1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 9 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 9 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They could make RDM a melee "caster" by having it have its own set of gear (Similiar to how DRG, MNK, and NIN function) but it'll just have VIT and INT on its left side pieces and use casting accessories. Basically the same way how NIN functions. Though how they'd retro gear would be beyond me aside from sharing caster pieces until 4.0.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

RDM being a melee/caster could work.

You Melee with your sword using standard GCDs like a DRK/MNK that charge up your caster bar. Once full you become a turret caster for burst. This would make the job very interesting from a player standpoint having to work around melee range and also planning for burst phases were you want to be as stationary as possible.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    I also think RDM should be a caster simply because we have only 2 right now. We sorely need another. I am wondering if there is anything to this "omg she looked like a dancer" shit everyone is thinking from the trailer or if we all just got baited.

Either way, I think it will be Samura (tank) and RDM (caster).

Right now DRK and PLD both fight for the MT spot, with DRK usually being picked in magical fights. However, WAR has no parity. Nobody touches WAR or can even replace it well. This tier being so easy meant you can actually do WHM + AST and be fine on every fight. However, you still ALWAYS want a WAR. That's why I think SAM will be the WAR parity, so that way they can make it so SAM could also be brought to a fight instead of a WAR, thus dethroning WAR from being the diva you can't bench.
    I think that SE is probably much better at balancing jobs than they want to show, and the reason why we get different jobs within the same role performing better than others during different content cycles is because this is the goal of their tuning. The idea is to persuade players to try and level/gear up different jobs, while they are seeking the ever changing ideal setup.

This technique can be very obvious in some free-to-play games, where the developers change the game’s meta/balance in favor of some classes/weapons etc. to favor the stuff that they are currently selling (promoting) for real money. And where they not only buff, but also nerf stuff.

In FFXIV, however, this balancing is done so carefully, that one can only wonder if the developers have this sort of technique in their minds. But I would say that this is still a possibility. If we take a look back at any role in ARR and Heavensward, we can notice that (as far as I know):
    – Among tanks: Warriors were underperforming at first. Later on in ARR they were given a favor and made a fine couple with Paladins. When Dark Knight has been added in Heavensward, it outclassed Paladin.
    – Among melee: Dragoon was squishy and somewhat awkward in the beginning and had only Monk to rival it. But later on in ARR Dragoon was given more love, making it a good choice. In Heavensward the balance generally favors Dragoon and Ninja.
    – Among physical ranged DPS: Bard was the only one in ARR. While it started strong in Heavensward, later on it was outperformed by Machinist.
    – Among magical ranged DPS: different raid tiers and different fights favored one or another interchangeably.
    – Among healers: Scholar has always been strong. If you think about it, it is also one of two jobs that has been given such a favor that if you level up one job, you simultaneously get leveled up another one (Summoner). I think that SCH and SMN could have been given such favor in order to make players more interested in them. After all they are two of the harder jobs to master and play because of the necessity to control pets (use more skills). This is also probably why Scholar has never been put into an unfavorable position. As to White Mage, it made a fine pair for Scholar until it has been outperformed by Astrologian in the last content cycle in Heavensward.

I think that in 4.xx – 5.xx we can get another round/cycle of such balancing from SE. I say another round because they prefer not to nerf jobs, knowing how negatively this is perceived by players. They would rather start the process of balancing all over with the new battle system, using only buffs for it.

As far as tanks are concerned, I can easily see the universal tank – Warrior – starting from an unfavorable position again, while getting its power back in later content cycles. And later on the balancing between the other two tanks would be handled by giving one or another the favor depending on which type of damage will prevail in the raid tier (physical or magical).

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post

You Melee with your sword using standard GCDs like a DRK/MNK that charge up your caster bar. Once full you become a turret caster for burst. This would make the job very interesting from a player standpoint having to work around melee range and also planning for burst phases were you want to be as stationary as possible.
    BRD and MCH are already closer to casters than what you are describing, and we still don't categorize them as casters.

I think you guys are trying too hard.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post

I feel like they should make it so they preform melee GCD combos to build up charges that stack. Spend 1 stack to make their spells become oGDCs (offensive or defensive spells) and then you weave instant cast spells between your melee GCDs. Give them enspells for debuffs applied to the boss similar to MCH auto turret.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd bet money with refresh being a stable ability in XI that RDM would have MP management similar to DRK.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

as far as new jobs go I actually expect there to be 3 more jobs. 1 tank, 1 healer and 1 DPS.
    because if they did that it would put the ratio of tank to healer to dps jobs to be 1 : 1 : 2, just like duty finder. granted distribution of jobs in the game isn't equal, the proportion of roles would kinda match up.

apart from the DF roles (Tank/Healer/DPS), there is the distinction between DPS roles that has been made earlier on in this thread (ranged phys/ranged magic/melee), but theres one other categorization which i think is an important factor in considering new jobs.. and that is.. job itemization.

right now, all jobs fit within 7 job archetype gearsets

fending - tanks / heavy armor (mostly metal)
    healing - healers / not armor (mostly cloth)
    maiming - melee / heavy armor (mostly metal)
    striking - melee / light armor (mostly leather)
    scouting - melee / not armor (mostly cloth)
    aiming - physical ranged / light armor (mostly leather)
    casting - magical ranged / not armor (mostly cloth)

now there are 2 obvious reasons for such distinctions. firstly, primary stat used, and secondly, job flavor.
    from a development point of view, it seems quite unlikely that they'll add another archetype because there are already a good variety of options around and some of them are quite underused (maiming / striking / scouting only belong to 1 job each). adding a new archetype also means going back to old content and adding 1 additional set to every tier of gear in the game - which is quite a fair bit of work. even in HW all 3 jobs added used existing archetypes.

however, based on the way they currently categorize jobs, it also means that jobs won't be able to have a lot of flavor unless they are changed radically.
    Take Red Mage for example, which is all but confirmed at this point. The job is traditionally known to be more physically able, being able to wield melee weapons and cast magic - to that extent, it would seem odd if they were made to wear only cloth robes when they wield melee weapons. On the other hand tho, you couldn't just put them on Scouting gear unless their primary stat is DEX, which also seems quite odd. So the dilemma really is, unless RDM deviates from typical mage primary stat, its stuck looking like a ranged caster, even if it could be a melee mage.

to give a more extreme example.. right now all tanks and all healers run on the same stats, and this in turn determines what they can wear. If Dancer were a healer job (think FFXI's version), it should be pretty agile / nimble and should be wearing something similar to Scouting gear visually and wouldnt make a lot of sense to put them on current healing gear. Of course this wouldn't be an issue if its primary stat were DEX, since dancing is about movement of the body, and not mind, but this requires them to change up primary stats. I kinda hope they do.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

I don't think we'll see 3 jobs in Stormblood because Yoshida said they will likely never release 3 jobs at the same time again after HW.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

oh in that case probably 2 dps using more of the maiming/striking/aiming gear

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah, because we need more Melee DPS.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

As regards the expansion of items inventory space, I can understand why the news about it have been met with such enthusiasm, this is an acute problem after all. However, I don’t see any grounds for hype just yet.

Do you remember what happened when Heavensward has been released? Before its release players were led to believe that the inventory space problem would be solved (at least partly) by giving them access to more retainers. Did SE actually allow to hire more retainers? Yes, it did. But has that solution made most players happy? No, it hasn’t, because none of the additional retainers have become available for free. All SE has done – it allowed to hire the maximum of 8 retainers instead of 6 as part of their additional retainers optional service, by paying a real money monthly fee for each additional retainer.

Now, have they announced that the expanded inventory space would become available to all players in Stormblood for free? No, once again, they haven’t.

Moreover, they don’t even promise these “extreme” changes to inventory space at the expansion launch:
    – Additionally, players will see an “extreme” expansion to the inventory system. According to Yoshida, this was a “serious technical challenge” to implement, so players actually may not see this change until sometime after the expansion and Update 4.0 are rolled out. This new inventory system required “major” upgrades to Square Enix’s server infrastructure. (Digital Trends).
    – ... The item expansion will be rolled out over time to make sure the servers can handle the strain.(US Gamer).
    From business point of view is does make sense to promise to solve the inventory space problem in the next expansion for PR reasons, and if they know that their solution won’t satisfy most players it also makes sense to postpone the actual implementation of the solution until a later date.

Another thing to remember is that Shards, Crystals and Clusters are also part of the inventory. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the only part of inventory that is going to be expanded for free (because they are going to introduce some new crystals for crafters), and that they will also add a little more space to the Armory Chest so that it could hold a set of gear and weapons for each of the game’s classes simultaneously. And the rest of the inventory expansion could be optional for a fee. I can already imagine what excuse SE is going to use in this case: that the new server infrastructure requires additional funding to maintain. =)

I personally don’t ever expect them to decrease pressure on items inventory space that is available to players for free, because they are making a lot of money on it. I’m sure that it is a part of the game’s design from the beginning, and they’ve been only increasing the level of monetization of the game since its release so far.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

People like me are the reason they need to raise the inventory space. I have 8 retainers filled and constantly have inventory problems. I will continue to pay them money for 8 retainers regardless of inventory space to put more items on the AH and also do more Ventures per day.

My main cause of inventory problems is I will not throw away armor sets because of glamour. I think I own nearly every glamour item in the game outside of the 2 new ones they added and various Alexandrian items. They need to put a better glamour inventory system badly and it would fix my personal issue.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyoko View Post
    People like me are the reason they need to raise the inventory space. I have 8 retainers filled and constantly have inventory problems. I will continue to pay them money for 8 retainers regardless of inventory space to put more items on the AH and also do more Ventures per day.

My main cause of inventory problems is I will not throw away armor sets because of glamour. I think I own nearly every glamour item in the game outside of the 2 new ones they added and various Alexandrian items. They need to put a better glamour inventory system badly and it would fix my personal issue.
    I think someone brought up making a glamour book at some point on the OF. I'm not certain if it received a lot of support but it made a lot of sense. Acquire the armor once at some point and then just have it added to the book. You can call up the glamour and apply it to armor through the normal glamour catalysts.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah, I had 8 retainers for a while for the same reason. money got tight so out they went, but the gear is all still there, waiting.

A glamour book or index like in Guild Wars 2 is appealing from a user standpoint, but it's very tricky from a database management one. There are already over 9k distinct items, and somewhere over 7 million characters. At even one bit per type, that ends up being around 63 gigabytes of database investment -- and every major patch or free login campaign adds to that. Split across 64 server's that not completely unmanageable, but it's probably comparable to the data structures necessary to add about 8 new inventory pages. Part of why they're so limited about what can go in the armor.

The right answer is to rebuild the server architecture so it could do both of those things, but that's not a trivial task. If you have to choose between the two options, a lotta folk are gonna err toward inventory spaces usable for anything, rather than twenty different colour rings and three types of subligars.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Plus they can save glamour wardrobe for 5.0 or beyond to get people running ancient content by then.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I could see them starting small and doing dungeon sets, i90 and i210 artifact gear sets can easily be reobtained if you ever want that image. All of coil sans fcob weapons can be crafted, Gordias, Midas and Alexander will probably be as laughable to farm as coil is currently if people really want those sets once 5.0 comes out that and they'll probably give us a crafted version so you don't have to sit and farm forever.

So other than dungeon sets, tower and ark are the only sets we don't have crafted versions of which I could also see them added to a glamour book and then slowly expanding. I cannot see them adding crafted gear to the book because that would kill any reason to craft it in the first place. Once you have it in your book you never have to buy it again meaning there is a finite number of an item that needs to be in the game to satisfy people on your server.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    So other than dungeon sets, tower and ark are the only sets we don't have crafted versions of which I could also see them added to a glamour book and then slowly expanding. I cannot see them adding crafted gear to the book because that would kill any reason to craft it in the first place. Once you have it in your book you never have to buy it again meaning there is a finite number of an item that needs to be in the game to satisfy people on your server.
    Right now i wouldn't say there is much of a market for some gear as is. I think this would have a reverse effect by creating a greater demand. Possibly destroy or soulbind the gear when adding to the glamour book. You now create a market to satisfy collectors while maintaining its market as leveling gear. Considering you have people who don't GC seal/desynth gear now as they fall out of favor and new gear is released every 3 months this really is only boon for crafters and the market as a whole.

Really it might give older sets a last hurrah as people will want it when its goes cheap.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I cannot see them adding crafted gear to the book because that would kill any reason to craft it in the first place. Once you have it in your book you never have to buy it again meaning there is a finite number of an item that needs to be in the game to satisfy people on your server.
    This is already the way crafted gear works now.

You buy the crafted item.
    You glam it; it's now bound to you.

Unless you're saying that crafters are re-selling the same glam items to the same person over and over (who keeps throwing them away), this would be no change from the current system. Crafters make their glamour sales money from selling items to new buyers, not repeat customers.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Its also how WoW functions. The moment something is bound to you its in your wardrobe.