Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kanriel View Post
    Relative to other MMO's, FFXI's crafting is fucking phenomenal. I haven't played WoW for a while, but best case the way that worked is there would be 1-3 BiS crafted pieces per tier of content, that's it.
    Eeeeeh things in WoW changed so much...
    It used to be very useful to have profession to craft stuff, but it kinda died slowly through the course of the first expansion "The Burning Crusade".
    Then Professions became just something you were doing for personal benefit. You are capped at 2 professions (let's not count the secondary ones) and each profession was granting a very specific "unique" bonus. The purpose of professions for WotLK and Cataclysm was basically that, making the "you can actually craft stuff" quite secondary and almost irrelevant.
    There were a few nice things here and there but they stopped mattering after the first few months of an expansion launch.
    There are exceptions here and there (consumables, mostly) but not many.

From Mists of Pandaria onwards they tried to change the model and in Warlords of Draenor professions became quite different, able to craft a plethora of stuff, becoming a gil sink for an over-inflated economy, able to craft unique collectables and even useful gear for many players, thanks to the fact that crafted gear was upgradeable when new better gear came out. This made craftable gear hardly ever the best, but never useless either.
    I dunno the situation in the latest expansion Legion so I can't talk about that.

One thing in common for professions in WoW across all expansions though is that they were NEVER reliant on random element. It was always a matter of effort, farming, grinding and whatever else you wanted, but never "randomness". You couldn't fail a synth, and you couldn't HQ it either.
    They always did a lot for QoL stuff to make it more comfortable to craft multiple stuff, you had recipe books you could navigate through etc.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Funkworkz View Post
    KIs are still in-game.
    XD Thanks for the reply. Was kinda just wondering if SE bothers to remove data once it becomes junk/obsolete/unused.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

They didn't have any data to remove? The cheers and moghancements/moglifications are just in a new category. The data for them is still the same, so the KIs are still in the .dats and stuff.

But to more directly answer your question, SE tends to not remove things. Guess how many of the FR/DE translations are still in the .dats.

If you guessed "all of them" then you were correct.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Anyway, them spreading the AoE adjustment to all areas is hopefully good news. I'd ask if anyone ever mathed out the true effect, but I guess that's kinda difficult since we didn't have a "before" state with the Ambuscade mobs having switched. Possible now with outside sources, at least.
    I roughly mathed it out in the update thread they added it. Don't really need a before just compare main target with subtarget dmg. would have to go back and check but iirc it was very significant like -2/3s or something.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

After surging 13 like 10x in a row. My guess they upped the drop rate on pouches. Almost all my lootpools have been majority sacks/pouches

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

....Fenrir is a mount.

Fuck

The siren's call is starting up again.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    They didn't have any data to remove? The cheers and moghancements/moglifications are just in a new category. The data for them is still the same, so the KIs are still in the .dats and stuff.

But to more directly answer your question, SE tends to not remove things. Guess how many of the FR/DE translations are still in the .dats.

If you guessed "all of them" then you were correct.
    Good to know about the laziness I guess ^^;; Now I'm wondering how much bloat there is in the client from abandoned / no longer used data... And if it's being left in because spaghetti or lack of manpower or actual laziness.

And there were two descriptions for each cheer before (which I found annoying enough to remember.) If you checked your KI list, it gave a generic type description, but if you checked w/ Chacharoon then it displayed a detailed description with the actual effects. Now when you check your current effects category, it displays the same detailed one that used to be shown by Chacharoon.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Okay.

The answer is that SE could trim FFXI down a bit if they eliminated FR/DE string files, but it's kinda insignificant compared to the total size of FFXI.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

So you can only get 1 voucher per NQ/HQ slot with hallmarks? So much for catching up Chiyio and his chars.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just attempted to solo Intense on VE, and here are my observations.

There are five mobs:

Bozzeto Protector (PLD, Wivre Rider model)
    Bozzeto Erudite (WHM/BLM, caster Mamool model)
    Bozzeto Moraingist (MNK/BRD, Sahagin model)
    Bozzeto Lancer (DRG, melee Mamool model)
    Bozzeto Autarch (NIN, Gulool Ja Ja model)

Bozzeto Protector does standard Wivre Rider stuff, including Blazing Angon, and a new TP move called Cyclonic Flames. He also uses Paladin magic, and will use Invincible at low HP.

Bozzeto Erudite casts standard whm and blm spells (including TV and VI nukes and stun), -ga enfeebles, and can Benediction.

Bozzeto Moraingist sings songs, uses Hundred Fists, and uses a unique TP move called Fetid Flood.

Bozzeto Lancer will summon 3 wyverns upon being damaged, can use Lethe Assault and Groundburst, uses Spirit Surge.

Bozzeto Autarch uses standard ninjutsu, and can use all of Gulool's special TP moves, except that he replaces Vorpal Wheel with a move called Hemotoxin Wheel, which does very high damage (~1300 on VE with ~1100 defense), ~50/tic poison, and charm. This is very likely to be the OHKO move that people have been mentioning in other testimonies.

I almost won, but made the mistake of casting on Autarch, which led to me getting charmed. I then followed him back to the center of the room, where I proceeded to die to poison in a place I couldn't RR up from.

