1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 16 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 16 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i might be remembering wrongly but i think they renamed a 51+ trial by dropping the "(Hard)"

Based on what we know about development plans there don't seem to be any plans to explore Xelphatol at all, which is why they gave it to us in an instanced dungeon.. but there is also no telling how much of the area we would have been able to explore if it were open world. We also will probably have a chance to visit it a second time in Xelphatol (Hard). I also anticipate they may be able to find innovative ways to reuse existing dungeon instances apart from being pure dungeons - All Saints Wake is a seasonal event, but Haunted Manor does set a precedent for that.

Unlike XI I expect new expansions to follow the existing content mold (ie. FATES, dungeons, trials, raids) that XIV has, because XI didn't have a fixed content structure so most content were closed systems and introducing new ones would entail developing new types of content.

That being said HW already introduced a few new types of instanced content - Diadem (which ultimately flopped), Aquapolis (which was decently well received), and Deep Dungeon (which was a huge success). I expect there to be more "off-DF" events like this in 4.0 which may follow in the same vein or be entirely different. The Forbidden Land of Eureka will be one of these, and I hope they pull it off well this time.

Besides that, they also need to introduce meaningful content to the open world so it feels less like a lobby. I've always thought they missed that opportunity in XIV. Popped NMs would be a great addition to the world - they already have the Treasure Hunt system which is essentially that. They'd just need to make the pops more predictable or introduce a tier system and I think it would be pretty interesting.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

One of the bigger issues with the XIV content cycle though is trying to keep things relevant. Between Aquapolis and Deep Dungeon we're now seeing a trend of glamour-as-reward for the lower level content.

I'm more curious to see what Eureka comes with for its 24 hour NM reward and if they'll keep its rewards up to date or leave it to glamour.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    One of the bigger issues with the XIV content cycle though is trying to keep things relevant. Between Aquapolis and Deep Dungeon we're now seeing a trend of glamour-as-reward for the lower level content.

I'm more curious to see what Eureka comes with for its 24 hour NM reward and if they'll keep its rewards up to date or leave it to glamour.
    Rewards keep things relevant unfortunately, 99% of players do things for the reward.

But they should at least put i-level sync on all non current content. Blowing through overgeared is just meh.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    ^

So instead of "expanding" in a sense, they can turn regions for storyline dungeon purposes..since I guess it takes less work/"can do more" with it?
    I would think it's more work, no? Lots more variables when it's programmed to handle, no? (i.e. duty finder code, goal coding, specific enemy placement, boss mechanic coding)

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    Rewards keep things relevant unfortunately, 99% of players do things for the reward.

But they should at least put i-level sync on all non current content. Blowing through overgeared is just meh.
    Isn't minimum ilevel sync already an option?

Blowing through outdated content overgeared is just fine, because it's outdated content. If you think any sane person is going to sit through newbies learning Titan EX from scratch at original ilevel, you are not being realistic.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Forcing ilvl sync would be a great way to kill Wondrous Tails immediately. Fuck trying to do all that garbage synced in pugs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Isn't minimum ilevel sync already an option?

Blowing through outdated content overgeared is just fine, because it's outdated content. If you think any sane person is going to sit through newbies learning Titan EX from scratch at original ilevel, you are not being realistic.
    Its an option, but no-one uses it.

But there is Party Finder, and if you make the rewards relevant, then people will do it. Hell, make the bonus tomes be something like 1k tomes. Or give tokens that can be exchanged for materia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    Forcing ilvl sync would be a great way to kill Wondrous Tails immediately. Fuck trying to do all that garbage synced in pugs.
    Wonderous Tails was dead on release when it was a shitshow of RNG. Make the rewards decent (which they sort of are) and reliable to get, then people will do it. People do the roulettes for tomes, and it would apply to this too.

huh, at least on my server, WT is alive and well, everyone I know does it every single week.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I agree that there should be more incentives to run content at min ilevel (guaranteed music scrolls are not enough) but you're delusional if you think Wondrous Tails was dead on release, there are PFs up for it all the time and in my experience everyone I know complete it most weeks. I'd say it was a decent addition, even if it's not very useful for raiders.

As for incentives, I'd enjoy some sort of weekly quest that asks you to do a few ilevel capped trials/raids for a chance at things like oils/twines, maybe relevant ilevel gear. Or just do as you said, make another Wondrous Tails-type of book that only involves min ilevel content, aimed at organized groups, and give it rewards to match the effort.

There's a lot they could do with the min ilevel system, they just clearly have no interest in doing so.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Wonderous Tails was dead on release when it was a shitshow of RNG. Make the rewards decent (which they sort of are) and reliable to get, then people will do it. People do the roulettes for tomes, and it would apply to this too.
    I agree the RNG kills my desire to keep doing it long term and out would massively benefit from something that lessens it. Maybe make the maximum seals 12 to significantly increase odds but still not guarantee 3 lines every week. Or kill two birds with one stone, give 3 bonus objective that have to be completed with min ilvl sync.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Incorrect. WT is one of the more active events that occur in game. If you want to change it, offer more stamps for completing duties with Min Isync. The RNG of the tails does not need to be stomped out or changed to be more lenient. You're not suppose to walk with every prize from the book and you can already guarantee 2 lines every week.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I've honestly never seen people doing it, maybe its different on other servers. As far as I know, there isn't a way of guaranteeing 2 lines every week without a huge amount of re-rolls.

I personally liked the idea of it, but doing stuff unsynced really isn't fun and the rewards don't give me any meaningful progression in the game.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I make WT parties all the time, they fill up fast. The new anima quest fits in well for WT as well, doing Trial: Leveling while doing your books.

1300 Lore this week is really nice if you can get 2 lines.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

I've never had an issue getting 2 or being setup on the field to finish two. The most amount of rolls it's taken me is 5. You can get away on second chance rolls primarily running trial roulette as a tank or healer, or if your really bored mentor roulette. The event overall is fairly positive.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I've honestly never seen people doing it, maybe its different on other servers. As far as I know, there isn't a way of guaranteeing 2 lines every week without a huge amount of re-rolls.

I personally liked the idea of it, but doing stuff unsynced really isn't fun and the rewards don't give me any meaningful progression in the game.
    I mean, if you're raiding there's very little that could give you meaningful progression the way things are setup. Personally I do Tails because it takes less than an hour per week to complete the book with my static and I can turn the materias/lore into gil.

I have to imagine people working on relics, catching up, or gearing up multiple jobs get more mileage/excitement out of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    ^

So instead of "expanding" in a sense, they can turn regions for storyline dungeon purposes..since I guess it takes less work/"can do more" with it?
    It'd probably easier to touch on an area through a dungeon, if you know that the direction you're taking the game, you're not likely to touch that area in a long while. Like if we're going to deal with Ala Mhigo and the Imperials, maybe we wouldn't even have the possibility to touch that "zone" until many years down the road. It might be stupid to try and pigeonhole a Xelphatol zone in a Ala Mihgo expansion when your focus is on a completely different threat.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

IDK what's happening on your servers but Midgardsormr is flooded with WT parties every weekend, and they're scattered throughout the week too.

@ new areas, I like what they did with Coerthas. Having a few quests there and touching on Ishgard, then building the expansion upon that. When I realized Heavensward was going to build on what we experienced in Coerthas I thought that was such a nice surprise and a good way to re-use old content while still making it feel fresh by expanding upon the lore of the area.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

I’ve seen discussions about whether SE will let players get experience points after level 60 in Heavensward content with the release of Stormblood and whether the first new tomestone gear will be job or role specific. I’d like to add my 5 cents to it in a thread in which I can post. =)

If we take a look back at Heavensward, we’ll see that:
    – SE has enabled players to get XP after level 50 in ARR level 50 dungeons only in patch 3.1. This was also the patch when they’ve substantially increased the amount of XP earned in Heavensward leveling dungeons and introduced leveling up via daily beast tribe quests;
    – the first tomestone (Esoterics) gear sets were job specific. In addition to this, gearing up jobs (battle classes) during the whole first content cycle (patches 3.0x – 3.1x ) was more difficult than in the following content cycles (patches 3.2x – 3.3x and 3.4x – 3.5x), because there used to be fewer sources of getting the most relevant tomestones (the one significant for me is that Heavensward A and S rank elite marks have started to yield tomestones for the most relevant gear only in patch 3.2), there used to be no really useful crafted PvE gear (there was only hard to craft ilvl 180 gear for the left side and ilvl 150 weapons and accessories), getting gear from the Alexander Savage raid was hard due to its high level of difficulty (getting a weapon from Thordan Ex wasn’t so easy either), anima weapons were introduced late in the content cycle (patch 3.15) and didn’t have adjustable stats, the Diadem was not a very popular place for getting relevant aetherial gear since its introduction in patch 3.1 and has not practically been used for this after its loot drop nerf that followed two weeks later.

So in general leveling up and gearing up in the beginning of Heavensward required more time and effort (i.e. grind) than it has become standard later on during the expansion. I think that the main reason for this design choice from Square Enix is that players are more tolerant to the amount of grind required for achieving their goals in the beginning of an expansion, because there’s lots of recently introduced content that feels new, they are more engaged with the game and can go through the same content more amount of times before they feel really bored than through some older content. So SE preferred to take advantage of it and “ask” players to do more grind, while it could do it without much danger that many players would consider the burden of reaching their goals too high and stop doing it altogether. As long as SE can persuade players to do more grind, it means higher player retention (if players go through the limited amount of content fast and have nothing interesting left to do they can also leave) and in the end more income from the game.

I expect SE to do something similar for the same reasons in Stormblood, because this grind for rewards (such as XP and gear with higher ilvl and better stats, that are necessary to unlock and beat higher level content) game design/monetization model (where you pay for playtime/subscription) is at the very core of the game and I don’t see it change.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    and Deep Dungeon (which was a huge success)
    I only feel part of this was due to how Deep Dungeon pretty much replaced FATEs as the go-to for leveling, since SE allowed PotD to be the swiss-army knife to prepping yourself (XP, Gil, glamour shit, tomes and a weapon eventually) for entry lvl60 content on jobs.

The content itself (at least the puggable portion of it) I found to be god-awful boring due to lack of variety.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It also allowed a quick way to get a decent main hand amd trial of level 60 classes.