+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Woo. That last one really says it all ^. No more risks, sure things only.

I hope Obi Wan gets made, that's the only spinoff that I could see having legs if Ewan was attached. Solo was an amazing character because of Ford's delivery. Without him, it's little wonder the movie flopped.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

A movie that makes 120 million isn’t a flop. And that movie was great.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    It is when every other movie your company is chucking out there is topping a smooth billion.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

120 mil was considered a good box office like a decade ago yeah. These days, 500mill+ box offices seem to be to new bar to hit, or it just sucks. Of course by 'sucks', talking about turn out, not whether people liked the movie.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

10 million could be a great box office if the movie was cheap to make. I liked Solo, but its gonna lose about 50million when all is said and done. Thats a flop.

Disney seems to be trying to over simplify a complicated problem. The issues aren't that they took risks and subverted expectations, the issues are how they handle the movies in general.

You can take risks and be subversive, but that doesn't automatically make the movie good.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yeah but this movie WAS good is the problem. People aren’t giving it a chance because of how disappointing TLJ was. Solo is a good movie and deserved better. It was better than TLJ and RO.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Dunno why they thought a Solo movie with some rando was a good idea to release first, as opposed to a Kenobi film with fan favorite Ewan McGregor. I was more hyped over Kenobi than episode 9. Oh well.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Yeah but this movie WAS good is the problem. People aren’t giving it a chance because of how disappointing TLJ was. Solo is a good movie and deserved better. It was better than TLJ and RO.
    I was mostly speaking about TLJ and R1, which is the direct reason this (edit: this being Han Solo, thought this was the Han Solo Thread lol) movie did so badly aside from whatever criticism you have about it. I'd say Solo has the same problem that R1 did but to a way lesser degree. They seem to have to justify every little thing you know about Han Solo rather than just taking those traits and making a movie.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fhloston View Post
    Dunno why they thought a Solo movie with some rando was a good idea to release first, as opposed to a Kenobi film with fan favorite Ewan McGregor. I was more hyped over Kenobi than episode 9. Oh well.

If people gave it a shot they'd see how good this portrayal of Solo was.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If this movie came before Rogue One would you feel the same way about it? No. You're not giving it a chance because you were disappointed by TLJ and possibly RO. There's no reason for SOLO to have received the negative stigma it has... Of the four new movies to come out it's easily the 2nd best and arguably THE best.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

R1 was awesome. Gtfo

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

If this movie came before Rogue One would you feel the same way about it? No. You're not giving it a chance because you were disappointed by TLJ and possibly RO. There's no reason for SOLO to have received the negative stigma it has... Of the four new movies to come out it's easily the 2nd best and arguably THE best.
    I'm not giving it a chance because I don't give a shit about Solo's backstory. I felt what we got in episodes 4-7 was enough for the character. I'm also not giving it a chance because I know Disney wants to cash in and milk this franchise for all its worth. This shit is getting ridiculous.

Blame the stigma this movie has on Disney and Kennedy. Production troubles, lead actor needing an acting couch, change of directors. All of that on top of many fans asking why this movie even exists in the first place. It was a recipe for disaster. The movie actually being good didn't help in the end, obviously.

I enjoyed Rogue One, and I feel I'd probably enjoy Solo as well. Star Wars outside light sabers, the Jedi & Sith is refreshing. RO did good because it was their first big theatrical attempt at this. Also because TFA was well received. The timing was perfect and the momentum was still there.

When they play it safe, like they did with TFA, things seem to work out. Sometimes they get lucky like they did with RO. I feel like they should've played it safe one more time and released Kenobi first. Get that momentum back after the disaster that was TLJ.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm not giving it a chance because I don't give a shit about Solo's backstory. I felt what we got in episodes 4-7 was enough for the character. I'm also not giving it a chance because I know Disney wants to cash in and milk this franchise for all its worth. This shit is getting ridiculous.

Blame the stigma this movie has on Disney and Kennedy. Production troubles, lead actor needing an acting couch, change of directors. All of that on top of many fans asking why this movie even exists in the first place. It was a recipe for disaster. The movie actually being good didn't help in the end, obviously.

I enjoyed Rogue One, and I feel I'd probably enjoy Solo as well. Star Wars outside light sabers, the Jedi & Sith is refreshing. RO did good because it was their first big theatrical attempt at this. Also because TFA was well received. The timing was perfect and the momentum was still there.

When they play it safe, like they did with TFA, things seem to work out. Sometimes they get lucky like they did with RO. I feel like they should've played it safe one more time and released Kenobi first. Get that momentum back after the disaster that was TLJ.

I agree with all of this, was my same feelings. I eventually saw Solo because I saw a lot of good reviews for it. So I actually get why they made it now. It looks like they are setting up a bigger story, and Solo was a good way to kick it off.

Although the reveal for the bigger story is just a tiny scene towards the end, so you could just youtube it or something if you don't want to see the rest of the movie.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Solo cost $275M to make. The standard to get back into the black, thanks to how much is usually spent on promotion, is make that back double.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Rumor: Coming to Disney's Streaming Service Instead of Theaters
    https://theplaylist.net/lucasfilm-ob...ture-20180622/

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Disney...just...

okay?

If you're going to shift production goals, do something small first like a Shadows of the Empire live action mini-series. Doing something big with Obi-Wan on a streaming service (or half assing something big scaled down to fit a streaming service) is just panicky and won't help fixing the issues at hand.

You over drew your own hand and then went all in based on your initial 2 cards. Just chill out for a year or two and focus on Ep 9.

Solo wasn't bad, and might have broke even if it wasn't technically filmed twice. Disney's issue now is fatigue after 2 average at best offerings after Force Awakens good showing and Rogue One trying to do things a little differently. You can't keep a brand like Star Wars a yearly event with average offerings, and that is what they can't seem to fix.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Disney is not panicky lol. They've already made their money back and regardless of one movie flopping, they sell enough toys to make obscene amounts of star wars money forever. IF anything (not that I believe it will happen) this would just be to get people to sign up for their new streaming service, make them some of that netflix money.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I know they're not worried about money, its Disney.

I think they are worried about an albatross of a franchise purchase that they're doing too much with. People are going to wane on the Star Wars name more and more if they keep up with average yearly offerings.

I don't think anchoring part of your fledgling streaming service, even with it being Disney and their other properties, to a Star Wars franchise on the downturn is a smart business decision.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It’s like nobody learned anything from the Assassin’s Creed games. You oversaturate the market, take two years off, come back with a quality product that surprises people and then start pumping out sequels again until the cycle repeats.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag