FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Another one finally calls it how it is:

It's funny watching the kids finally understand the reason why there are still SF2 and SF3 players to this day. As amazing as it may sound, nearly all SF2 players tried SF3, and the ones that hated it went back to SF2. Similarly, nearly all SF3 (and SF2!) players tried SF4, and the ones that hated it went back to the game they liked.

If Smug and Bonchan and other SF4 players want to go back to SF4, more power to them! Because right now USF4 looks like it's on the way to joining Alpha 3 in the "games no one wants to play anymore" section of SF history.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Because right now USF4 looks like it's on the way to joining Alpha 3 in the "games no one wants to play anymore" section of SF history.
    Based on what?

There was about 50-60 cabinets / systems set up at the 24/hr arcade at jebailey land during CEO.

3 of which were for SFV while there were twice that setup for SFIV with 3-4 people at each station. There were more people playing Marvel 2 / Alpha 3 than there were playing V for the entirety of the weekend. None of the top players were playing or practicing V outside hotel rooms for top players, whereas everyone from Brian F. to chinese players were running sets in SFIV.

Stop talking out of your ass.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    Based on what?
    Tournaments. I'm not counting BYOC casuals.

And it sounds like you're saying there were plenty of people there also playing Alpha 3, so... OK? Nobody cares about being good in either of those games anymore, which is not to say that you can't have fun playing them. I had lots of fun playing EX2 at the BYOC section of NCR.

For what it's worth, I anticipate MVC3 will have a similar trajectory: the moment MVCI is released, what remains of competitive MVC3 will cease to exist.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Tournaments. I'm not counting BYOC casuals.

And it sounds like you're saying there were plenty of people there also playing Alpha 3, so... OK? Nobody cares about being good in either of those games anymore, which is not to say that you can't have fun playing them. I had lots of fun playing EX2 at the BYOC section of NCR.

For what it's worth, I anticipate MVC3 will have a similar trajectory: the moment MVCI is released, what remains of competitive MVC3 will cease to exist.
    What you're saying isn't wrong, and it's pretty sad.

SFV is ass, and MvC:I is partially ass. And it's sad. USFIV is a solid enough game that still could have done for more adjustments, but is far more viable to play than SFV. Remember when the large majority of this thread (including me) was shitting all over various iterations of SFIV? Yeah, how about that now? lol.

The problem is that the scene will move on regardless to the next new video game on the horizon, even if it's unfinished and/or absolute shit. The NRS games is the other biggest example.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    The problem is that the scene will move on regardless to the next new video game on the horizon, even if it's unfinished and/or absolute shit.
    This is usually true... though there are some exceptions, ST and 3S being the most notable ones.

MVC2, and to a lesser extent CVS2, occupy a weird space in that both of those games were the top-level competitive fighters for many years without an update or a successor. It seems like the tournament scene for both of those games is also largely burned-out, but it's a bit more understandable there given the length of time where those were the only games in town.

Basically, CVS2 killed both A3 and 3S when they were only a couple of years old, but only 3S managed to regain popularity. SF5 killed USF4; whether USF4 takes the memory-hole path of A3 or the resurrection path of 3S is still up for debate.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

This is usually true... though there are some exceptions, ST and 3S being the most notable ones.

MVC2, and to a lesser extent CVS2, occupy a weird space in that both of those games were the top-level competitive fighters for many years without an update or a successor. It seems like the tournament scene for both of those games is also largely burned-out, but it's a bit more understandable there given the length of time where those were the only games in town.

Basically, CVS2 killed both A3 and 3S when they were only a couple of years old, but only 3S managed to regain popularity. SF5 killed USF4; whether USF4 takes the memory-hole path of A3 or the resurrection path of 3S is still up for debate.
    Indeed, I remember those days, though I never put in work into CVS2. It was very interesting how 3S came back -- I want to say the advent of video recording on the internet (before YouTube obviously) saved that game. I straight up hated A3 (die hard A2 fan here!) so no love lost when that game went away.

MvC2 definitely had that niche in that the popularity hinged on how the Gods of that game kept it going -- the fun in both playing and watching that game be played was the idea that maybe one day you (or someone) could reach the level to challenge the top players -- players who really made it shine with it's absolutely broken gameplay.

I don't think that USFIV will ever regain the popularity it once had, though I'm sure we will see some short-man tournaments with big money on the line soon... when SFV matures more. The big big "eSports money" has moved over to SFV -- that's the current game on rotation, and more so that's the game that Capcom wants promoted so they can make more sales.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

It shames me to say (partially), but I'm fine with SFIV dying simply because the graphics are painful to look at nowadays. That's the problem with polygons vs. sprites. Sprites are functionally immortal if the art style was good originally. I have 0 issue watching or playing OG SF2, alpha, or any of the old ones, but seeing those massive dumpster hands and feet in SFIV now that V and other games are out... its painful to look at.

If they wanna do a SFIV remaster and update the art style yet keep the systems and frame data the same? Sign me the hell up for another ride on the Rufus express, but aside from that? I hope I never see it in another major tournament again. I'd rather watch X Tekken if I have to look at that engine because at least that game was goofy as all hell to match the art ascetic.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Uhg, I'd be for that if they got the Tekken 7 treatment instead of the SFV claymation treatment.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

FWIW, I really like Injustice 2 when you're looking at stillshots or cutscenes. Gameplay animations are a different matter.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

For those that missed it:

1. This terrible video was posted by John D all over social media.
    2. This terrible video was deleted by John D all over social media.

-Why?

1. It contains SFV footage for no reason, at all.
    2. It contains SFV footage from a modder that hacked the game and put Juri in versus, when she was only available for Story mode.

-Ok, any other reasons why?

3. It was a video created by Capcom USA and meant for an internal meeting (proposal/acceptance) to Capcom Japan.

John D is literally the worst employee Capcom has ever employed. Any decent company would have fired the shit out of him, over a year ago. If this shit doesn't put your faith in Capcom fighters at an absolute 0%, then you've legit got downs.

https://streamable.com/rmkp6

Edit: The cherry on top - 14/16 players for Capcom Cup 2017 will be qualified via the ONLINE leaderboard, which is basically guaranteed to be backed by awful netcode. Not to mention a clusterfuck of people from random countries who won't be able to the attend at the last minute.

Edit 2: Forgot the chocolate - This reminded me of how terrible their point system is on SFV, and also how it is still broken like 18 months later..(or however long ago that garbage released).

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Go outside bro.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Go outside bro.
    I can't because I like $!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

is there a rehost elsewhere? that one got taken down

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It's up until it's down.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Like some people on r/kappa pointed out, why are Saint and Hungrybox in it?

Really need to look no farther that Capcom doesn't give a shit in that John D still has a job. Berates people on social media and just all around seems to be fucking awful at every aspect of his job.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Edit: The cherry on top - 14/16 players for Capcom Cup 2017 will be qualified via the ONLINE leaderboard, which is basically guaranteed to be backed by awful netcode. Not to mention a clusterfuck of people from random countries who won't be able to the attend at the last minute.
    Just to make this clear, this would be for MVCI at Capcom Cup 2017. The same MVCI that is releasing in late September 2017, and is somehow getting into Capcom Cup all of two months later.
    So apparently, Capcom SHOULD be doing one of the following for 2017 instead:

1) Use the 12 CPT tournaments (10 of which are outside USA) between MVCI release and CPT Finals to qualify and seed players for 2017
    2) Ignore MVCI for 2017 Capcom Cup altogether

Capcom is, indeed, a bunch of jerks for giving players a chance to win tens of thousands of dollars in MVCI this year.

And for the record: 2018 Capcom Cup would be slated to use normal qualifying rules. Because there's an entire year instead of two months to collect a field of players.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

so i'm not terribly savvy about the inner workings of licensing and related business arrangements, but uhh... do amazon/google typically pay licensing fees to videogame publishers? or is this a hypothetical that capcom believes they can extract? and how much of CPT's viability is tied to receiving those fees?

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It seems like a significant portion of that plan is based on the current CPT structure for SF5, but more. I don't know how much of it currently exists.

BG Level

At least, it makes a lot more sense now why this game looks like a completely rushed pile of shit. They won't delay it because they want it to make CC 2017 for "exploitation' $ lmao.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries