+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

i live next to irvine, california. there's plenty of jobs, yes, but they are all bachelor degree types. :/ likewise, garden grove is much lower down on the list, and that's where my last two jobs were... but they were low pay jobs, as in minimum wage. which... i guess is reflected in that site, as irvine, anaheim, and santa ana are all nearbyish and listed as the top 3 for lowest wages compared to standard of living. <_<; crap. guess i really DID wind up in the worst spot to live.

as far as moving goes, i'm open to the idea and giving it serious thought, i'm just worried because of the catch-22 im in of not getting paid enough to have a back up savings while adjusting to a new area, because im living in a terrible area. i may have to take that risk, though.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    i live next to irvine, california. there's plenty of jobs, yes, but they are all bachelor degree types. :/ likewise, garden grove is much lower down on the list, and that's where my last two jobs were... but they were low pay jobs, as in minimum wage. which... i guess is reflected in that site, as irvine, anaheim, and santa ana are all nearbyish and listed as the top 3 for lowest wages compared to standard of living. <_<; crap. guess i really DID wind up in the worst spot to live.

as far as moving goes, i'm open to the idea and giving it serious thought, i'm just worried because of the catch-22 im in of not getting paid enough to have a back up savings while adjusting to a new area, because im living in a terrible area. i may have to take that risk, though.
    Having a few shitty months and then a bunch of great years is far better than the reverse.

point taken. i'm just worried about getting stuck on the streets due to not finding a job immediately to pay rent/food from moving far away. once you get stuck down there its one hell of an uphill climb back.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I read the TS's posts in this voice:

http://poorsanguine.ytmnd.com/

Someone please kill me.

All I read from OP's posts is that he's got the wrong mindset. The same as when I started, thought I would get what I deserve, but the truth is nobody ever deserves anything - you have to take what you want and work towards it. And if you don't know what you want, do some workshops, try out some things, and give things a shot.

So how long are we going to recycle the same thing over and over? I'm just basically repeating what others have said.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Enedin View Post
    I'm just basically repeating what others have said.
    OP just isn't getting the message. He's delusional. It won't go on much longer before everyone gives up, or it gets locked.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I've gone 32 years on this planet without smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco. Now I wish I had gotten the chance to enjoy those things if I'd known I'd get cancer anyway from reading this shit thread.
    I just pretty much did the "ohhhhhhhhhh snap black guys whoopin'" gif in real life to this.

I dunno, it's pretty telling how quick some of you guys are to kick him to the curb largely because the system failed him. I'll be the first to admit I carry around my own hefty dose of cynicism, but my attempt at the idealistic view of society is that we're meant to help one another to make things better for everyone. Part of that obligation is to obviously prevent people from falling through the cracks. The push to trim the societal fat, as it were, is more an attempt to sweep the problem under the rug than to address it.

Pragmatically, we should probably trace it back to his upbringing, and more specifically, schooling. We're not exactly living in an America where trades are presented early on to help kids find their niche when survival isn't their concern. The school I personally went to didn't have wood or auto shop classes, or even home economics. And while we did have art and music classes, it was pretty obvious they were low priority compared to other features and didn't exactly branch into specifics like aspects of theater or cinematography. Being more creatively minded, myself, a stronger art program would've done me and others like me good, instead of leaving that more to predatory colleges where the first year or more is this horrible hodgepodge of people who shouldn't be there sucking up teacher time relative to those who actually do have talent and couldn't get the pointers they needed to crush some bad habits/mistakes because the teachers were way too distracted, overwhelmed, or maybe not even all that skilled, themselves. And do I really need to talk about how debt incurring the collegiate process is?

Overall, I've done enough internet lurking mixed with RL experience to know people love to treat artists like shit. Yet, we're so desperate to consume media that there's almost infinitely lost potential for reasons I stated earlier alongside how the various industries within the field itself have come to work. Ever found yourself bitching about movie reboots/recycling or even hating how shit like 50 Shades gets so popular? That's a symptom of us inevitably taking the upbringing of talent up the wrong way, keeping it out of reach, deeming it not important. People still try, of course, and some are lucky enough to "make it" in the end, but fuck if you don't see parental eye rolling when a kid wants to be something not-a-doctor/lawyer/rocket scientist/<insert stereotypically wealthy job here>.

The world simply does not need 7 billion iterations of those professions. And that's where the bootstraps mentality inevitably fails. Do some professions yield a more immediate impact on society? Absolutely. Doesn't mean the ever-stereotyped janitor or burger flipper is a waste of human flesh. Things will always need cleaned. People will always need to eat. Such are demands, why short circuit them? There's also always more to the equation, and an (un)healthy part of that is simply luck. Where you're born. How you're raised. When you apply for something. How many other people are applying against you. The mood of a potential employer when they read your app or at the time of the interview if you get that far. Even race and gender, despite how progressive some us may believe ourselves.

