She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Trying to help my brother.. (Mrrargh!! Looking for ethernet bridges..)

So okay. My brother has 3 devices downstairs. One of them is a Blue Ray player..

The only problem is he needs ethernet to wireless internet bridges. He is not fond of USB type internet dongles, and besides one of them is a way old 'puter that is the Linux box (read; really slow pokey old USB), and the dvd/blue ray player doesn't have a usb port at all.

A friend sent some bridges that won't program at all (this is making me mad by now, but not at the friend)...Is there any wireless bridges that plug into ethernet that would be usable, darn it? Our router is the standard Uverse router/box/thing if it helps, and it's Wireless N compatible. Oh and if it helps, we do have a Fry's within about 30 minutes to a hour from here, so that IS a option.

I'd rather have something you can program on a Windows 7 or Windows 10 machine, just so you know. ^^

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Does the router not have like 4 wired ports on the back? Those would be linked to same network the wireless is.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Most any wireless router should be able to be setup as an "access point." This sets up the router to completely rely on another router for all normal duties, allowing you to wire via ethernet cable and rebroadcast the network. I do this myself by just stringing a 100ft cable in the attic between two routers, where the main router is plugged into a cable modem and the other is on the far side of the house for everything on that side. You don't do anything to the main router, only setting up the extra router differently.

This link should help in more general terms: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/h...ess-point-2556
    This link gives a nice picture of how it should be wired as well as some default linksys instructions: http://www.linksys.com/us/support-ar...icleNum=143751

A wireless bridge is a bit different, having the extra router log into the network instead of simply plugging into it via ethernet. This link ( http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...reless-bridge/ ) gives instructions using dd-wrt firmware, but if the extra router's default firmware has the capability, it should be a pretty similar setup.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

What he needs is something like this, but more modern: What I mean

Also for those that think he can plug it in to the router directly; the things in question are DOWNSTAIRS and the router is UPSTAIRS. He can't. Not to the Uverse router anyway. A adapter for the wireless dongles would prolly work too. Tho another router downstairs might work too so he can plug in those annoying things.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

If you mean simple "attach device(s) via LAN cable, connect to network via wifi", most decent access points have a "client mode" where they don't span their own wifi but connect to another.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Could try some Powerline adapters, though the circuits upstairs/downstairs may not let that work.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll check both ideas out. I don't know about the wiring; this isn't exactly a newer house and it seems the owners before us were baaaad do it yourselfers. (We've been finding problems they caused all over while they were "trying to fix things", uuurrrgh.)

And yes, Niya, that's what I mean. It's annoying that USB internet dongles have taken over for that. Tho since my old Wireless N network card seems to play fairly nice with Windows 10, I am NOT getting rid of that until it dies...Or I move out. Either one. I think I could point Neko at that one too; seems Fry's still has some of that particular model you can buy via mail order.