BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Upscaler for a PS2?

This may sound funky but one of the reasons I got my fatty was so I can play PS1 games on it since we got a HUUGE PS1/PS2 library downstairs.

Unfortunately I tried FF8, it looks like crap. And I'm daisychaining it though my VCR/DVD combo via RCA cables...Oh and PS2 games look decent on this tv, just so everyone knows.

I've heard a upscaler can help. Would anyone know of any good ones? And don't say emulator please. My brother has a original pocketstation and I'd like to actually use that, and you can't use that on a emulator. And you can't use that on the PS3 either, annoyingly enough.

I don't expect today's graphics but I'd rather it didn't look quite so blocky, you know?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Offhand, the good one is the XRGB mini Framemeister. It does, however, cost several hundred dollars. There are plenty of cheaper scalers, but practically speaking, they may not be any better than the scaler built into your TV or AV receiver. Or they could offer lower lag or compatibility with input signals (like 240p RGB, which most HDTVs can't handle), just depends.

Either way, the first step is getting the best signal out of your console, and RCA/composite is not that. Component would be better, possibly your best option without mods or additional hardware if your TV can support it.

That said, if the issue is it looking "blocky"...PS1 games are very low resolution (many are 320x240ish), and better, clearer video tends to just highlight that. If, for example, you don't like how the game looks via your PS3, which does a good job in scaling things up for HD output, then you'd probably need to go to PC emulation to "fix" it due to ability to render in higher resolution and filter more. If it's a muddy, blurry mess though, I'd try a better output cable first and see what you think.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

PS1 games do look like crap. Not much you can do about it.

They also wobble because of certain Z axis stuff.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Well, it's pretty blurry with the PS1 games and "I remember that looking better than that..." I don't expect today's graphics out of PS1 games. I'm guessing it's my TV, really. I went to a LCD a while ago; somehow those things look better on old tube tvs, but I don't have room for a old tube tv in my room, so if there is a way to remove some of the blurry on the PS1 games, I'd be glad. Especially for FF8 because of the Pocketstation issue. ('Bro actually got that pocketstation for FF8. I want to play it sooner or later, and since we have it, it's kinda stupid to buy the Steam version.)

I'll check that out though. Since I have to daisychain though the vcr/dvd combo, it's a bit hard to use composite (since the VCR is using that as RCA cables, and I only have one set of outlets for that) but I'll see if I can get a bit better quality RCA cables for both. If that don't work, I'll try looking for a reasonably priced upscaler, if anyone knows of one.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

What other inputs does the TV have? Component is not that uncommon still, though S-Video got largely dropped years ago. Composite can have some variance on cable quality, but not -that- much.

The other thing to consider, if you're looking at spending money, is to get an A/V receiver, since a good number of those have decent scalers in them, and it'd facilitate an audio upgrade at the same time. Probably more expensive than a $40-60 HDMI converter/upscaler though.

http://retrorgb.com/playstation.html has a lot of information about optimal output, though it might be more cost/effort than you were looking for.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Basically 1 spot for component/rca (which is taken up by the vcr/dvd combo) and 2 HDMI ports. One of which I have a switcher on b/c I have a PS3 and a PS4 as well, not to mention a Fire stick.

I'll look into that Isiola. I THINK that VCR/DVD combo _might_ have a SVideo hookup, so there's that too. Give me a bit to find the post where I *discovered* that my tv tends to be a little funkeh and I didn't have my VCR/DVD combo hooked up correctly (and a lot of cussing ensued) so I can get you brands.

[Edit] Found it. Model number on the VCR/DVD combo is (Toshiba) D-KVR20, the TV is (JVC) EM32FL. I hope that gives folks a idea.

We often play Micro Machines for the PS1 on a PS2, and we can't use Component cable (YpPer or whatever it's called) with that game. I think that only works with PS2 games. So we use 3x RCA / SCART.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Enedin View Post
    We often play Micro Machines for the PS1 on a PS2, and we can't use Component cable (YpPer or whatever it's called) with that game. I think that only works with PS2 games. So we use 3x RCA / SCART.
    Component cables do work for PS1 games on PS2, but the issue you have with using them is fairly common due to many newer TVs not handling the resulting 240p signal.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ran across an interesting youtube vid on the topic of video scaling for ps1 games on sony consoles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7fCTHu99bk . It's mostly about the kinds of options each console has in terms of cables, output, and scaling quality.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

As I told you on AIM, Orthina; really interesting. I might play any PS1 game on my PS3 unless it's called Final Fantasy 8 (since I don't have the memory card peripheral and also I recall that the PS3 doesn't like the pocketstation for some reason), but I'll see if I can look into some better cables. I got some generic ones that work right now but...

[Edit] Woo, tried Chrono Cross on the PS3 and it looks a lot better. I just need to make sure I turn on the analog on the controller. Shame I can't do that with FF8, or no pocketstation, which kinda stinks...for the rest of you, the PC version has Chocobo World without having to hunt up a rare Pocketstation in the US. (Yes, Bro imported it. Yes, it works with certain us games.) I just see no reason to buy the PC version when we have the pocketstation.