+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

For the life of me I can't find out what this is!

http://imgur.com/FYgxGwx

Looking for a replacement screw for a friends wheelchair and we're both at a loss. Lowe's and Home Depot don't know what the name of it is either. Internet keeps giving me random screws in search results and now I'm asking you guys in hopes someone here may know what it is called.

Edit: Can an admin change the title to, "For the life of me I can't find out what this is!".

Auto correct ninja that “it".

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

That's a bolt not a screw, and odds are it's a specialty bolt as well. Would need the brand/model of the wheelchair in order to be sure you get the correct one.

BG Level

Also would be helpful if you knew where the bolt came from on the wheelchair, just doing a quick search looks like there's a minimum of 3 types(Axel, Stem & Caster)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Aragon of Odin View Post
    That's a bolt not a screw, and odds are it's a specialty bolt as well. Would need the brand/model of the wheelchair in order to be sure you get the correct one.
    We thought the same thing, but had some hope that it could be found in wheelchair stores. Just needed a name so I could call with it instead of driving 30 minutes to the nearest parts store. Not with my friend atm so will have to wait until I see him next for the brand name.

The front small wheels that are just behind the feet. Casters? I think.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

is the off center head actually a requirement? can you use a normal bolt?

BG Level

It looks like those are the casters then yes, so it would be a caster bolt.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Sadly yes, it's in a very awkward spot. Didn't think I would have this much trouble finding a replacement part, friend will be unable to use his wheelchair until it's replaced. It's why I'm taking the initiative to get it done quickly.

Your replies are helping, and I think getting one mailed from the manufacturer is the only solution.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

For specialty bolts, screws, other small parts it is best to look for the oem replacement using the parts diagram for the right make and model (should be on a tag or plate somewhere on the chair). Once you get the part number you can do an internet search to find the best source for it. Hopefully your friend will be able to wait for shipping.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by myreality View Post
    Sadly yes, it's in a very awkward spot. Didn't think I would have this much trouble finding a replacement part, friend will be unable to use his wheelchair until it's replaced. It's why I'm taking the initiative to get it done quickly.

Your replies are helping, and I think getting one mailed from the manufacturer is the only solution.
    Is he missing another bolt or the nut for the one in the picture?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    Is he missing another bolt or the nut for the one in the picture?
    Sorry, had a bit of an emergency and had to run. There are two caster bolts and one is missing, somehow it popped off when being taken to rehabilitation and we are unable to find it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Looks like some kind of eccentric bolt with an offset head. I've only seen similar things when dealing with adjusting caster / camber for vehicles with aftermarket parts. I'd follow with FNH said, try to find an exploded diagram of the wheelchair and find the part number you need and order it from the manufacturer.

You might be able to get by in the meantime with just a regular bolt from a hardware store, but I'm not sure if it will work as intended. A worker should be able to help you find a normal replacement with the correct size and pitch.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Thank you!