+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

FFRK - Abyss Dungeon 08 - WHM II Event & Strategies

Remember that you do NOT need to worry about completing this, if you are a newer player and don't have the hones/gear/chars leveled needed to clear, you can wait for the abyss dungeon to open up again next month and complete both this one and the next one then.

Event Start Date: October 18
    Event End Date: November 1

All Information is taken from a mixture of Reddit/Spreadsheets/Kongbakpao Site.

Most, if not all info for the event (Commentary/Ultimate Abilities was directly copy/pasted from it, so all credit to the site for that especially!) comes from this site: http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/abyss-8/

Notable Rewards

6 star Accessory
    1x Soul of Hero
    1x Memory Crystal
    1x Memory Crystal II
    1x Curada Memory Crystal

Curada
    • 6 Star White Magic ability
    • Single Target Curaja (h105) and grants HP Stock for 2000 HP for 25 seconds, can also DMG undead

Relics

Spoiler: show
    Core: Tyro: Healing Grimoire (SB), Sentinel's Grimoire (SB), Cyclone Grimoire (SB), Last Judgment Grimoire (SSB), Keeper's Tome (BSB)
    FF1: Serah: Healing Staff (SB), White Robe (SB)
    FF2: Minwu: Healing Staff (SSB), White Robe (SB)
    FF3: Arc: Holy Wand (SB), Elder Staff (SSB)
    FF4: Rosa: Elven Bow (SB), White Dress (SB), Artemis Bow (SSB)
    FF4: Porom: Seraphim's Mace (SSB)
    FF5: Lenna: Healing Staff (SB), Sage's Staff (SB), Power Staff (SB), Mace of Zeus (SSB)
    FF5: Exdeath: Moore Branch (SB), Ghido's Whisker (SB), Exdeath's Cuirass (SSB)
    FF6: Relm: Chocobo Brush (SSB), Cat-Ear Hood (SB), Luminous Robe (SB)
    FF7: Aerith: Guard Stick (SB), Keepsake Ribbon (SB), Aurora Rod (SB), Wizard Staff (SSB), Prism Rod (SB), Wizer Rod (BSB)
    FF8: Selphie: Morning Star (SB), Crescent Wish (SSB), Scorpion Tail (SB), Strange Vision (BSB)
    FF9: Eiko: Hypnocrown (SB), Golem Flute (SB), Fairy Flute (SSB), Hamelin (BSB)
    FF9: Beatrix: Save The Queen (SB), Thunder Gloves (SB), Ragnarok (SSB), Lightbringer (BSB)
    FF9: Kuja: Punisher (SSB), Kuja's Gloves (SB)
    FF10: Yuna: Magistral Rod (SB), Lullaby Rod (SB), Full Metal Rod (SSB), Tiny Bee (BSB), Songstress Rod (SB)
    FF12: Penelo: Judicer's Staff (SB), Holy Rod (SSB), Traveler's Vestment (SB)
    FF13: Vanille: Binding Rod (SB), Wyrmfang (SB), Physician's Staff (SSB)
    FF14: Y'shtola: Thyrus (SB), Healer Robe (SB), Omnirod (SSB)
    FFT: Ovelia: Healing Staff (SSB), Luminous Robe (SB)

Dungeon Bosses

Imperial Shadow (FF2)
    HP: ~175000
    Target Score:
    • Attack Imperial Shadow with white magic.
    • Reduce Imperial Shadow's ATK.
    • Reduce Imperial Shadow's DEF.

Weak: None
    Absorbs: None
    Null: Ice/Poison
    Vulnerabilities: Stun Abilities

Commentary

None

Total medals = 18, meaning you can only afford to lose 3 medals to get Mastery.

Earth Guardian (FF9)
    HP: ~190000
    Target Score:
    • Defeat Earth Guardian without being KO'd.
    • Attack Earth Guardian with white magic.
    • Exploit Earth Guardian's weakness to holy attacks.

Weak: Wind/Holy
    Absorbs: Earth
    Resist: Dark
    Null: None
    Vulnerabilities: Slow Abilities, Blind Abilities, Sleep Abilities, and Stun Abilities

Commentary

None

Defender Z (FF10)
    HP: ~230000
    Target Score:
    • Defeat Defender Z without being KO'd.
    • Afflict Defender Z with Berserk.
    • Reduce Defender Z's DEF.

Resists: None
    Vulnerabilities: Berserk Abilities, Sap Abilities, and Stun Abilities

Commentary

None

Lich (FF1)
    HP: ~240000
    Target Score:
    • Afflict Lich with slow.
    • Reduce Lich's RES.
    • Exploit Lich's weakness to holy attacks.

Weak: Holy
    Resist: None
    Null: Ice
    Vulnerabilities: Slow Abilities, Stop Abilities, and Stun Abilities

Commentary

Highly recommend STOPPING Lich. His AoE Flare is very unforgiving. Have a dedicated character with high MND on chain Stop / Halting Rumba duty.

Guardian (Nightmare)
    HP: ~144000 (Body), ~10000 each (Parts)
    Target Score:
    • Use white magic against Nightmare Guardian.
    • Use white magic against Nightmare Launcher.
    • Remove Regen from Nightmare Wave Cannon.

Resists: None
    Break Resistance: Null
    Vulnerabilities: Stun Abilities (Launchers/Guardian)

Abilities

? Wave Cannon
    Lock On: Locks on to a target.
    Surge Beam: Deal special ranged physical attack to a target that is Locked On.
    Accidental Explosion: Deal special ranged physical attack to a target that is Locked On.

? Launcher A/B (Phase 1)

Rainbow Wind: Blind and Sap one target.
    Missile: Deal damage to one target, proportional to HP.
    Mustard Bomb: Deal moderate ranged physical damage and Sap one target.
    Flash: Blind all targets.
    Mustard Bomb (Counter): Deal moderate ranged physical damage and Sap one target. (trigger: black magic, physical attacks, ninja attacks)

? Launcher A/B (Phase 2/ Phase 3)

Rainbow Wind: Blind and Sap one target.
    Missile: Deal damage to one target, proportional to HP.
    Mustard Bomb: Deal moderate ranged physical damage and Sap one target.
    Flash: Blind all targets.
    Rocket Punch: Deal damage to one target, proportional to HP, and sometimes Confuse the target.
    Mustard Bomb (Counter): Deal moderate ranged physical damage and Sap one target. (trigger: black magic, physical attacks, ninja attacks)

? Guardian (Phase 1/ Phase 2)

Gravity: Deal damage to one target, proportional to HP.
    Atomic Ray: Deal moderate special fire magic damage to all targets.
    Gamma Ray: Reduce one target’s DEF & RES temporarily.
    Electric Shock: Deal moderate special lightning magic damage to one target.
    Atomic Ray (Counter): Deal moderate special fire magic damage to all targets. (trigger: black magic, physical attacks, ninja attacks)

? Guardian (Phase 3)

Graviga: Deal damage to one target, proportional to HP.
    Atomic Ray: Deal moderate special fire magic damage to all targets.
    Gamma Ray: Reduce one target’s DEF & RES temporarily.
    Electric Shock: Deal moderate special lightning magic damage to one target.
    Atomic Ray (Counter): Deal moderate special fire magic damage to all targets. (trigger: black magic, physical attacks, ninja attacks)

Commentary

No real info available on KBP, only info is the following blurb about using an all Ninja strategy:

The following strategy is taken from junigless’s post on reddit, strategy adapted from Keytsang:
    (refer to Video #6)

So I decided to try this one with a couple of ninjas. The mastery conditions did not state that we weren’t allowed to use ninja magic, however ninja magic does trigger 100% counterattacks. Using a ninja is only possible if you have Sentinel’s Grimoire/Stoneskin II. Beyond that, it’s a matter of giving people Fire-resistant accessories, since the main body counters ninja magic with an AoE Fire-elemental magic attack.

The real reason I decided to try this was because the hot potato game doesn’t really appeal to me, it’s just an exercise in frustration trying to reset again and again if I even drop one bomb. Brute forcing is definitely possible, and that’s at least the saving grace of this Abyss dungeon, compared to Abyss Kaiser Dragon.

I kinda went overboard on the hones as I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough hones, after trying a full White Mage party with three copies of R4 Diaga. Turned out that the hones on Whirlwind were absolutely unnecessary, seeing as it did roughly as much damage as Water Veil did (which was cheaper to hone).

Eiko could also have done with Curaga instead of Diaga, since I ran Selphie’s BSB as my RW, and thus I had access to both Dispel for the Launcher, and for hitting the main body with a White Magic attack (Selphie’s 2nd command counts as a White Magic attack, and it does come with a Dispel effect as well).

Soul Break charges weren’t a problem here – the counters did little damage, and every hit taken helped to charge SB bars. Ramza is one of the best choices for a non-synergy ninja here if you have his Tailwind SB, since that at least gives him something to do with his bar.

Video 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt_oRg4ahhY

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Man. This is going to be difficult to figure out.

I'm thinking:

Ysh (main healer, mitigation)
    Aerith (dd, raise monkey)
    Ramza (bard, tailwind spammer)
    Porom (haste, dd)
    Mehnelo (dancer, dd)

Since I have a medica for every mage, native hastega and Wall, I can probably afford to use Ramza to spam jutsu and tank the damage. Then I'll just RW something like Selphie or another WHM burst. Heck, if I do Eiko I don't even need to bring cure (and I still may not).

I can use summons right? I'm debating on bringing Alexander and Diaga and making an extra copy for the fight.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

yeah, summons don't trigger the counter. nor does white magic. I been reading up on this one; it sounds interesting with the hot potato mechanic. interesting/hellish. not that it matters for me. this sounds like a headache and a half. YOU GUYS HAVE FUN.

although I will probably be clearing out all the basic four dungeons from the old nightmares, it's about time. lodes ahoy!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Here's a detailed explanation of the actual mechanics for the boss that I found on reddit for anyone looking to do it the "proper" way:

Mechanics: Phase 1: As the fight starts, only the two Launchers and the Wave Cannon are targetable. The Launchers and Cannon start under Regen status. The Launchers and the main Guardian itself will use their standard AI routines as any other boss does. When both Launchers die (even if the Wave Cannon is still alive), the Guardian becomes targetable.

The Wave Cannon, meanwhile, cycles through a pattern where it targets one character, then charges up its Wave Cannon. A message pops up at the top of the screen (it's longer than any of the attacks) when it's preparing to fire. After that point, on the Wave Cannon's next turn, it will use Wave Cannon if the current target is a player character or Accidental Explosion if the current target is a piece of the boss. Both abilities are functionally identical, dealing the Wave Cannon's current HP in damage to the target; if it's at full health, this will one-shot a Launcher or deal roughly 1/15th the Guardian's HP.

You can manipulate the current target (visible as a pulsing crosshair) by having the targeted character perform any action. The target of that action becomes the new target.

After a certain amount of time (or damage?) with the Launchers dead, they will revive.

Phase 2: Mechanically this is identical to Phase 1, except now the Wave Cannon keeps track of two targets and the Launchers can occasionally Confuse someone.

Phase 3: Mechanically identical to Phase 2, except that now the Wave Cannon keeps track of three targets and Guardian uses Gravija instead of Gravity.

Strategy: This is basically a game of hot potato. Wait with the targeted character's action until the Wave Cannon's firing designation pops up, count to 5 or so, then have the targeted character use a white magic spell on whichever part you want to blow up (DO NOT target the Wave Cannon itself, you need it to actually hurt the boss). You can use summons to AOE down the Launchers if you want, but be sure not to kill the Wave Cannon. Heal it if needed. The first phase goes slowly because there is only one target at a time, but phase 2 and 3 go very quickly. Do note that there are always 2 targets in phase 2 and 3 targets in phase 3, even if you have fewer living characters. All targets transfer at the same time, so it works exactly like normal, but you don't lose out on damage by having too few living characters.

Your party should just be your 5 best white mages -- Beatrix is actually really good here because she's sturdy as hell and her Mind doesn't matter very much -- equipped with your best defensive gear and probably your best Instant KO resistance accessories. The boss does spam Atomic Ray a lot, but as long as you have Shellga up and make use of Defend when you don't need to heal or pass the hot potato, it won't hurt that much. Meanwhile, Gravija is an 87% current HP attack, which can be very relevant.

Also, all parts of the boss absorb thunder apparently

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I did mine the ninja way similar to the video in the OP, was a pretty easy 1/1 mastery and didn't have to deal with the hot potato shenanigans.

Setup was:

Tyro - Gust r4 / Phantasm r4 / Hardened Assassin / Unused
    Ramza - Water veil r4 / Water veil r4 / Ace Striker / Tailwind
    Garnet - Curaja r5 / Dispel r3 / Dr Mog's Teachings / Divine Guardian
    Y'shtola - Curaga r5 / Diaga r4 / Mako Might / SS2
    Eiko - Maduin r4 / Maduin r4 / Devotion / Unused

RW - Keeper's Tome

Had oath veil on tyro (+20% wind) and quina's hairpin on Ramza (+20% water). With fire resist accessories on and mitigation from KT, divine guardian, and SS2 the atomic rays were only doing ~250 damage so the counters weren't really an issue. Regen was offsetting most of the damage and tailwind covered the rest, with an occasional single target heal needed for the gravity attacks. Phantasm was hitting for around 7100, Gust around 5500, water veil around 3k, and maduin around 4k.

Also, that lich fight sucked fighting it head on. I would definitely follow the advice in the OP and stop lock. It spams AoE nukes that hit like a truck and even has an AoE death spell.

BG Level

Fuck the Lich hard.

Kept disconnecting until I realized you have to keep the Wave Cannon alive and attack the Guardian lol

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Corwen View Post
    I did mine the ninja way similar to the video in the OP, was a pretty easy 1/1 mastery and didn't have to deal with the hot potato shenanigans.

Setup was:

Tyro - Gust r4 / Phantasm r4 / Hardened Assassin / Unused
    Ramza - Water veil r4 / Water veil r4 / Ace Striker / Tailwind
    Garnet - Curaja r5 / Dispel r3 / Dr Mog's Teachings / Divine Guardian
    Y'shtola - Curaga r5 / Diaga r4 / Mako Might / SS2
    Eiko - Maduin r4 / Maduin r4 / Devotion / Unused

RW - Keeper's Tome

Had oath veil on tyro (+20% wind) and quina's hairpin on Ramza (+20% water). With fire resist accessories on and mitigation from KT, divine guardian, and SS2 the atomic rays were only doing ~250 damage so the counters weren't really an issue. Regen was offsetting most of the damage and tailwind covered the rest, with an occasional single target heal needed for the gravity attacks. Phantasm was hitting for around 7100, Gust around 5500, water veil around 3k, and maduin around 4k.

Also, that lich fight sucked fighting it head on. I would definitely follow the advice in the OP and stop lock. It spams AoE nukes that hit like a truck and even has an AoE death spell.
    Went in with almost this exact setup(Tyro's using SG and I subbed Selphie(with Dreamstage) for Y'shtola and Yuna for Eiko) but I'm only doing ~2k damage with every person and I run out of hones about halfway through the fight. Am I missing something? lol

Lich was a pain. Took about 2 hours to get the cannon down, too. Timing on the targets can be annoying if the guardian syncs close to the beam firing.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Auspice View Post
    Went in with almost this exact setup(Tyro's using SG and I subbed Selphie(with Dreamstage) for Y'shtola and Yuna for Eiko) but I'm only doing ~2k damage with every person and I run out of hones about halfway through the fight. Am I missing something? lol
    What's your MAG? I'm pretty much running:

Yshtola (Curaja, Shellga)
    Aerith (Val, Mad)
    Yuna (Alex, Diaga)
    Porom (Diaga, Dispel)
    Ramza (Phantasm, Water Veil - though strongly considering whirlwind)

And basically it's an RNG fight. I have so many Medicas I'm contemplating actually pulling Curaja off of Yshtola and throwing it out in favor of more damage.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I tweaked my gear a bit more(I forgot to put a +MAG weapon on Tyro) and ended up clearing it but my winning attempt I forgot to dispel so I had to do it again. At least I've got my champion and I'm done with this crap lol

BG Level

Well that was pretty intense. Switching out Yuna for Tyro (put my 8* Cardinal on him) made all the difference in terms of DPS. R1 Curada should be enough for most things I'm doing with my healers.

Ended up with R5 Alex, R5 Valefor, and R4 Jutsus (which will come handy with Edge later).

Relic Shield
    BG Level

The Way You're Supposed To Do It: I gave up. It's possible but it was too much work coordinating the stupid lock ons and starting over took forever.
    Brute Force: RW strange vision+innate sheep song = yuna becomes hyper summon god of megadeath (and minwu and a kitted out fire kururu weren't too shabby either). Now I has a phantasm r3 and leviathan r5. I wonder if it's possible to minus strike and piercing strike the launcher to death?

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Playing hot potato is getting fucking annoying. Like you hit the target, then 0.5 seconds before it fires, you get hit and boom goes the run.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Finally beat it. Brute forced it, but tbh, I only beat it because I went to the Keeper Choice 2 banner and got both Vanille's Miracle Prayer SSB and Tyro's Wall.

This shit was annoying. RW's Selphie's BSB.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Brute force (obviously) but went in with a few different teams.

Eiko and Garnet using summons just wasn't cutting it on damage. Yuna with Diaga wasn't cutting it on damage. Beatrix with Imperil Holy and then Yshtola using Diaga was cutting it.

BG Level

I wish I had SG.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post

Brute force (obviously) but went in with a few different teams.

Eiko and Garnet using summons just wasn't cutting it on damage. Yuna with Diaga wasn't cutting it on damage. Beatrix with Imperil Holy and then Yshtola using Diaga was cutting it.
    Wow, your Tyro is...literally the exact same as mine was in the fight lol

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

By the way, auto-equip for Yuna stacks MAG and not MND and it's super annoying.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Yeah the optimize is smarter than it's ever been but the whm/smns it has issues with along with other hybrids and it resets the soul breaks to everything learned.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Brute forced like everyone else, Tailwind and Pride of Tycoon was overkill with SG up.

RW was Selphie's BSB.