BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I've gone 32 years on this planet without smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco. Now I wish I had gotten the chance to enjoy those things if I'd known I'd get cancer anyway from reading this shit thread.
    Welp. Done here.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    yeah, having a thread asking for advice on how to find a job i at least mostly enjoy, getting advice to shut up and work harder at a job i hate and stop being a spoiled brat for wanting to figure out a career i want to strive toward. such amazing advice. (other than a few people who actually did offer actual advice, and thank you to those.)

not everyone is able to be satisfied with a job that just brings in the cash. some people need a job that has meaning to them.
    The problem is that there are so many factors going into choosing a job based on your personality that we do not know as well as the specific area you live in we can't make that choice for you. I could sit here and list of random jobs around the world all day long but you can google that yourself and it will be the exact same. You can't just find a magical job and go get it. You have to use certain criteria that people have mentioned here in order to narrow down your choices to help you decide.

The type of advice you say you are asking for just isn't really possible. The closes you will get is "government job" or "military" but that doesn't help you much because then you have to ask "What do you want to do for them?" which I don't think BG can answer for you.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

W = Fd

the more force you apply, and the longer you apply it, the more work you get done - and the better your life will be.

that's really everything right there. and that includes finding a career. don't know what you want to do? hmm, interesting. how long have you spent researching careers? how much time have you spent journaling and soul-searching? have you gone to a therapist or sought out other forms of career counseling? a large portion of the work involved in finding your career isn't in finding the job itself - it's in finding out what you want. posting on BG will maybe give you some ideas, but no one here can tell you the right job for you. but the job isn't really the question.

wait, what do I mean the job isn't the question? well as other people have said, life is a compromise. maybe you'll need to work in that boring office until you've earned enough money to go to school to get a better career. maybe not. but either way, unless you luck out - and hey, some people do - you'll have to sacrifice something. what's your ultimate goal? is it to make enough money to travel freely without spending any more time in the trenches than you have to? you'll probably have to work a job you don't like. is it to enjoy your time spent working regardless of income? you probably won't live too comfortably. is it to find a job that thrills you and also makes you enough money to be comfortable? you'll probably have to work your fucking ass off for years before you get that position, if ever (or maybe even start your own business, which is a whole other set of sacrifices).

luck aside, nothing good in life comes easy. no one here is going to tell you what you want out of life, which is really the question here. employment and personal life are inextricably intertwined and it's up to you to figure out the right balance between the two. good luck. we'd all be rooting for you, but we're too busy rooting for ourselves, honestly. welcome to life!

all philosophical goobledy-gook aside, I have one concrete piece of advice for you: GET A THERAPIST OR CAREER COUNSELOR. SOMEONE WHO SPECIALIZES IN THIS SHIT. DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT. there's no reason for you to try and figure this all out alone - there are people who get paid to help you, and who can do a better job than any of us. DO IT. SERIOUSLY. I CANNOT OVERSTATE HOW HELPFUL THIS WILL BE.

please note that I will not reply to this thread any further, as it is indeed cancer. I've barely got my shit together; I can't help you any more than I (hopefully) just did. seriously though.... good luck. unless you're aiming for the same jobs as me in which case DIAF

Spoiler: show
    also Sath I hope you appreciate my use of physics in a life lesson.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

yeah, having a thread asking for advice on how to find a job i at least mostly enjoy, getting advice to shut up and work harder at a job i hate and stop being a spoiled brat for wanting to figure out a career i want to strive toward. such amazing advice. (other than a few people who actually did offer actual advice, and thank you to those.)

not everyone is able to be satisfied with a job that just brings in the cash. some people need a job that has meaning to them.
    You are not a special snowflake. Nothing you have experienced or will experience is any different than anyone else. The sooner you figure that out, the better off you will be.

i would argue that everyone is a special snowflake, as everyone has had different experiences from everyone else. unless you're implying that everyone is linked together like a hivemind, in which case i mustve missed the memo.

sure there may be common threads in most people, but everyones experiences and interpretation of those experiences is going to be different.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    You are not a special snowflake. Nothing you have experienced or will experience is any different than anyone else. The sooner you figure that out, the better off you will be.
    Have you ever experienced a lizard licking cocaine off your dick? Because I'm pretty sure that is fairly unique.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    Have you ever experienced a lizard licking cocaine off your dick? Because I'm pretty sure that is fairly unique.
    that's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard. because why the hell would anyone waste perfectly good cocaine on a fucking lizard??

well, maybe wop would.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Dear Psion,

You need to find a trade so you can make decent money and maybe go to school for something you enjoy. You are only in your 30s, you have plenty of time. Look into automotive, TV and appliance repair, cable technician, etc. There will always be a need for technical jobs like those.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    W = Fd

the more force you apply, and the longer you apply it, the more work you get done - and the better your life will be.
    I didn't even read the rest of your post. I just want to point out that W=F*d is not force * time. It's force * distance.

Not even Physics gives a single solitary fuck how long or how hard you try at something. If you haven't moved forward, you haven't done shit.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    I didn't even read the rest of your post. I just want to point out that W=F*d is not force * time. It's force * distance.

Not even Physics gives a single solitary fuck how long or how hard you try at something. If you haven't moved forward, you haven't done shit.
    oh hush, it's a metaphor. the more force you apply and the greater the distance over which you apply it (using time instead of physical distance for the metaphor), the more work is done.

just roll with it man, geez

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    oh hush, it's a metaphor. the more force you apply and the greater the distance over which you apply it, the more work is done.

just roll with it man, geez
    Oh, no, I think it's a perfect metaphor. I think it's perfect because Work has no time dependence. I think it's important that people realize that just "putting effort" into something isn't enough. If the place you are right now is the same place you were 10 years ago, then you haven't really done anything at all.

If you're cool with where you are, then whatever. No one here really cares all that much about what any of the rest of us do with our lives. If you want to move forward, though, just put the damn horse in front of the fucking cart and go.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

i would argue that everyone is a special snowflake, as everyone has had different experiences from everyone else. unless you're implying that everyone is linked together like a hivemind, in which case i mustve missed the memo.

sure there may be common threads in most people, but everyones experiences and interpretation of those experiences is going to be different.
    My bad you seem to have life figured out.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    Oh, no, I think it's a perfect metaphor. I think it's perfect because Work has no time dependence. I think it's important that people realize that just "putting effort" into something isn't enough. If the place you are right now is the same place you were 10 years ago, then you haven't really done anything at all.

If you're cool with where you are, then whatever. No one here really cares all that much about what any of the rest of us do with our lives. If you want to move forward, though, just put the damn horse in front of the fucking cart and go.
    I can dig that. see: going to school for years... in order to avoid actually having to do something real with your life. lol

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I've gone 32 years on this planet without smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco. Now I wish I had gotten the chance to enjoy those things if I'd known I'd get cancer anyway from reading this shit thread.
    L O FREAKIN L

/thread

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

bagger boy, age 14ish?-
    yeah, bagging groceries at food lion...so exciting. right. <_<; needless to say, i didn't enjoy doing this, as it was tedious and boring, but i didn't hate hate it. the main thing that ground me was doing the same old tired greetings for customer after customer, and i'm not a big people person to begin with. stayed here quite a while though, cause it was north carolina and i was a kid so not many jobs i could work at that age anyways.

ice cream scooper, baskin robbins, age 18ish -
    meh. still sucked, hated when people ordered pistachio nut and the damn ice cream was as hard as a rock, but whatever... it wasn't terribly bad. plus free samples. main issues were the horrid noise when a bunch of customers came in. later on i got promoted to:

cake decorater, baskin robbins, age 19ish-
    this was actually kind of fun in a way, which might be partly why i worked here for almost 3 years. i took down customer orders for cakes, helped them pick designs, and built them. main cons were the fact i was often having to rush rush rush because i was the only semicompetent person in the store, due to there never being any store managers and everyone else was lazy ass teens who refused to help me with cleaning the floors or anything. this resulted in me having to literally do the job of a janiter, store manager, and cake decorator in one. also i now despise the scent of buttercream to this day. (i have a sensitive nose.) and speaking of that sensitivity, the jacket i had to use while putting away ice cream tubs hadn't been washed in years, and oh yeah, i was having to do weekly inventories and closing out the cash register/deposit money in the bank because the store owner had no one else she could trust and she was busy trying to run her other store because there was no store manager to help her. <_<;

main pros were being able to be artistic, and not having to interact with people too much, but what interactions there were, were all the fun kind where you make small talk and such. did i mention the free samples?

sales rep, armstrong garden center, age 21ish-
    this is probably the job i enjoyed most of all, and the only one i can say i somewhat liked overall. i talked to people, helped them solve their garden issues in a relaxed manner, go to show off my knowledge of plants, and when not helping customers i was taking care of the plants, dodging maneating spiders first thing in the morning, and keeping the place tidy. cons to this job was the store manager (who was always telling me to move faster, faster), the afformentioned maneating spiders (WHY DOES A SPIDER NEED A WEB 12 FEET ACROSS OVER A PATHWAY? although said manager did wind up walking facefirst into one and freaking out which was hilarious to watch.), and being designated the keeper of the roses, which means i had to keep them pruned and tidy, especially during the later winter and early fall months. did i mention armstrong specialized in rose bushes? and that there is a rose variety called mr burnes after the simpsons charactor, with radioactive yellow and red spash color, and whos stem is literally nothing but thorn? seriously, you cannot see the stem, its just thorn. anyways, i don't think i could've donated blood since it was all feeding the rose bushes.

major pros were working outdoors, not having to stand or sit in one place all day, and the work wasn't repetitive, but also not often fast paced. (eventually i got transferred to a closer branch, with a relaxed manager who was fun to work with and even bought his employees soda/hot chocolate on occasion.) i also got to work with plants and learn more about different species, then apply that knowledge. overall the job was pretty enjoyable, and i didn't wake up dreading every day.

customer service/cashier, petsmart, age 23ish-
    oh gods. nothing good about this one. noisy, smelled of wet dog, and never any spare time to actually pet the cats. also, the manager was racist and a sadist, and eventually led to me quitting in disgust. literally, i left the job and told the other store managers why, after hearing her using racial slurs yet again and belittling everyone for slacking off.

barrista/cashier, barnes and noble, age -24ish -
    got this job soon after petsmart somehow (i neglected to mention it in my resume :D) and ironically it was nextdoor to it. a month after starting the job, a former coworker came in and told me the store manager that caused me to leave, was caught dancing in front of the security cams at night, making lewd gestures and dancing while using racial slurs in a singsong tone). needless to say, she got fired, lol. cons in this job.... having to handle rush hours, THE SMELL OF COFFEE ARRRGH IT CLINGS, a massive type A personality supervisor who discouraged even minor talking between employees, and probably the worst was having them often assigning me to a night shift where we got out at 11 pm only really it was closer to 12 because they made us baristas help the booksellers sort the store after closing, then assigned me to the 7 am shift the next day. yeah, 6 hours of sleep. not cool.

pros were dishes needed to be washed and everyone was too lazy to do them so i wound up eventually just chilling in the back listening to music while cleaning everything most of the day, so not much having to deal with customers or coffee. :D also the store was fairly quiet even during rush hour.

cashier, CVS, age 25ish-
    another cashier job, another minimum wage job, hurray. major cons were the bosses never allowed you to stand still even for a minute, even during slow times, and no talking between employees. if there were no customers they'd make you clean, sort shelves, or something, then get mad at you for not being at the cash register already when customers came because you were sorting shelves. <.< I don't think i had any pros for this job. it just sucked, and eventually i had it terminated when my parents decided to move on black friday, were upset that i couldn't get the day off (wtf?), made me help them move despite having stood on my feet all day and having not eaten yet right after work, doing so until 3 am still without food, then when i had to work the next morning i naturally
    started feeling faint and unable to stand after a few hours, asked the bosses if i could go home early while explaining the situation. they said no, i said i needed to anyways, and yeah. >.>

then my parents screamed at me for getting fired despite it being their damn fault, made me help them move some more immediately, and didn't let up until my legs gave out while carrying a box down the stairs and wound up taking the gravity route along with it, while somehow miraculously avoiding breaking my neck. after this, i avoid CVS like the plague due to trauma.

glassware wash technician (aka dishwasher for a lab), eurofins calscience, age 29ish-
    this was pretty boring and the lead supervisor was a horribly grumpy woman who frightened small children and whos gaze would turn employees to stone. fortunately, we didn't see her much, and she didn't have any quarrel with me so i was mostly safe from her ire. the job itself was mostly glorified dishwashing, only with beakers and flasks and chemical soap instead of dish detergent. major cons involved the fact that the lab tested all sorts of substances, which sometimes involved heating things up, which sometimes involved dead flesh of animals or cow manure. > needless to say, having the entire building smell like burning cow shit or rotten fish isn't terribly pleasant, though thankfully this was rare. most samples were various water sources, ::most:: of which weren't raw sewage or fracking waste. other cons were well, washing dishes all day and standing in one spot, as well as having to occasionally handle sulfuric acid to clean some glassware, and methaline cloride for a lot, which is a carcinogen and also the stuff evaporates faster than alcohol and WILL give you a minor frostbite through two layers of gloves just from evaporating. not enough to lose fingers over, but having your fingers feel like they're on fire from room temperature water for several minutes isn't fun.

major pros were the people... everyone in the lab was friendly and relaxed, and the supervisor was the most so of all. people would sometimes come help wash dishes with me when they were bored and waiting on their experiments to run, mostly as an excuse for them to chat. this included the supervisor, haha. he actually encouraged talking between employees so long as work wasnt disturbed, and kept everyone smiling. i was also allowed to use earbuds and listen to music while working too, so even though the work itself was tedious and boring, it was something i could do while daydreaming so it wasn't so bad, other than having a sore back from bending over all day.

data entry clerk, medical records copy service, age 31-
    which leads me to my current job... it kinda sucks. ok, it really sucks. its far away, it only pays 11$ an hour, and it's both tedious and requires concentration, AND you can't listen to music, AND you don't really get to talk to coworkers. so basically, no daydreaming, no music, its silent as a crypt, and you're on your ass all day. it's easy in that im a fast typer and familiar with computers, but the days crawl by and its both far away and low paying. it's only been three weeks and i already want out.

major pros include being able to eat stacks while at the desk and the fact that i probably will never misspell the word "received" again in my lifetime.
    You have the kind of resume I'd hire to become one of the myriad of casual based banquet servers under my heel.

in summary, the things i dont seem to like for sure involve hectic pace, doing the same thing over and over (tedious), doing things that require concentration (can't relax and daydream while doing it to pass the time), or worse, ones that require both. repeating the same old tired lines to a customer doesn't appeal to me at all, nor does extensive involvement with people. i don't mind talking to people, but i'm a bit more introverted by nature, so i need some time to myself to recover.
    You also have the kind of attitude I'd fire within a couple of shifts.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

In short, you're terrible.

i'm terrible for wanting to work at a job i enjoy. i'm terrible for asking others advice on trying to figure out jobs i might enjoy so i can work toward that goal. i'm terrible for apparantly having a secret additude problem that apparently none of my bosses can see because they complimented me on being their best worker, and i'm pretty sure it wasn't for being lazy and an ass. right.

in short, you're terrible.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

You aren't terrible for wanting a job you enjoy. You're terrible for not accepting advice.

Like the botanist idea?

Go back to school at night, take out loans, become a botanist.

Life has dealt you a pretty shitty hand. Especially with your folks. Consider moving somewhere far away. Ditch em. You don't need them for anything.

Move to a place that has a dearth of jobs.

Pick from this list.

You say you don't have a lot of possessions? Drop what you don't need and move.

Get outside, go work on a fucking oil field for a little bit. They pay a ton. http://www.indeed.com/q-Oil-Field-l-Texas-jobs.html

Work for the National Park Service - They ARE hiring. https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?keywo...k%20service%27

There are SO many possibilities. Open your fucking eyes.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Get a job as a meeting planner at Spargo. You can get in with no experience or education as a conference coordinator or some shit and actually get on a decent career path. You'll even get to travel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast