1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 46 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 46 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Fan Festival 2016 in Las Vegas Live Stream Available for Purchase!

From here http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...2426fad9037cec

We’re pleased to announce that the Fan Festival 2016 in Las Vegas live stream is now available for purchase! Experience all of the fun from the comfort of your own home and receive the exclusive in-game bonus items!

Players looking to enjoy every minute of the Fan Festival 2016 in Las Vegas won’t want to miss this offer!

Price: $29.99
    • HD resolution
    • All main stage content, including fun shows like:
    • Opening keynote by Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida
    • Development and lore panels led by members of the dev. team
    • Piano concert featuring Susan Calloway on Friday night
    • The Primals concert on Saturday night
    • Stream segments with various special guests
    • A bonus item code for the Fan Festival 2016 in Las Vegas-exclusive Wind-up Rikku minion, and your choice of either the Abes attire or High Summoner attire
    • Access to the archived footage after the event until August 31, 2017

Hosted on the official Fan Festival 2016 in Las Vegas live stream site
    (http://ffxivfanfestival.cleeng.com)

Simply visit the live stream site and follow the instructions to purchase your ticket, or you can click here for detailed step-by-step instructions.

Your purchase receipt will include the in-game bonus item code along with details on how to redeem it (which can also be found here). Please be aware that only one Fan Festival 2016 in Las Vegas in-game item code can be redeemed per service account. For example, you cannot redeem an item code received at the event and a live stream item code on one service account.

Please Note:
    The content of the Las Vegas, Tokyo, and Frankfurt Fan Festival streams will be different and each show’s live stream will include different minion bonus items.
    Please note that purchasing the Las Vegas stream will not grant access to the other Fan Festival live streams.

The archived footage, coupled with the in-game bonus item code, will no longer be available for purchase after August 31, 2017.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Minion hoarders are going to be mad.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

i'd love to find out what makes this worth $29.99

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Retards get to imagine the whiff of Yoshi-P's asscrack most likely. Gotta please their god.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    The live letter review of 3.4 content that will be about a month old by then.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

just glad im not addicted to minions. $90 for 3 of them is so lulzy

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Yoshida walks out on stage clad in Samurai garb. He clears his throat and very broken english says. "Are you wredy fohr new class? Today I proudly annouce.. Geomahnca and.. ...Rehd Maj!"

Head line news that sweaty anxiety filled nerds murder foreigner at event held in Las Vegas.

That would be worth $29.99.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wasn't last year like 5 bucks? Was expecting 10 at most but 30 wtf.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It was $20, but all three had the same reward. (The stupid moogle glamour)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    It was $20, but all three had the same reward. (The stupid moogle glamour)
    Yeah that totally would of been fine.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Wow, sadly they will make bank on this lol.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

There doesn't seem to be a free stream to watch this year, if that's the case then bankroll will be made.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I dunno, don't people restream stuff like this on free sites or is that just the chinese who do that for pay idol shit on niconico that I watch?
    It's fucking sad how much money these assholes are wringing out of the playerbase though. What's worse is that idiots will pay it and just keep proving to SE that people with too much money will buy anything.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's almost pure profit for them too. Generally for "big events" Twitch sponsors streams with their own equipment and techs. That said even if SE is paying the bill, don't try to tell me that streaming for a combined total of naybe 12 hours costs so much that they need to charge this much to offset it.

Can't wait for them to start charging $10~20 for live letter streams for all the Yoshida fanclub members to enjoy

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I know many of the vocal people on BG have said the only two MMOs they've played are FFXI and FFXIV. But is it that common to not have experience with other online events or conventions?

Each Fan Fest costs them over $1 million. They seem to have sold something close to 4000 tickets to the NA Fan Fest (1800 advance sale tickets + 1450 general sale tickets last time, and "a lot more tickets available" this time). At $135 per ticket that's about $540k revenue there. Online streaming is $30 per event, so they'd need to sell over 15,000 of those per event just to break even on ticket sales alone. The premium stream didn't have that many viewers last time when it was priced at $20.

Of course there are other costs associated with the sale of these tickets such as the ticket sale fees, streaming provider fees, bandwidth, and field production (which I'm sure they're spending more on, especially for the 2 concerts this time around).

Blizzcon is also a 2 day event and a virtual ticket for that costs $40. EVE Fan Fest physical tickets have gone from costing $145 in 2013 to $220 in 2016 for an event that hosts half the number of people that FFXIV's does. That's just inflation, market changes, and larger events.

So prices are in line with the competition (a bit cheaper), they likely aren't even breaking even on each event, and we're getting 2 concerts this year.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Way to make me feel bad >.> Fine I'll pay up.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

You aren't accounting for all the gained subscribers they make off this, all the new people that will buy their game or all the people that will be hyped for the new expansion and pre-order it. It's a business move, they don't just host these fan fests for the fans, they do it for business reasons. Same concept as a TV/internet commercial.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Sure I am! I mean they do that almost 10 times a year in the form of Live Letters in addition to them attending almost all of the major industry events and conventions. At these events they have some of the largest booths SE has ever had, especially at things like Gamescom.

But Fan Fest is a different beast. There's a reason why ticket prices to these sorts of events - both inside and outside the gaming world (seriously, these prices are standard for many types of events) - tend to cost a lot. It's because they are incredibly expensive and difficult to host - and they're doing 3 of these around the world. Not to mention the fact that the marketing spending around it is likely pretty big. The CGI trailer they produce and reveal at Fan Fest costs close to $1 million itself (the End of an Era trailer cost $3 million).

I'm not saying you have to find it worth the price, I'm just responding to the people that are saying they are making profit off the event itself or implying that this is somehow a relatively high price. They aren't making profit off the event and they are charging less than the competition.

Yoshi-P: With such strong support from the fans, I'd really like to give back to them as much as possible in the future. Since the game has become so profitable for Square Enix, we can use that money to return the favor to our fans with the Fan Festivals or by putting it into development costs for new content. Source

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I get that they're doing the same thing as pretty much everyone else who runs an MMO (Except for the ones that don't charge a startup fee, or the ones that don't charge a sub fee, or the ones that don't have a cash shop on top of a sub fee...) But when you consider the grand total a player is asked to pay for the game and all of its accessories, it gets pretty ridiculous, and that is the problem I have with it. It's not just this one fee to watch nerds do nerdy shit on a stream. It's that they charge money for what amounts to more cash shop shit, and this is on top of what they already make from startup fees, sub fees and cash shop.

The cost to reward ratio with XIV is completely skewed. 30$, that's like buying an expansion. Or like buying a freaking SINGLE MOUNT on the cash shop. It's a fan fest, it's supposed to be a celebration of/for fans of the game, so of course they are going to have to eat some cost because it is a superfluous event. However, you'd think some of that fat cash shop money would be covering it so the costs could be less for dedicated players who already spend a crapton of extra money on their game but as we've never been able to figure out where that cash shop money actually does go (no evidence that it goes back into the game) then you gotta wonder why you have to pay 30$ for a stream and a minion.

The possibility I have to consider is that in all likelihood, the playerbase for the game has dropped off severely since the fanfest was planned and that's why costs have gone up. Not enough people paying subs or buying reskinned BS from their shop. Thus we find them trying to recoup as much cost as possible for a fanfest that was looking a bit brighter back when they booked the location. Or maybe they're still doing just fine and they want to see how many people will pay the cost. Who knows? We can't know. But it's still quite annoying that the cost to reward ratio is so skewed in the world of XIV.

Btw, I'm not saying it's right for other games that employ similar practices to charge this much for a livestream of their fanfest either. Between that, cash shops, and collector's editions that add almost nothing of value extra, it's like they're all trying to see how much money players are willing to spend. That has never sat right with me. I get that it's a business but I am constantly amazed how much money people will throw at virtual goods. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I remember when MMOs were a set price per month and that was that. I was happy with that.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Btw, I'm not saying it's right for other games that employ similar practices to charge this much for a livestream of their fanfest either.
    ^ $40 for the privilege to watch a stream has always and forever will be a stupid practice. Adding it on top of the layers and layers of bullshit micro(not-so-micro really) transactions, sub fees, etc. just feels wrong. Yeah, not everyone will buy every new thing in the cash shop, but you'd be surprised how many people do because they see a new shiny thing that they need to have and Yoshida is the king of expensive carrots on a stick. I mean, every single progression patch is just that.