+ Reply to Thread
    i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

BG Wiki Collaborative Guides

Figured I would make a thread for this.

Posted an inquiry on Reddit to the willingness of people in the community to work together on guides for every job on the wiki. There was a good amount of people who were, and thus 22 fresh pages were born.

Job Guides section here.

Discuss!

I guess I'll be the first to comment...

While I think it's a good idea, a lot of the information in some of the guides (Summoner for example) is either incorrect or extremely bloated. I would not want to reference a new player to a guide like that, especially with the huge amount of incorrect personal opinions. As an example, it has a large section on Phoenix (which Summoner cannot use in any way) and it calls multiple things, like our Mana Cede ability, "garbage." There's more things than that I disagree with, but yeah.

The guide may be on the wiki, but I don't really feel like I can edit it (its not my guide), nor would I want to in the mess that it's in. Right now, there is some helpful info in there, but a lot of it simply misleads players.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Crevox View Post
    I guess I'll be the first to comment...

While I think it's a good idea, a lot of the information in some of the guides (Summoner for example) is either incorrect or extremely bloated. I would not want to reference a new player to a guide like that, especially with the huge amount of incorrect personal opinions. As an example, it has a large section on Phoenix (which Summoner cannot use in any way) and it calls multiple things, like our Mana Cede ability, "garbage." There's more things than that I disagree with, but yeah.

The guide may be on the wiki, but I don't really feel like I can edit it (its not my guide), nor would I want to in the mess that it's in. Right now, there is some helpful info in there, but a lot of it simply misleads players.
    This guide in question is not a collaborative guide, but a private guide by a single user. Bloated goes with the title "comprehensive". But, yes you can't edit a private guide, as per the header description.

The choice of nonusable avatars by them doesn't really matter at all as it is just some fluff they liked.

Overall, it is of their opinion, and anyone is welcome to set up the collaborative guide for any job despite an existing guide or two. Essentially it is public vs private guides, and public ones can be addressed while private are at the authors discretion.

I just assumed it was collaborative considering it was on that job guides page and it seems to blanket them all as collaborative, but I guess I misunderstood. I didn't read the tag at the top of the actual guide's page or noticed any difference between the orange boxes that look almost the same.

I suppose it would be helpful if it was more clearly marked as a private guide on the job guides page, but it seems you are not naming the collaborative guides anything but "collaborative guide."

Just confusing.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The colors for the guide and collaborative guide have changed now to make it easier to distinguish. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sorry for the necro bump but I didn't want to start a new thread and this question is somewhat related to a collaborative guide.
    I would like to make a Dynamis Divergence guide but my wiki account has broken( it says my password is incorrect and wont let reset it and it sends me in circles to make a new one). What can I do to fix this issue? Whom can I contact? Thnx.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Mikumaru View Post
    Sorry for the necro bump but I didn't want to start a new thread and this question is somewhat related to a collaborative guide.
    I would like to make a Dynamis Divergence guide but my wiki account has broken( it says my password is incorrect and wont let reset it and it sends me in circles to make a new one). What can I do to fix this issue? Whom can I contact? Thnx.
    Nah, this is the right place for the question. I passed it along. Sorry you are having issues with loging in. It isn't uncommon.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

What error do you exactly get? Is this using this same BG account? Was it using the password reset of this forum and not the wiki?

No user error is what it says. When I use the link to try and fix it it either send me a link to reset password jut never sends a follow up or says my account doesnt exist

So I tried it again and went to Junk settings in my email and flagged @bluegatr.com addresses as safe then 'lo and behold they showed up in Junk. wierd. I got it straight, apparently Outlook is dumb and me, even more so. Thnx for the help ya'll <3

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

So I tried it again and went to Junk settings in my email and flagged @bluegatr.com addresses as safe then 'lo and behold they showed up in Junk. wierd. I got it straight, apparently Outlook is dumb and me, even more so. Thnx for the help ya'll <3
    Good! Glad you got this fixed.

So how do I start a guide? Honestly i dont know if it will be personal or collaborative, but i figure they use the same template, but cant find it.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So how do I start a guide? Honestly i dont know if it will be personal or collaborative, but i figure they use the same template, but cant find it.
    There is no template, but if you want then I can help you format one.