a postpaid contract plan with T-Mobile? I just kind of hate the idea of contracts, especially since it isn't even functioning right in the first place.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Looking at Google... T-Mobile in the states uses the same bands as Wind Mobile in Canada. Which is the one I currently have. Just checked and both phone and data works fine on my OnePlus 3. I usually use a second data only SIM in the second slot though.

Don't see why there would be any difference between post/pre paid... as I said earlier, I have one of each sim in my phone right now.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    Would there be any technical differences if I setup a postpaid contract plan with T-Mobile? I just kind of hate the idea of contracts, especially since it isn't even functioning right in the first place.
    T Mobile doesn't use contracts, other then for paying off the cost of a phone bought thru them.

Tmobile's wifi calling works on prepaid, but it still counts for your minutes.