Edit: I won on my second try when I was careful not to trigger Hemotoxin Wheel (VE). I didn't notice any DT on the boss, and he didn't use Mijin on that difficulty.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    I *loathe* crafting, I loathe how a few already rich individuals can get even richer through those means, I hate how it creates an NQ item for everyone and a shiny HQ for 28 people in the world.
    That specific problem is a direct result of JP crafters conspiring to create a blockade against any NA being able to craft early on in the game. Since NQ were being sold at far below the materials cost, the NA players attempting to level or use a craft would be unable to afford even trying to level. HQ would still cost more but it certainly wouldn't be 100x the price of an NQ like nowadays.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

To follow on Intense Ambuscade, in our attempt (normal) the Autarch had some extreme -DT (From 300-400 dmg per swing on BLU to all adds, to 50-60 non crits on Autarch) even after we killed all adds, found out that when all adds were down, any kind of magic (that did damage) would trigger Hemotoxin Blade 100% of the time in our run (tested it 8 times on GEO mule)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Can get HP Bayld from digging in the new zones. Fairly nice treat.

All the divine logs I pulled up made me wish this was 2005. I'd be rich.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So for AAGK trust you don't need all 4 of the scroll trusts. Couldn't get quest with none then got 2 and could

Rules to being a Wizard. 1. Drinking 2. Magic
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ilyena Moerelle
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Commskywalker View Post
    AAGK trust, seems to use Jump, High Jump, Hasso, Third Eye, Meditate and will Sekka to self-SC Yuki>Kasha. I've only seen him use Yuki/Kasha/Gekko. I can't see myself ever using him tbh outside of taking a screenshot once all the AAs are out.
    Just used him in ambuscade and he ended up using Fudo and Dragonfall after meditate

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

They'll make sure to release EV last, since it's the only one that is potentially useful.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hitome Naoki
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kanriel View Post
    Relative to other MMO's, FFXI's crafting is fucking phenomenal. I haven't played WoW for a while, but best case the way that worked is there would be 1-3 BiS crafted pieces per tier of content, that's it. In FFXIV crafted gear catches you up but is outclasses by raid gear all around, and then you just make materia from my understanding. In FFXI, a BiS character is going to have well over a billion gil in crafted gear on it, except for weird exceptions like WHM or something. That's a much bigger demand than in other MMO's. Sure, it's not early days FFXI, but that was because there were 5-20x as many players, at various levels, everyone was leveling new jobs constantly and crafters were rare.
    This may be the case now (I wouldn't know) but definitely wasn't the case in the past. Many FCs used crafted gear during progression of Coil. Many FCs and players (including me) used it after because it allowed jobs that couldn't reach ACC caps (like SCH, for example) to reach those caps via materia. Turning a primary healer into a damage dealer while the WHM took care of bidness solo was how it was for a long time.

Things went south in Heavensward for crafters/gatherers and I haven't checked back since.

Point being: crafting was (and probably still is) quite profitable if not for the food/consumable market alone which neglects the other crafts.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    They'll make sure to release EV last, since it's the only one that is potentially useful.
    PLD/WHM? I doubt it'll be worthwhile. HM might be if he tanks. Decent replacement for Gessho. MR would be fun if she summons a pet but she wont.

To be fair, other games flopping with their own crafting doesn't really change my opinion of how XI handled theirs, either. Mechanically, I think XIV's is the most fun, albeit vulnerable to RNG like XI's is. Stuff like WoW's or Rift's may be more stable, but they also tend to ceiling gear potential lower than raid stuff, often to the point where crafting stuff might be a shortcut to raid entry if you don't want to spam dungeons. Occasionally you'll get some oddities like Aion where you have the guaranteed crafts like WoW, but a very niche chance of a secondary HQ attempt, and sometimes those led into tiered synths for better versions.

What Khajit pointed out in the early days of XI was definitely a thing, but even shortly past that hump, it wasn't uncommon to have richer players try to deliberately crash markets to drive out competition. The rise of the RMT didn't really help matters, either. And if you were one of the poor souls who chose Alchemy, well, you never really had it good in either the consumable or durable market. I'd even be so bold as to assert the best time to be an alchemist was with the ToAU launch and making of PUP attachments. Otherwise, the craft relied more on the HQ crimson lotto, and generally only on the legs. Such made it fairly volatile. History's kinda repeating itself there with the Refresh ring as an unlikely alternative.

Either way, while profitability is a valid way to look at success, I also try to look at practicality. What does having a specific craft do to benefit you and your friends? In XI's case, it usually just meant saving some gil and here and there if and only if the HQ game wasn't a factor. There was a lot of stuff no one would ever really want to use or buy. We had no BoE system in play. Various NM drops had a habit of invalidating slots for a number of levels, like Peacock Charm/O.Kote/Speed Belt/etc.. Upgrading gear didn't really happen so much as changing one thing into something else (with a different level req). We couldn't exactly specify customizations like other games would with runes/enchantment systems, either, which honestly would've been a great boon to Alchemy had SE thought of it. They maybe briefly had flashes of inspiration with charged stuff, but too often they simply fell flat in performance, uses/cooldowns, or cost. We could even look implicitly at how minimal the effects of gear were in the early levels, to the point some people just deliberately leveled naked/in starter gear until 30ish, really only changing their weapon as they went.

Overall, we were left markets that were easily manipulated and with questionable selections once you started factoring NM/Event loot. All of this is why I ultimately assert SE didn't handle crafting well even if someone could point to specific items/eras and claim they became gillionaires doing whatever. And of course, anyone who dared question the system was usually met with claims they're doing it wrong, or as an undertone, not immoral enough. And I'd posit that's why the game went so R/Ex-centric from Abyssea and onward.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by DragonReborn View Post
    Just used him in ambuscade and he ended up using Fudo and Dragonfall after meditate
    Maybe theres a HP trigger for those...or your char is galka?

Or...and yes I'm gonna say it, ebon panels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast