+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

You should consider learning a trade. You should easily be able to get a job as a helper in the construction field that will almost always pay around $15 an hour, while you're learning a skill. Laying tile, framing, plumbing, all workers in very high demand. Once you learn how to do something you can get side jobs here and there that will be highly paid extra income for you. Also, maybe consider moving to a state that has a lower cost of living.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ael Finn
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

This probably won't help but,...

The cynic in my head will say:
    Expecting for some miracle light to shine down on you in a moment of inspiration that will tell you what you were destined to do is a childs dream. Yes it may happen but only if YOU make it happen.

In the meantime,...
    The line from office space is ringing in my ears "Most people don't like their jobs, but you go out there and find something that makes you happy". Don't expect work to be fun. If you need to, make it something that you can find small victories in or moments of fulfillment and enjoyment. Find something that you dont HATE, with people that you dont HATE, in a place that you dont HATE and make that work for you.

Also as far as rent/paying bills... you may need to consider a somewhat different locale if you cannot afford rents in your region. A couple of years ago I did just that, which changed my commute to work from 3miles to 55miles. While my drives now are decent portion of my day (1hr~ each way), it has allowed me to free myself from my mounds of credit card debt and start to actually save money.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

learn 2 code

I didn't read any of that, just providing my perspective.

I hated my job, until I learnt to accept that

- both my bosses are morons, but they don't know any better
    - the company will always be shit if run by morons, so no point in trying to fix what they will break again later anyway
    - nothing is my responsibility - if the client is angry, we should have built better software. and I don't build it, I just tell you how to use it
    - I find value in my life outside work. I have a few hobbies that I really enjoy doing. Ideally I can make one of my hobbies my work, but I'm just glad to go home stressfree and I get paid quite well.

I'm much happier in my job once I dropped all expectations. It's just a place I go to to make money, really.

TL;DR: your job isn't going to make you happy, but you can be happy at your job if you don't look for happiness in it.

PS: this is coming from someone at a cushy albeit boring desk job. If it were more hectic or physically demanding, I may look for something different.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    learn 2 code
    First thing that went through my mind as well.

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

G4P
    Spoiler: show
    You don't even have to tell them you already got the G on lock.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Jobs that are both meaningful to the individual and pay more than a living wage are not a right. If nothing within your capabilities strikes your fancy, then you either increase your abilities, suck it up and do a job you aren't inspired by, or you starve. If nothing strikes your fancy at all, you're probably just super basic and changing that has to come from within.

What do you want from life? What kind of person do you want to be? What do you want to accomplish? If the honest answer to these questions is that all you want is to be able to afford an anime/gaming habit and a living space that won't scare off potential boyfriends then you do you, bro. Screw finding inspiration from work. Just find something that'll pay those internet bills.

Wages in this country are inversely proportional to the number of basic bitches off the street who can do the same work. If you don't want to get paid like a basic bitch off the street, find something you can do that basic bitch #3459876 can't do. If such a skill isn't readily available, cultivate one. If that requires going back to school, do it. If you need money, apply for scholarships. If you are too basic to qualify for scholarships, go back to CC and earn some 4.0s until you do qualify.

Ain't no employer on the planet givin' a single solitary fuck about how many years you had to live off grandpappy's inheritance because you like it in the butt. All that matters is what you can do. If you can't do shit, you ain't worth the dollah bills. You don't need to give excuses to a message board. Just do it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    Jobs that are both meaningful to the individual and pay more than a living wage are not a right. If nothing within your capabilities strikes your fancy, then you either increase your abilities, suck it up and do a job you aren't inspired by, or you starve. If nothing strikes your fancy at all, you're probably just super basic and changing that has to come from within.

What do you want from life? What kind of person do you want to be? What do you want to accomplish? If the honest answer to these questions is that all you want is to be able to afford an anime/gaming habit and a living space that won't scare off potential boyfriends then you do you, bro. Screw finding inspiration from work. Just find something that'll pay those internet bills.

Wages in this country are inversely proportional to the number of basic bitches off the street who can do the same work. If you don't want to get paid like a basic bitch off the street, find something you can do that basic bitch #3459876 can't do. If such a skill isn't readily available, cultivate one. If that requires going back to school, do it. If you need money, apply for scholarships. If you are too basic to qualify for scholarships, go back to CC and earn some 4.0s until you do qualify.

Ain't no employer on the planet givin' a single solitary fuck about how many years you had to live off grandpappy's inheritance because you like it in the butt. All that matters is what you can do. If you can't do shit, you ain't worth the dollah bills. You don't need to give excuses to a message board. Just do it.
    A+ would read again.

Go to community college and get A's until a real school wants you. If you can't do that, learn a trade. If you don't want to, go full Airenn and suck dick for dollars.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    go full Airenn
    I'd like to thank all the competitors, but this is officially the BG term of the year.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

oh shit and the next time someone S's a D for money we can be like "never go full Airenn"

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure I saw Milkster post recently, so we might get to use the term real soon.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Apparently prostitution is highly lucrative.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

my wife just watched S1 of the Girlfriend Experience and apparently that hooker was making MAD loot

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

my wife just watched S1 of the Girlfriend Experience and apparently that hooker was making MAD loot
    I know strippers who live a life I can only dream of (mainly due to dating rich whales who see them dance), so prostitutes who are worth it are probably treated like princesses.

AKA those girls who are hotter than movie actresses and suck dick professionally.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

I saw some high-end pros in Monte Carlo last year. Looked like runway models. Oh to be that stupid rich.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Join the military; get decent pay and benefits while the government pays to educate you, get job experience, and make contacts. Bonus points for going into an intel or computer related field and make bank as a contractor after a single enlistment.

In before a myriad of bullshit excuses on why it wouldn't work; I've heard them all.

If you want great things; expect great effort.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Pulling somewhat from my own experience, have you looked into jobs in the maritime industry? Maybe engineering or steward department? The deck department leads to officer jobs (heavily people-management based). Engineering is less people based but more technical. Stewards have moderate people-involvement, but can get some pretty icky jobs; also includes kitchen staff, and nobody dares to mess with the cooks.

Pros:
    •Entry-level positions available for Deck, Engineering, and Steward departments.
    •Room and board provided while underway.
    •Starting salary is better than most retail jobs. This goes farther since you don't have to worry about rent or food while working.
    •Overt and defined requirements to qualify for promotions.
    •Benefits and vacation time are usually very good. Every few years licensed mariners need to take classes and tests to retain/upgrade their license. The industry realizes this is necessary and gives time off accordingly.
    •Being on a coastal state usually means a good chance at finding a job.

Cons:
    •You're on a boat. If you decide you don't want to be there, too bad. Stick it out until you get back.
    •Must be able to take orders. There isn't much room for creativity, but then again people won't expect anything they don't train you for.
    •Living quarters are not exactly luxurious. 2 bunk beds per room (4 beds) is standard.
    •You'd be getting a somewhat late start in the industry. Almost all promotions are time-based.
    •When not onboard, you'll need to find a temporary place to live.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Are you fluent in Japanese? Really fluent? If so then a translator in the military is a possibility and can get that sweet GI bill after 4-6 years. Hard work but so far i haven't heard a person say it wasn't worth it.

I'm 31 and in my second year in school to become an RN. Took me this long after drifting to figure out what i wanted and now i have to work menial jobs and study hard to get it for a few years. Worth it though, very happy working as a Home care Aid and in the process of getting my CNA certificate. Prerequisites are almost done and i can start my LPN training next year fall.

If plants is what you like then look for jobs that pertain to that (Nursery for instance), maybe you will have to move to another state where living is cheaper and struggle from the bottom up as you gain the necessary skills and certificates to get what you want. There is a myriad of help that can fund your schooling without using loans in a community college. Get food stamps, nothing wrong with that, look for low income housing, you are trying to better your future. Just have to talk to a career counselor or go to a worksource building and do the footwork to get where you want to go. Afraid there is no shortcut here.

back from work (and coming down with a cold, yay!) so might take a bit to get through the responses

Quote Originally Posted by nayaminfenrir View Post
    You should consider learning a trade. You should easily be able to get a job as a helper in the construction field that will almost always pay around $15 an hour, while you're learning a skill. Laying tile, framing, plumbing, all workers in very high demand. Once you learn how to do something you can get side jobs here and there that will be highly paid extra income for you. Also, maybe consider moving to a state that has a lower cost of living.
    i have been considering this actually, though i'm not sure what kind of trade i'd be interested or good at. unfortunately everything i've looked at so far isn't entry positions, but ones requiring several years experience already, which... doesnt help me. that doesn't mean i wont keep looking, but that's after about 4 months of looking so far. :x

as far as moving to a state that's cheaper, that's incredibly high on my priority list, but the problem is... it takes money to move. q-q especially out of state. i'm trying to save up now but since i only have 2 months to do so, that barely covers first and last months rent, which seems a dangerous move to pull off moving to another state without a job already lined up.

learn 2 code
    i...don't think i have that kind of patience, haha. gearswap alone drives me insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelfinn View Post
    This probably won't help but,...

The cynic in my head will say:
    Expecting for some miracle light to shine down on you in a moment of inspiration that will tell you what you were destined to do is a childs dream. Yes it may happen but only if YOU make it happen.

In the meantime,...
    The line from office space is ringing in my ears "Most people don't like their jobs, but you go out there and find something that makes you happy". Don't expect work to be fun. If you need to, make it something that you can find small victories in or moments of fulfillment and enjoyment. Find something that you dont HATE, with people that you dont HATE, in a place that you dont HATE and make that work for you.

Also as far as rent/paying bills... you may need to consider a somewhat different locale if you cannot afford rents in your region. A couple of years ago I did just that, which changed my commute to work from 3miles to 55miles. While my drives now are decent portion of my day (1hr~ each way), it has allowed me to free myself from my mounds of credit card debt and start to actually save money.
    i've not been sitting idle, i have been trying to figure out what i want to do, i just keep running into a whole bunch of NOPES and no real hits. as far as changing locale... i'm already spending almost an hour to reach my current job, because around here the only jobs are either retail or bachelor degrees. driving even further away just isn't feasible for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Auspice View Post
    Join the military; get decent pay and benefits while the government pays to educate you, get job experience, and make contacts. Bonus points for going into an intel or computer related field and make bank as a contractor after a single enlistment.

In before a myriad of bullshit excuses on why it wouldn't work; I've heard them all.

If you want great things; expect great effort.
    military is out as well, as i do not do well in that kind of atmosphere. it completely ruins my ability to work when under high pressure or strict discipline. conversely, relaxed atmospheres tend to have me working full throttle. Note, i am not a lazy person at work (i've had three bosses claim i was the best worker they've ever had, and all three of them took me out to dinner for a going away party when i left) but i choke under pressure and make a lot of mistakes, and that's one thing that hasn't improved with the years, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Prim View Post
    Pulling somewhat from my own experience, have you looked into jobs in the maritime industry? Maybe engineering or steward department? The deck department leads to officer jobs (heavily people-management based). Engineering is less people based but more technical. Stewards have moderate people-involvement, but can get some pretty icky jobs; also includes kitchen staff, and nobody dares to mess with the cooks.

Pros:
    •Entry-level positions available for Deck, Engineering, and Steward departments.
    •Room and board provided while underway.
    •Starting salary is better than most retail jobs. This goes farther since you don't have to worry about rent or food while working.
    •Overt and defined requirements to qualify for promotions.
    •Benefits and vacation time are usually very good. Every few years licensed mariners need to take classes and tests to retain/upgrade their license. The industry realizes this is necessary and gives time off accordingly.
    •Being on a coastal state usually means a good chance at finding a job.

Cons:
    •You're on a boat. If you decide you don't want to be there, too bad. Stick it out until you get back.
    •Must be able to take orders. There isn't much room for creativity, but then again people won't expect anything they don't train you for.
    •Living quarters are not exactly luxurious. 2 bunk beds per room (4 beds) is standard.
    •You'd be getting a somewhat late start in the industry. Almost all promotions are time-based.
    •When not onboard, you'll need to find a temporary place to live.
    i have looked into this actually. the main issues i had with it were everyone said you're never really "off work", and that it's basically 7 days a week kind of job, which is definitely not my idea of a job i want. i do not want work to be my life. that said, small quarters don't bug me and sailing sounds fun, and the one time i rode a boat on the ocean i didn't get seasick (ride to catalina island), but then i saw you get charged an arm and a leg for shitty internet per hour and was like NOPE. i need my internet. XD

Quote Originally Posted by myreality View Post
    Are you fluent in Japanese? Really fluent? If so then a translator in the military is a possibility and can get that sweet GI bill after 4-6 years. Hard work but so far i haven't heard a person say it wasn't worth it.

I'm 31 and in my second year in school to become an RN. Took me this long after drifting to figure out what i wanted and now i have to work menial jobs and study hard to get it for a few years. Worth it though, very happy working as a Home care Aid and in the process of getting my CNA certificate. Prerequisites are almost done and i can start my LPN training next year fall.

If plants is what you like then look for jobs that pertain to that (Nursery for instance), maybe you will have to move to another state where living is cheaper and struggle from the bottom up as you gain the necessary skills and certificates to get what you want. There is a myriad of help that can fund your schooling without using loans in a community college. Get food stamps, nothing wrong with that, look for low income housing, you are trying to better your future. Just have to talk to a career counselor or go to a worksource building and do the footwork to get where you want to go. Afraid there is no shortcut here.
    sadly, i only know a little japanese, most of it picked up from listening. <,< as far as plants, i'm definitely thinking about it, i don't know where to start in such an industry though that doesn't require a bachelors. the career counselor is a good idea though, they might have a better idea of where to start.

as far as prostitution goes, it's southern california, the market's kind of saturated. :p plus i'm not good enough for that, i'm a bit overweight and not terribly great looking either. it's not that i WOULDN'T enjoy fucking hot guys all day, but it's very rare to make an actual career out of such a thing that's successful.

and ranger sounded interesting as well, but those also require bachelor degrees, at least around here. ~_~

i guess the main difficulty i have is both finding a job i enjoy and getting the hell out of california to get to a place that doesn't require a bachelor degree to be an office secretary for 12$ an hour. (yes, that was an actual posting i encountered while job hunting.)

it would also be nice to be able to see a typical days experience in jobs i'm interested in. i see written summaries but it doesn't really cover the reality of a job, doesn't show you all the worst it has to offer in a typical day.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

If you want advice click the spoiler, if you want someone to pat you on the head and tell you everything is rainbows and unicorn farts, don't. I'm putting unfiltered opinions on what I'm reading from your posts in this thread. Probably going to be harsh, but imo you need it.
    Spoiler: show

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post

as far as moving to a state that's cheaper, that's incredibly high on my priority list, but the problem is... it takes money to move. q-q especially out of state. i'm trying to save up now but since i only have 2 months to do so, that barely covers first and last months rent, which seems a dangerous move to pull off moving to another state without a job already lined up.

military is out as well, as i do not do well in that kind of atmosphere. it completely ruins my ability to work when under high pressure or strict discipline. conversely, relaxed atmospheres tend to have me working full throttle.

but then i saw you get charged an arm and a leg for shitty internet per hour and was like NOPE. i need my internet. XD

Imo you should have went into the military at 18 to learn some discipline so you wouldn't be in the situation you are in now. You are trying to live as a juvenile and have the mindset of one. Grow up. You will not have an ideal situation if you cannot create it yourself. Join the military before it is too late, save some money while serving and get some job skills. Once you are nearing the end of your service you can plan for where you will live and what job/career you will have.

never any spare time to actually pet the cats.
    , a massive type A personality supervisor who discouraged even minor talking between employees,

just chilling in the back listening to music

major cons were the bosses never allowed you to stand still even for a minute, even during slow times, and no talking between employees. it just sucked, and eventually i had it terminated when my parents decided to move on black friday, were upset that i couldn't get the day off (wtf?), made me help them move despite having stood on my feet all day and having not eaten yet right after work, doing so until 3 am still without food, then when i had to work the next morning i naturally
    started feeling faint and unable to stand after a few hours, asked the bosses if i could go home early while explaining the situation. they said no, i said i needed to anyways, and yeah. >.>

then my parents screamed at me for getting fired despite it being their damn fault, made me help them move some more immediately, and didn't let up until my legs gave out while carrying a box down the stairs and wound up taking the gravity route along with it, while somehow miraculously avoiding breaking my neck. after this, i avoid CVS like the plague due to trauma.

actually encouraged talking between employees so long as work wasnt disturbed, and kept everyone smiling. i was also allowed to use earbuds and listen to music while working too, so even though the work itself was tedious and boring, it was something i could do while daydreaming so it wasn't so bad, other than having a sore back from bending over all day.

t's both tedious and requires concentration, AND you can't listen to music, AND you don't really get to talk to coworkers. so basically, no daydreaming, no music, its silent as a crypt, and you're on your ass all day.

major pros include being able to eat stacks while at the desk

in summary, the things i dont seem to like for sure involve hectic pace, doing the same thing over and over (tedious), doing things that require concentration (can't relax and daydream while doing it to pass the time), or worse, ones that require both. repeating the same old tired lines to a customer doesn't appeal to me at all, nor does extensive involvement with people. i don't mind talking to people, but i'm a bit more introverted by nature, so i need some time to myself to recover.

i'm not very strong seeing as how i never exercise.
    i don't have much education, i still have no real career goal,
    (adventurer/mage <yes, please>)
    These snippets are what screams to me you have the mentality of a child. Work is for you to pet cats, shoot the breeze, or chill out and listen to music. Work is to make someone else a profit, so you can make a living. Understand that, it doesn't have to be a soul sucking ordeal. Be zen about it, peel the fucking potatoes and go home at the end of the day.

i'm not trying to find a career that i'm good at, but one that i enjoy.
    Getting a job that you are good at will be much more financially rewarding and is what a responsible adult should be looking for first. Once you have that, then you have the luxury to find one you enjoy. Prioritize. If you have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet, too bad, so sad, that is what you have to do.

this whole thread is me trying to help myself find something that gives me a drive. so yeah, id say its a lack of drive seeing as how i've been a little busy with other shit like being rejected by my own family for years. they still barely tolerate me, and ill be glad when i move out again in a couple months.

im looking forward to more constructive input in the meantime.

unlike me, they're rich-ish.
    This thread is actually you wanting other people to help you figure your life out. We are trying to help, but it is up to you to listen to it. Also, your parents don't owe you a damn thing. Stop expecting it and you'll be less depressed when they don't help.

did you miss the part where i was kicked out of the house for years simply for being gay? cause that totally happened. and my parents have never EVER made life comfortable for me. my allowance as a kid was 5 dollars a week. i had to do a bunch of chorse every day for that 5 dollars. they didn't treat us out to dinner often except on birthdays.
    RE: Chores - welcome to how they were supposed to raise you. It was to prepare you for adult life. It didn't seem to help you. sad.

@ what age did they boot you? If it was after 18, you should have been moved out anyway. Don't let your situation define you. There are many people out there that have far better excuses that still manage to be successful. And stop trying to blame other people for stuff, you got fired from cvs because you "couldn't eat", manage your time better or grow a set of nuts to tell your folks to wait 15 minutes, or just deal with a bad day. 24 hours without food isn't going to kill you or make you faint.

Grow the fuck up. You are 31 years old. I've meet teenagers who had their lives better sorted out.