+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

ok tough guy

also

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    you got fired from cvs because you "couldn't eat", manage your time better or grow a set of nuts to tell your folks to wait 15 minutes, or just deal with a bad day. 24 hours without food isn't going to kill you or make you faint.
    it wasn't just fasting 24 hours. i've gone a week without food a few times before and survived. it was no food for almost 2 days, working on black fucking friday on my feet all day, immediately having to go home and lift heavy boxes up and down stairs till 3 am, having 5 hours sleep, then working on my feet all day on a saturday again, at which point i was feeling too exhausted to stand, then getting fired for it then being forced to work until i dropped. and yes, i did tell them i needed to eat. thats just how dysfunctional my family is. maybe you couldve handled it better, tough guy, with your big muscles and military experience, but maybe i am just an ordinary guy who doesn't have superhuman stamina and got pushed to do something my body wasn't prepared for.

and i've never expected my parents to owe me a damn thing except courtesy. the clothes i wear, i paid for, as is pretty much everything i own and it's been that way since i started working at 14. you seem to think im some spoiled rich kid getting free handouts here and there but while my situation could be worse, it's not exactly been a cakewalk either. in fact, my parents pretty much have the exact mind set you do, and it's pretty much done nothing but cause trouble in the family.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    it wasn't just fasting 24 hours. i've gone a week without food a few times before and survived. it was no food for almost 2 days, working on black fucking friday on my feet all day, immediately having to go home and lift heavy boxes up and down stairs till 3 am, having 5 hours sleep, then working on my feet all day on a saturday again, at which point i was feeling too exhausted to stand, then getting fired for it then being forced to work until i dropped. and yes, i did tell them i needed to eat. thats just how dysfunctional my family is. maybe you couldve handled it better, tough guy, with your big muscles and military experience, but maybe i am just an ordinary guy who doesn't have superhuman stamina and got pushed to do something my body wasn't prepared for.
    I have not served, but I do recommend it for people without direction, discipline or drive. And my muscles aren't that big *tee-hee*

Prepare yourself for it, get out and do stuff instead of sitting in your basement playing minecraft and ffxi. You allow yourself to fail, that's why you fail. You say you don't want a sedentary office job, but it seems like that fits your lifestyle. Manual labor jobs are going to push you.

and i've never expected my parents to owe me a damn thing except courtesy. the clothes i wear, i paid for, as is pretty much everything i own and it's been that way since i started working at 14. you seem to think im some spoiled rich kid getting free handouts here and there but while my situation could be worse, it's not exactly been a cakewalk either. in fact, my parents pretty much have the exact mind set you do, and it's pretty much done nothing but cause trouble in the family.
    You may not expect it but they given it to you. Do you pay bills? Or is all of your current income going to paying for you? Have you been able to buy stuff because your parents have enabled you by allowing you to live with them? You were given an inheritance, how much was that?

You can take what I am posting and what your parents are telling you as an attack, but honestly I want to steer you in a direction where you get your shit together. I don't know you, but if I didn't want to help I would have just posted "lol" or x'd the thread all together. You should probably be more introspective on that "caused trouble in the family", they tried to help you but you took it as a slight.

you clearly didn't pay attention to what kind of jobs i've done, or you would know i've done plenty of jobs that involved physical labor and didn't care about that part, and the fact that i despise my office job.

yes, my parents have made me pay rent when i have a job, and i had to pay for my own groceries, gas, school supplies/bills, etc. the rent might be cheaper at 400$ a month but i've hardly been given handouts. as far as the inheritance goes, it was 6k and is long gone, as i had to use it when i was first booted out of the house without a job at 19 years old without warning and without any serious planning on living on my own, and i was between jobs. and it was technically bonds for college, i simply was forced to use them to try and recover while i found a new job.

you seem to be thinking my parents are decent and reasonable beings. they are not. they are hardcore born again christians who vote for trump and have told me to my face they didn't love me and havent since i was a little kid. and i was hardly a rebellious teen- i tried my best to get good grades, i didn't swear, i went to church, i didn't do drugs or alcohol, i didn't throw rowdy parties, i did my chores, and i worked at a job since i was a teen. i never have even gotten a ticket, and the only accident i've been in was when a guy rearended me at a stoplight. i was basically a damn decent kid who tried his best to be a good person.

i'm not wanting a high paying job, i don't care if it's cushy or not. i just want a decent wage that pays the bills and has a little leftover to buy things, a job i enjoy with coworkers that i can mostly enjoy being around (though this is going to be random no matter what the field), and something where i'm not having to bring work home, so to speak. you might call it a lack of drive and ambition, but i simply have different priorities than you do. i've had a pretty stressful life and the last thing i need is a stressful job on top of that. not having a ton of money doesn't stress me out, because i've never had much money and i don't really have that many needs.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zettai Ryouiki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Quote Originally Posted by Auspice View Post
    Join the military; get decent pay and benefits while the government pays to educate you, get job experience, and make contacts. Bonus points for going into an intel or computer related field and make bank as a contractor after a single enlistment.

In before a myriad of bullshit excuses on why it wouldn't work; I've heard them all.

If you want great things; expect great effort.
    This is basically what I ended up doing and it has been a great experience, both in gaining knowledge and networking. I went in as a 25P and I've gotten CNAA, Security+, and Network+ certified in the last year and I'm set to go into the next semester at UMUC via tuition assistance, all of which is covered by uncle Sam.

Certificates aside, the networking is probably the biggest plus - my previous NCOIC that went on terminal leave a month and a half ago left directly into a job with Motorola that's paying him triple for doing the exact same shit he was doing at our TCF.

military is out as well, as i do not do well in that kind of atmosphere. it completely ruins my ability to work when under high pressure or strict discipline. conversely, relaxed atmospheres tend to have me working full throttle. Note, i am not a lazy person at work (i've had three bosses claim i was the best worker they've ever had, and all three of them took me out to dinner for a going away party when i left) but i choke under pressure and make a lot of mistakes, and that's one thing that hasn't improved with the years, sadly.
    It's really down to the company you're with. My previous one had platoon/squad leaders and an XO that loved to micromanage everything which made it a living hell wheras the one I'm currently at is chill as fuck. I think a lot of people see what happens at basic training (and the TRADOC environment in general) and equates it to how the real military operates.

Of course this is coming from someone that has yet to be deployed and is in a comfy position due to being signal. YMMV, especially if you go full hooah into infantry.

edit: just noticed that you're 31. You're running really close to hitting the age cutoff to join the remaining two branches (34 for Army and Navy, IIRC Marines/AF cutoff is 28 or 29) so I'd give it some real thought before it's too late.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Everyone here seems to have been pretty helpful regarding your plight. However, based on your responses to their advice I doubt this thread is going to help you much. At the end of the day it comes down to your attitude regarding your situation. You're still young, an American citizen, with more opportunities and possibilities than 90% of the planet. If you cant make it here bro... I don't mean to sound insulting as that's not my intention, but it's time to start seeing that cup as half full and working the hand you've been dealt.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

He definitely does not want to hear that he needs to put in the effort to get the reward. He is waiting for someone to read every word of his posts and go "AHA! You're the genius that we've been looking for in this field! Come make money and receive prestige, women, and life satisfaction to your heart's content!"

Edit: He reminds me a lot of MaxTM.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

you clearly didn't pay attention to what kind of jobs i've done, or you would know i've done plenty of jobs that involved physical labor and didn't care about that part, and the fact that i despise my office job.
    I thoroughly read your job list. You should not consider what you have done as manual labor. Garden center is not even close to what you would deal with in a trade.

I forgot to mention, when you see entry level positions that say they require a degree or X years experience, you can still apply. 9 times out of 10 they are just shooting high hoping they get someone great, and hoping that it prevents the weak and terrible from clogging up the apps.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

This fucking thread.

Jesus christ.

Suck it up and fucking pay your bills.

Welcome to the human race.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Prior to age 18, I worked in fast food and other stuff like that to make money while I was in high school.

Right after I graduated high school, I started working in retail. Soon, I had a choice: move south with my grandparents (who raised me) and go to college down there, or stay behind in my original hometown and make it on my own. All my friends were here and I had a long-term girlfriend here, so I stayed behind.

After 8 years of retail, I got tired of; 1) working any and all shifts as needed 2) working with a bunch of fucking idiots for management 3) seeing other people come and go (they had the right idea, retail isn't a career, it's a short-term thing) and 4) being coerced by the above store-level management to get into the management training program. I wanted to be a better provider for my family (since I had married the long-term girlfriend I mentioned earlier). So I quit.

I drove a produce delivery truck for a while, while I went to school. After I got finished with school, I got my first basic IT job where I was a 1-man show, everything from help desk to promoting/retiring domain controllers and migrating Exchange. I spent almost 10 years there, while getting my MCSE, CCNA, etc. Now I am a year into my second IT job, where I watch other people deal with help desk issues while I handle the bigger stuff.

My point is, you gotta get your eye on the prize and work for it. If you want to have any possibility of EVER retiring, you have to get yourself on track ASAP. Don't be my brother-in-law, who at age 50, hasn't worked for 9+ years and bums money off my wife for iced tea and cigarettes. You have to provide for yourself because nobody gives fuck-all if you end up homeless or whatever else.

Eye on the prize, do work. Eye on the prize, do work. Life's a grind, but you gotta grind it to be successful.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

If you want slow and relaxed, honestly get some sort of office job. Look into the various counties/cities. Hell where I live, if you have a pulse, can breathe without being reminded, have a thick enough skin to know if you fuck up, your Sergeant is going to give you an ass chewing, you can be a Sheriff's Tech starting off at like 22 an hour plus pension and full benefits and all you do is sit in a glass box, tell inmates to not to buzz you unless it's a god damn emergency, push buttons to unlock doors so inmates or deputies can come in an out, and use a mainframe terminal to pull lists on who has court, visitation or pill call that day and buzz the inmates on the intercom to tell them to get dressed and come out for said reasons. After you do a few years and build up some seniority, you can transfer to other places like the court house, animal control, etc. I'm sure if our Sheriff's office has this type of job classification, just about any other county has similar jobs.

Hell our county hires for everything from food service workers (think cafeteria lady) for various locations, to secretary's to high skill type jobs. If you can't find something you like in a city/government type job, I really don't know what else to tell you.

ive been trying to apply for government jobs actually. unfortunately none of the applications i put in got an appointment. :/ and yeah, one was for cafeteria, and another for store inventory. still jobs i'd probably not enjoy much but they paid much higher at 15-16$ an hour.

and ark, eye on the prize only works if you know what the prize is. this thread is trying to determine what prize i want to aim for in the first place. <.< so far i have a couple suggestions for horticulture, one for ranger, and a whole bunch of "suck it up and find a job (i already have a job) you lazy ass kid.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Border Patrol.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Sath, you predicted correctly.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Right, my point is,

1) Figure out what you want in life
    2) Go get it

The prize isn't the job as you seem to think. The prize is the destination, not the journey. For me, the prize is providing for my family, putting my 7-year-old through college in the future, and keeping myself immersed in expensive tech toys. I go to work to accomplish those things. I do not like getting up and going to work in the morning, but I do it because I have to in order to reach my destination.

Very few people love their job ... those fortunate few that do are the exception rather than the rule. You've got to adjust your expectations.

I think your two best routes have already been touched on in this thread: join the military, or learn a trade.

I stick my dick in Crayfish
    BG Level

You sound just perfect for government work.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Why is it hard to understand the advice that others have given. It is great. Find a skill that you have and market it or find a marketable skill and cultivate it if you don't have a skill already. That will lead to work.

Also not everyone focuses on work as their source of fulfillment in life. You can operate your life that way but for me and many other people a job is a means to an end and the meat of life is what you do outside of work. Hobbies, family, exploration of the world (trips/vacations) etc.

yeah, having a thread asking for advice on how to find a job i at least mostly enjoy, getting advice to shut up and work harder at a job i hate and stop being a spoiled brat for wanting to figure out a career i want to strive toward. such amazing advice. (other than a few people who actually did offer actual advice, and thank you to those.)

not everyone is able to be satisfied with a job that just brings in the cash. some people need a job that has meaning to them.

Going to do a rare chime in.

I remember in the early 2000's my brothers ex-wife (then girlfriend) was bunking with someone else, using a wood set-up as a divider in their living room. Well, she followed my brother into the Air Force, and after years of training and experience now has a job making over 100k. Long gone are the days of being broke, and driving her stalling beat up car that I remember very well.

Let me remind you that she wasn't someone you would think as an ideal candidate either. I would never call her weak but she was a bit girly-girl. The main point is she acquired dedication and drive and made something of it. I have already tried that route as well but cannot join due to a medical condition. Nevertheless, no one should let anything hold them back as we live in a country where there are always options to succeed.

I'd say give the military some meaningful thought at the very least, as I've seen first hand it's a very viable option. Even if it truly turns out not to be your thing, at least you're exploring all of your options.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I've gone 32 years on this planet without smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco. Now I wish I had gotten the chance to enjoy those things if I'd known I'd get cancer anyway from reading this shit thread.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

You're in a bubble.

We aren't going to be able to help you.

+ Reply to Thread