Seguing back to my attempt at optimism, the whole, "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness..." the country was founded around didn't have an implied, "Except for..." to it. He's not saying he doesn't want to work. He's not juvenile for knowing there are some things he doesn't want in his life. Maybe some are dealing with one giant case of economic Stockholm Syndrome, but we're collectively fucking up, have been fucking up, and will continue to fuck up if we just stay the course. Some are just feeling the ramifications less than others. That's not really a reason to forego empathy or sympathy, however. Don't have a solution? That's cool. It's understandably a complex issue even if just trying to limit it all to an individual. Yet, if you want to willfully believe someone on their own shouldn't have a comfortable life, not to be confused with luxury and excess, working a 40 hour work week, there's a good chance you're part of the problem. And it's a problem America really does need to tackle if they want to keep babbling about being the #1 country in the world. Current election cycle in mind, I can't even begin to say we're close to what's needed, either. Which obviously doesn't help those hurting now.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

...wow

Remember to take your meds today, bud.

Hey, if something like a good 4-H program could've turned him on to his green thumb at a younger age, this topic probably wouldn't even be happening.

I get the sarcasm toward the political slant of it all, but I'd argue things like healthcare, OWS, clamoring for minimum wage hikes, and more recently Bernie's rise are all related indicators to the growing discontent that's going on. He's not the only person to get stuck in this kind of rut, regardless of whether or not he's better off than someone else.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

What the fuck happened in here?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    [~~Be nice to him you guys! I even got my soapbox out and everything!~~]
    Look, simply put, the dude needs to learn to put up with a bunch of the things he doesn't like (such as effectively "dealing with people" and "working at an office") if he ever wants to have a chance making decent money at a job where he isn't breaking his back or blowing someone. It is as simple as that. He has had 10 years to figure out what he wants to work towards, but hasn't really worked towards anything. Telling him that it isn't his fault, the world isn't fair, and that we are being too hard on him isn't going to help him.

He needs to suck it up and do better. Or not, and spend another 40+ years working lower tier crappy paying jobs wishing life was somehow magically better. No one here can give him magical specific life advice, just general best practices to improve the odds of success.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

I just came in to say the post about getting cancer is taken from a popular meme and I'm surprised more of you haven't seen it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It was properly used and fucking roasted the thread. That's what memes are for.

So it's time for memes then?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    He needs to suck it up and do better. Or not, and spend another 40+ years working lower tier crappy paying jobs wishing life was somehow magically better. No one here can give him magical specific life advice, just general best practices to improve the odds of success.
    My "soapbox" is just trying to hard counter the "Be a Chief!" stigma floating around, which is inevitably carrying the sub-text that being an Indian is shit and will forever be as such.

Not just for his sake, but that really does need to change. Some will evolve into their own form of chief based on skill, ambition, and other factors you might be trying to emphasize, yeah. While others may never at all, or not even want to. Should that justify being at/near poverty and being among the working poor?

The defense of the current system really is cyclical. Bust your butt to get into the middle class? Of course seeing "lazy" people wind up being capable of living both happily and comfortably would breed resentment. You might even wonder why anyone would ever work hard again if that were the case. Fundamentally, some would benefit on refreshing themselves or researching why both the minimum wage came to be and the rise of the 40 hour work week.

So, what's changed between then and now? Technology for sure, but I'd wager not so much on the people front. People got just as lost then. People still had family they needed to provide for. People just wanted to be people, not replaceable cogs in an uncaring workforce. And that's a distinguishing factor between being that proverbial Indian or some mindless drone.

Life isn't fair, correct, but we could be doing a better job of remedying what unfairness there is. That's not 100% on the individual even if they have made mistakes.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    My "soapbox" is just trying to hard counter the "Be a Chief!" stigma floating around, which is inevitably carrying the sub-text that being an Indian is shit and will forever be as such.

Not just for his sake, but that really does need to change. Some will evolve into their own form of chief based on skill, ambition, and other factors you might be trying to emphasize, yeah. While others may never at all, or not even want to. Should that justify being at/near poverty and being among the working poor?

The defense of the current system really is cyclical. Bust your butt to get into the middle class? Of course seeing "lazy" people wind up being capable of living both happily and comfortably would breed resentment. You might even wonder why anyone would ever work hard again if that were the case. Fundamentally, some would benefit on refreshing themselves or researching why both the minimum wage came to be and the rise of the 40 hour work week.

So, what's changed between then and now? Technology for sure, but I'd wager not so much on the people front. People got just as lost then. People still had family they needed to provide for. People just wanted to be people, not replaceable cogs in an uncaring workforce. And that's a distinguishing factor between being that proverbial Indian or some mindless drone.

Life isn't fair, correct, but we could be doing a better job of remedying what unfairness there is. That's not 100% on the individual even if they have made mistakes.
    This is a lot of heavy-handed idealism, which is bad, but especially bad as that it's idealism from a very narrow life view that many of us here don't even agree with.

Worst of all, you're not actually helping the guy. Want change? Great. Awesome. Good for you. Go out and change shit. Don't coddle this shithead's lack of motivation and desire to special snowflake his way through life because you think the system is broken. The system may be broken, but bills still need to be paid even if you don't agree with paying them.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I don't even know where to start with this pie-in-the-sky, bad analogy laden bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    This is a lot of heavy-handed idealism, which is bad, but especially bad as that it's idealism from a very narrow life view that many of us here don't even agree with.

Worst of all, you're not actually helping the guy. Want change? Great. Awesome. Good for you. Go out and change shit. Don't coddle this shithead's lack of motivation and desire to special snowflake his way through life because you think the system is broken. The system may be broken, but bills still need to be paid even if you don't agree with paying them.
    I wasn't quite able to put into words how I feel about arus2001's posts in this thread until I read that. Eloquent as fuck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast