• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

2016-2017 NCAA College Basketball: Someone else make a better title

So, college basketball has started and we need a new thread!

I don't follow college basketball really at all anymore. Personally, I loved it as a kid. My favorite moment was going to an NCAA 1st Rd/2nd Rd games down at the Nassau Coliseum back in like 2001. I love basketball, but I just have not been able to get into it at all. I think part of it, is my college team to cheer for is UCLA and I never get to see them on TV, being on the east coast.

This past weekend was the armed forces classic. Love seeing 4 high ranked teams palying like that. I didn't watch, but saw the beginning of the first game. Was dissappointed to see that they were in an arena, and not on the carrier like theyve done before. Was even more dissappointed to see how empty the arena was.

Anyways, I cant offer any analysis or preview, so I'll post the rankings and leave that all to someone else!

AP Top 25:

1. Duke (58)
    2. Kentucky (1)
    3. Villanova (5)
    4. Oregon
    5. North Carolina
    6. Indiana (1)
    7. Kansas
    8. Virginia
    9. Wisconsin
    10. Arizona
    11. Xavier
    12. Louisville
    13. Michigan State
    14. Gonzaga
    15. Purdue
    16. UCLA
    17. Saint Mary's
    18. Syracuse
    19. West Virginia
    20. Iowa State
    21. Rhode Island
    22. Creighton
    23. Texas
    24. Cincinnati
    25. California

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

As a reminder, tonight/tomorrow is the season kickoff on ESPN. Games started tonight and go all night and all day tomorrow! I love that they started doing this a couple years ago. Yea, it's a little lulzy for the stunt that it is, like a game being played at 6:30am Eastern in Hartford, but the atmosphere is still awesome.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I don't follow as closely with the LSU program in the doldrums. Until march madness I mainly watch to see the top NBA prospects, and there are a shit ton this year

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Baylor took #4 Oregon out behind the woodshed. ..won by 17

GATTACA!

BG Level

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Linking this for those that what an idea of the top freshman in the country. 4+ of those guys playing the UK v. Sparty game right now

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

UCLA up 14 on Kentucky, at Kentucky, with 930 to go in the game

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Most points allowed by Kentucky under Caliperi

Get rekt Kentucky!!

U-C L-A!!!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski will undergo back surgery Friday, the school announced Monday.

Krzyzewski is expected to coach Wednesday against Georgia Tech and then step away for the surgery to remove a fragment of a herniated disk in his lower back. The procedure has an anticipated recovery time of four weeks.

"His back has been bothering him way worse than he's let on," a source told ESPN.

Associate head coach Jeff Capel will coach the team while Krzyzewski recovers. Capel's first game will be Saturday against Boston College.
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ue-back-issues

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

FSU defeated Virginia Tech yesterday to take sole possession of 1st place in the ACC. Noles are 15-1, and riding an 11 game win streak. Duke comes to town on Tuesday night. The hype train is for real right now in Tallahassee. Choo choo, motherfuckers.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Boss hooked me up with suite tickets for tonight's FSU/Duke game, kick ass.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Noles beat Duke yeeeeeeah fuck Grayson Allen.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Noles beat Duke yeeeeeeah fuck Grayson Allen.
    Did you see Prince Joffrey shove the FSU asst coach?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I did! But that coach has made a statement saying he doesn't think he was pushed and has no beef and told people to chill out on Grayson. But nah, fuck that douche.

GATTACA!

BG Level

I did! But that coach has made a statement saying he doesn't think he was pushed and has no beef and told people to chill out on Grayson. But nah, fuck that douche.
    He definitely pushed him lol, that coach was just taking the high road.

GATTACA!

BG Level

to echo a comment I saw somewhere, we should be thankful we have such a hateable Duke player around. the Justise Winslow team was too likeable

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I know most don't give a shit about college basketball and care even less about women's college basketball. But the UConn Huskies team broke their record and are now on a 91 win streak!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I know most don't give a shit about college basketball and care even less about women's college basketball. But the UConn Huskies team broke their record and are now on a 91 win streak!
    More people would probably care about the women's game if UConn wasn't so dominant. It's to the point where their dominance is detrimental to the sport. Everyone is just playing for the privilege of losing to UConn in the tournament. And it's not like they are just winning games--they dominate them, often by 40-60 points. It's bad.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

More people would probably care about the women's game if UConn wasn't so dominant. It's to the point where their dominance is detrimental to the sport. Everyone is just playing for the privilege of losing to UConn in the tournament. And it's not like they are just winning games--they dominate them, often by 40-60 points. It's bad.
    It certainly feels that way, doesn't it? UConn's the only storyline in the sport that anyone knows. I loosely follow Oregon State, who is a strong program right now, and last year the first thing I checked when they announced the tournament was "How long can we avoid UConn?" because that's the only thing that matters. The answer was the Final Four, and the Lady Beavers (heh) made it that far, lost to UConn by 29, and still finished ranked #2 in the country. 29 points (in a game where UConn rested most of their starters in the 4th quarter) is the difference between UConn and the #2 team.

The difference probably isn't as big this year, but still, it's just ... anticlimactic.

That being said, maybe UConn being that dominant is actually good for a relative fringe sport such as Womens' College Basketball. If it weren't for them, nobody would know anything about the sport. And people might tune in for the first quarter if they're playing to see how good they are, and might tune in for the 4th quarter if someone has a chance at beating them, whereas otherwise, most people don't care in the least about womens' college basketball.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial

Musburger fully retiring after calling the Kentucky/UGA game.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This is the best worst flop I think I've ever seen.